Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it supposed to be this hard?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SpecialK
Finally getting around to assembling my front suspension. I'm installing new polygraphite bushings and they're starting to piss me off!! ar15.gif fighting19.gif headbang.gif , Are they usually rather tight (hell, I need a press) going on the suspension arm? Or am I doing something wrong here? confused24.gif
thesey914
Yes. You need to use a press.
ChrisFoley
Those bushings generally suck!
You don't want them to be very tight on the arm or the suspension will bind. If they went in the housing real tight the crush will make them too tight on the shaft. Did you check the fit on the arm before inserting them in the housing?
cha914
Do a search for these bushings, there have been several threads about installing them. But yes, they are a pain in the ass, and if you don't fit them right like Chris said your suspension will just bind. It took me a good 2 days with various sanding devices and a dremel to get them to fit like I thought they should. I would recomend cutting the spiral grove in the center so you can pack more grease in them.

Good luck,

Tony
Bleyseng
agree.gif

They should fit snugly but they shouldn't bind. You should be able to move the A arm up and down without binding or using a jack when the A arms are mounted. If it is really tight take it apart and sand, grind it down.
One size fits all if you have enough sand paper!

Geoff wacko.gif
Eric_Shea
I've done this on two suspensions in the last year and "no" would be my answer... it shouldn't be that tough at all. I have a press but didn't use it.

One thing I did that may differ, and I would recommend it to "anyone" in this stage of the process is; I took the entire suspension to a sandblaster and had it cleaned down to bare metal. I then repainted it with POR-15. I used two coats on all areas "except" the surface where the bushings would reside. Those areas ony received one coat. My bushing slid on like butter. Tight but like butter...

It's $20-30 bucks depending on the sandblaster you find and it's about $23 for enough POR-15 to do 3-4 suspensions. It would put you another week out (couple days at the blasters and a couple days for both coats of POR-15) but your suspension would be perfect.

My $.02
Eric_Shea
Here's a set I blasted myself (easier to have someone else do it...)
Eric_Shea
Cleaned...
Eric_Shea
Look down toward the bottom in this shot and you'll get an idea what it looks like with the POR-15 applied... Done.
jonwatts
But if it doesn't bind how are you supposed to get that squeak that tells everybody you have upgraded bushings?

Eric, pretty picture. What caliper paint did you use?
Mueller
damn Eric......building a museum piece or what??? LOL

looks nice smile.gif

Craftsman sells a nice 1" diameter drum sanding roll that attaches to your drill motor, it works great for the inside diameter of the bushing.

Make sure that the weldments are fairly round and not oblong due to abuse.
Eric_Shea
Thanks guys...

Eric, pretty picture. What caliper paint did you use?

Stock... S-calipers (aluminum) beadblasted.

Yea, yea... getting a little picky but I "gau-ron-tee" it will be a daily driver. I just figure, while the damn suspension is off why not spend the $50 to make it right so it will last another 30 years? Cheap insurance. blink.gif
Brad Roberts
Why is Mueller telling people how to install plastic bushings ?

B
Mueller
'cause I'm a nice guy smile.gif

besides, when he realizes that plastic is only good for toys, he'll buy my bearings, LOL
Eric_Shea
He's been drinking... drunk.gif
Mueller
damn, I knew that picture would come back to haunt me smile.gif

beer3.gif
davep
I remember one fellow tell me, years ago, to:
1) make sure the holes are clean and round to start with
2) install bushings ( a tight fit )
3) ream bushings to proper size! (this makes sure it is round afterwards)
SpecialK
Thanks guy's! If it weren't for this, and other quality (PP) BBS's, I'd be driving a 914 with suspension like a skateboard! smile.gif ....... a squeeky skateboard.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.