Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: performance air dam
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I want to replace the stock front valance with an air dam. I have had very good results in the past with the Flex Dam and the front end lowered all the way down. I ordered one from AA over a month ago and it's on
" permo- back-o ". headbang.gif

I would like an air dam that makes a differance.

Whatta ya got?
Do you know of a street/racing air dam that gets it done? cool_shades.gif

trekkor
Trekkor
Here's the '75 I enjoyed so much.

The lowest edge of the dam is at the same height as the lowest point of the rim of the wheel.

Could't clear a school lunch milk carton! clap56.gif

Help me get happy.

trekkor
Brad Roberts
Nobody can get those right now. I dont quite understand why, but for some reason the mould owner is NOT cranking them out. I have had several requests for that particular air dam.

B
campbellcj
I ordered a different one weeks ago, the "ultimate" spoiler or some crap like that (the really deep one with the brake ducts and splitter lip) and same deal...indefinite backorder, at least 2-3 weeks but we're going on 4 already.

What's up with the suppliers?

[warning, mini rant follows]

Since we got on this topic (LOL) I should mention that a bunch of sellers carry this particular part. I checked Performance first since they are local and I could potentially save a bunch on shipping since it's oversize. They told me it was backordered for at least a few weeks and I could either order it, or just check back later. OK, so I went to the "other" PP. They said, "this part usually ships in 1-2 days". So I bit the hook and pumped in the Visa number. THEN a day or two later I get the email saying that the part is actually backordered. Haven't heard a peep since then.

I guess "usually" is the operative word i.e. the disclaimer recommended by the lawyers. ph34r.gif

I have complained to Wayne about this issue in the past but same old, same old. sad.gif

Am I just spoiled by all the various vendors I deal with who get me my stuff in 2-3 days??? Or maybe it is partly due to the fact that I provide software (in other industries) that provides up-to-the-second visibility over inventory / pricing / status etc.? The technology to track the "supply chain" in near-real-time, and even push backorders or "wants" up the chain, has been around for years...maybe it will trickle down to lowly 914 owners in a few more?

[/end mini rant]
Brad Roberts
Not gonna happen. I have yet to run across a 30 year old Porsche parts place that has a inventory control system in place. Tweeks (when it was Tweeks) *might* have had something.

I'm dealing with this issue RIGHT now. How do you inventory 48k sq ft of 30 year old "shit" ? I'm talking stuff on shelves to the ceiling.

I want better inventory control.. I have NO idea what we have until I or somebody else goes looking for it. Not fun.

B
nine14cats
Hey Chris,

The spoiler I think you are referring to in the Performance Products catalogue with the air ducts and splitter is actually built by Roger Sheridan. I picked 2 up from him. I actually bought 2 from him, 1 new and 1 with a blem....for 1/2 price...

He'll sell direct if you ask him and he's in Paso Robles....and he's a fountain of info on the phone...I've had several conversations with him and I just talked to him about buying his roof skin... rolleyes.gif

Anyway...you may want to give him a call...(805) 226-0700.

Hopefully the info will help.

Bill P.
campbellcj
Bill, thanks for the tip! Yes it would be great if I could get it right from the source.

BTW I have a roof skin from another supplier and should point out that mounting is left completely up to the imagination (I assume this is the case w/ Roger's version as well.) A tad of fab skills with dzus fasteners or whatnot is required -- just like most "race" f/g parts it's not a plug 'n play situation. But it clearly drops several pounds off the upper extremity of the car.
ninefourteener
Ok... had to chime in here...

This is the "ultimate air dam" from Pelican parts. Some will swear it does nothing..... HOWEVER, I notice a considerable difference in how the front end tracks on the road, particularly on the highway.

BTW... Pelican had it to me in under 2 weeks.... but that was several months ago.

Call it a snowplow if you like... But I love it--LOL

beerchug.gif
Brett W
Check and see if GT racing or AIR have something like what you ar looking for. They could crank it out if you need it. There is another company that does some good Porsche glass work but I can't remember the name. They do airdams, flares, and some sort of cooling fan shroud system.
GaroldShaffer
Call it a snowplow if you like... But I love it--LOL

snowplow snowplow snowplow snowplow there I said it. wink.gif beerchug.gif
ninefourteener
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Apr 6 2004, 06:03 AM)

snowplow snowplow snowplow snowplow there I said it. wink.gif beerchug.gif

finger.gif ................. pissoff.gif

And most importantly.... stones.gif my bootyshake.gif

w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif

beerchug.gif
jonwatts
Wow, someone had the guts to paint your snowplow John Deere green. I like it but I'd hate to hit a parking stop with it. Get some kerb feelers for it wink.gif

As for inventory control, it does kinda suck once you've spent some time on Summit or similar webpages. Those guys seem to have it down to a near science. If it's in stock and early enough in the day then it'll ship that day, and they tell you that in the availability column. If it's backordered then they have a projected ship date. This helped me make an informed part decision just this week. Imagine that.

Also, I don't think they drop-ship, it appears the majority if not everything they carry is warehoused in different places around the country. You know, the old way that actually works.

Brad, you need to market HPH as a kid's playplace. Give them a part number and a flashlight and send them into the warehouse. If they come out with the right part they get a cookie.
ninefourteener
John Deere Green????? confused24.gif

Curb feelers are on the list..... right after the purple velvet interior, gold-plating my fuchs, and the little bobble-head Jesus on the dash.. w00t.gif
campbellcj
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Apr 6 2004, 07:06 AM)
As for inventory control, it does kinda suck once you've spent some time on Summit or similar webpages. Those guys seem to have it down to a near science. If it's in stock and early enough in the day then it'll ship that day, and they tell you that in the availability column. If it's backordered then they have a projected ship date.

I ordered (online) a bunch of plumbing and hardware bits from Jegs a couple weeks ago, on a Friday afternoon IIRC.

A couple hours later I realized that I had ordered the wrong size of one particular part on a page-long order, so I emailed them. They replied right back and said "sorry" (LOL), but the order had already been SHIPPED so I'd have to exchange the part later. Sure enough, I had the complete order in my hands 2-3 days later.
campbellcj
ninefourteener -- can you tell me if the "splitter" portion of the spoiler extends out beyond the vertical plane of the bumper? Some of the race groups don't allow that (I will keep my current smaller spoiler to swap as needed for that reason.)

My car is way lower too, so I figure the bottom of the spoiler will be no more than 2" off the ground. I will run it in conjunction with a 6" lip on the back lid. Again, I'll have to keep two rear lids cuz the vintage guys don't allow any aero mods.
Trekkor
I forgot to tell you what AA said about the Flex Dam
availabilty problem. Apparently the mould owner has died. The company it trying to reorganize right now.

Every one gets them from this company I guess.

The AA guys said if I could find them a new vender, they would give me the part at cost.

They thought it might be a few more weeks-
( schyeah hright ). Also said the flex part will be eliminated with entire profile going to fg.

Ninefourteener- I have no problem with your green Sn*wpl*w laugh.gif

I will use one as a second option. The flex dam won't break off.

trekkor
ninefourteener
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Apr 6 2004, 01:00 PM)
ninefourteener -- can you tell me if the "splitter" portion of the spoiler extends out beyond the vertical plane of the bumper? Some of the race groups don't allow that (I will keep my current smaller spoiler to swap as needed for that reason.)

My car is way lower too, so I figure the bottom of the spoiler will be no more than 2" off the ground. I will run it in conjunction with a 6" lip on the back lid. Again, I'll have to keep two rear lids cuz the vintage guys don't allow any aero mods.

To answer your questions, first let me apologize for the crappy cameraphone pics.... its all I have right now.. and its in a poorly lit garage at that.

Top answer your clearance question... yes.. the bumper top comes out about 1 inch further that the forward lip of the spoiler..... the box in the pic was up against the airdam, and the ruler was up against the bumper top...... you've got 1 inch, so you should be safe there...
ninefourteener
To answer your second question.. the airdam sits right at about 5 inches from the ground...... and my car is 100% stock height.

If yours is lowered, you may have clearance probs..
URY914
Here is a few shot of mine.
URY914
aaa
URY914
aaa
URY914
The whole thing is fiberglass. About 2" off the ground.

And no, I don't drive it on the street.

It started life as a "deep limited edition" from AIR and now the bumper and spoiler are one piece.

Paul
ninefourteener
Damn... that car looks sweet!!!

Bla bla bla.... keep braggin........ so your car is lower and faster.

Mine has a roof----LMAO!!!

beerchug.gif
URY914
And you can go to the store in yours, and pick up chicks, and drive in the rain....

Mine, well mine sits in the garage way too much sad.gif

Paul
TimT
There is always the IMSA air dam:
TimT
Phart
TimT
bhurghp
campbellcj
Thanks for the add'l info. I figured it must be "legal" in terms of the bumper clearance, or they wouldn't be selling very many. But it never hurts to check before getting a part you can't use.

My car is lowered a lot but not quite as much as Paul's, I think. Clearance is not an issue as this spoiler will be for track use only, and attached with dzus fasteners to get on/off the trailer etc. No way I would try driving with that thing on the street. With my current spoiler, about 1" higher, I can barely make it out of my own driveway.
URY914
There is something else to think about with a super low spoiler and that is air to the engine.

My car is an autox car so it is not that big of a problem for me. But on a track car you do need some air running under the car to keep things cool.

Something to think about idea.gif

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.