Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help please! Engine not turning all of the sudden...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nick73-914
New owner of a '73 914 1.7 here:

I've been driving her three days now, no problems at all except the idle was a little slower than desirable (dying at stop signs/lights etc.) But the engine is running oh-so strong biggrin.gif . I tried adjusting the decelerator screw by the throttle, opening it up to speed up the idle and also adjusted the knob on the pressure regulator bracket by the battery, after initial adjustment it was idling PERFECTLY, nice speed and depth. I took her out for a spin down the block, pulled into a driveway to turn around and the idle got slow and it died before I could put it in reverse.. no big deal right? well I turned off the key, engaged clutch and tried to start, nothing.. no turning or anything, the battery is two days old so it's not that and the door ajar buzzer came on, along with my hazards.. Any help here form you 914 masters to a youngin? Much appreciated!

Thanks
jimkelly
got oil in the engine?

jim
nick73-914
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jun 6 2010, 07:16 PM) *

got oil in the engine?

jim

Yes oil level appears fine.. Other suggestions?
VaccaRabite
Okay. You say the engine does not turn.
Do you mean to say that it is seized? That when the starter engages it can't turn the motor?

Or do you mean that the starter never engages.

Or do you just mean that the motor does not start running, but the starter works as expected and the motor does actually spin?

There are different meanings to the phrase "turn over" and we need to understand what you mean.

Zach
nick73-914
My best guess would be the starter never engages.. It's been running well and firing up on the first try every time before this, i don't see how the engine could have instantly seized. The motor does not spin, all that's to be heard is a soft whine.. I will check the starter connectors and see if it has voltage
VaccaRabite
Pull the spark plugs.

Raise one rear wheel so it can turn. Keep the other rear wheel on the ground.

Put the car in 5th.

Turn the wheel in the air. This will turn the motor. If you can't turn the motor by hand this way, then it is seized. If you can, then you have some other problem. let us know, and we will walk you through trouble shooting.

Zach
charliew
Push it out in the street, turn the key on and see if you can push it off by getting it going and jumping in and putting it in 3rd and popping the clutch. That was the most common way we started cars in the 60's with a dead battery and they were a lot heavier the the 914.
jimkelly
yeah - i back this suggestion.

note that you can have oil but not have oil pressure - though i am hoping you do not have a seized engine and that your problem is the starter.

jim

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 6 2010, 06:20 PM) *

Pull the spark plugs.

Raise one rear wheel so it can turn. Keep the other rear wheel on the ground.

Put the car in 5th.

Turn the wheel in the air. This will turn the motor. If you can't turn the motor by hand this way, then it is seized. If you can, then you have some other problem. let us know, and we will walk you through trouble shooting.

Zach
6freak
ground problem in the wires somewhere.?....hence the door buzzer and E flashers
BMXerror
QUOTE(nick73-914 @ Jun 6 2010, 05:01 PM) *

...the battery is two days old so it's not that ...

This makes me suspicious. Nothing to say that that battery is not defective. FIRST, make sure your engine isn't seized. Second, have your battery tested. Third, pull the starter and clean it/test it. Forth, start tracing wiring problems.
Mark D.
nick73-914
You guys are awesome! I tried Vacca Rabite's suggestion and found my engine wasn't seized (woo!) next I tried BMXerror's post and pulled the starter cleaned tested etc.. reinstalled and made sure I had proper voltage, dropped the car down and bam, fired up first try! You all have my undying gratitude for helping me overcome my first speedbump in classic car ownership smile.gif

this forum rules biggrin.gif
6freak
good to hear smile.gif
championgt1
So what caused it to just die? confused24.gif
nick73-914
Good question.. It's been idling really slow at when I come to a stop, like I have to keep tapping the accelerator sometimes to keep her going. I'm not sure :/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.