Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stumble at aroud 5K RPM
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
solex
Hi,
All I just completed with the help from some people on the forum a debug of my fuel and ignition system. Turned out I need a new fuel pump, I got Bosch pump from PP and have been driving it since.

I did a mini-tune up last night adjusted the dwell and timing. The car as a new air, fuel filter, plugs, Magnacore wires, cap and rotor but noticed that around 5K RPM the car stumbles.

Where should I look next.

Thanks,
Dan
bfrymire
When this happened to me, it was the MAP sensor (or whatever it was called, it's been a while since i messed with D_Jet.)

-- brett

QUOTE(solex @ Jun 8 2010, 05:30 PM) *

Hi,
All I just completed with the help from some people on the forum a debug of my fuel and ignition system. Turned out I need a new fuel pump, I got Bosch pump from PP and have been driving it since.

I did a mini-tune up last night adjusted the dwell and timing. The car as a new air, fuel filter, plugs, Magnacore wires, cap and rotor but noticed that around 5K RPM the car stumbles.

Where should I look next.

Thanks,
Dan

Tom
Points! Weak spring causing point "bounce".
Tom
underthetire
QUOTE(Tom @ Jun 13 2010, 01:01 PM) *

Points! Weak spring causing point "bounce".
Tom

agree.gif

Or stuck mechanical advance.

Switch to electronics and be done with the "mini" tuneups.
ConeDodger
You are just about at redline for the stock engine. Do you have the rev limiting rotor on there?
jimtab
might have "rev limiting" on the dizzy......pertronics?
solex
No rev limiter, I believe that the coil may be on its last legs. This is one of the last things in the ignition system that I have not replaced, it is not an original Bosch blue and the last time I checked it was not putting out a healthy spark.

I just ordered a Bosch blue from PP and will report back, I think this may also fix the erratic tach. problem I have
underthetire
Might wanna order the compu-fire or pertronix to. Mine has a built in rev limiter- its called hydraulic lifters. biggrin.gif
JamesM
lol mine too, refuses to rev past 5k. I had my motor built with them 10 years ago when i was only using it as a daily driver. Thought it was a good idea for the first 7 years, then i started autox'ing headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif Now i am doing everything I can to break something just so i have an excuse to swap back to solids. I am starting to be convinced that this engine is actually bulletproof though. 10 years of abuse and it still won't even go so far as to leak a drop of oil on the garage floor. I am cursed with a 914 that wont break!

QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 13 2010, 05:39 PM) *

Might wanna order the compu-fire or pertronix to. Mine has a built in rev limiter- its called hydraulic lifters. biggrin.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.