Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you get the most out of a 75' 2.0?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 47
I just bought a 75' in excellent condition with only 62k miles. It has has a dual Webber conversion w/o cracking the engine open to put a cam in.

While this car is an excellent survivor I'm pretty sure I'm going to back date the bumpers. dismantel it enough to get rid of the small surface rust in the rear trunk, and at the bottom of the door seams (very minor) and repaint it.

I want to get the most out of the GC 2.0 (88 hp) engine. I don't need to go overboard looking for HP...my daily driver has 555 HP and pulls over 1g in corners, so my need for speed won't be from the 914...my need for fun will.

In my previous 914's I've never had a true 2.0...a couple of 1.8's with a "big bore" 2.0 kit is what I've had in the past...they would blow the doors oof this 75' 2.0.

Granted, I've only had the car a couple days...and the tune is not the best but it just seems way down on power.
TROJANMAN
Remove the smog equipment if it is still there.
Backdate the exhaust, preferably to SSI heat exchangers, if not, at least 73-74 stock exchangers, or headers.
Ditch the big black rubber bouncy baby bumpers
tod914
Triad and SSE's will get you close to 100hp.
realred914
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 4 2010, 08:16 PM) *

100 Hp seem a bit high for a low compression smog year motor. even with the auxilary smog stuff removed, it is still low compression. (plus a sucky cam for max power) you could shave the heads a bit if the bottom end is still good enough to handle it. hold on to the smog stuff it is getting valuable specially in smog test states. be aware your state may at anytime require smog tests, so use caution with modifications.

good luck!!
Bleyseng
QUOTE(realred914 @ Jun 4 2010, 08:58 PM) *

100 Hp seem a bit high for a low compression smog year motor. even with the auxilary smog stuff removed, it is still low compression. (plus a sucky cam for max power) you could shave the heads a bit if the bottom end is still good enough to handle it. hold on to the smog stuff it is getting valuable specially in smog test states. be aware your state may at anytime require smog tests, so use caution with modifications.

good luck!!

Low compression? The compression ratio from 73 to 76 2.0L is the same, 7.6 to 1 unless you have Euro flat top pistons 8 to 1. Same stock cam as the 73-76 cars so where did the hp go from 95hp to 88hp. The exhaust system! Switch to the 73-74 setup and get the hp back and tune the car up correctly. Make sure it has the carbsI parts so it runs right and clean and rebuild the dizzy so the advance works right.
realred914
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 5 2010, 02:16 AM) *

QUOTE(realred914 @ Jun 4 2010, 08:58 PM) *

good luck!!

Low compression? The compression ratio from 73 to 76 2.0L is the same, 7.6 to 1 unless you have Euro flat top pistons 8 to 1. Same stock cam as the 73-76 cars so where did the hp go from 95hp to 88hp. The exhaust system! Switch to the 73-74 setup and get the hp back and tune the car up correctly. Make sure it has the carbsI parts so it runs right and clean and rebuild the dizzy so the advance works right.

some of the power was lost to smog tuning/equipment beyond exhuast. 100 hp is a stretch for this motor with an exhaust change. thats more power than the stock early 914 2.0 motor
ChrisFoley
If you don't mind paying for it, the most power you can get out of an unmodified Type 4 will will come from installing a Tangerine EVO exhaust system.
The torque improvement over your stock '75 exhaust will be 15 lb-ft or more. Peak hp will be above 100.
Tangerine EVO 914 Headers
Tom
I can't tell you what the power difference was because I never drove the car before beginning to work on it. It had a leaking trans main seal.
76 2.0. Removed the old exhaust and installed SSHE's and Triad. Then removed all of the smog stuff and stored it. With a fresh tune up it ran great. Even had a more experienced guy try it out and he said it ran like a 2.0. I assumed he meant a presmog 2.0.
There is a lot of stuff to do to remove the smog. You will need to cap the air injection pipes at the head near the intake. Also you will need some heater tin from a 74 or earlier to get the heat to work. 75/76 use some different J-pipes, etc.
All together less that $1,000. Oh and I love the Triad. I've had people ask me if it is a 6. Ha, I wish!
Tom
Drums66
.....Goose it!!!!!!!!! boldblue.gif thumb3d.gif

P.S. after you do some of the things above?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.