Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suby Bremar plate info for DIY w/ pics!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Zaney
Could someone who has already purchased the Bremar aluminum plate please measure the thickness of the plate and, post the thickness.

Thanks!
rickthejetman
QUOTE(Zaney @ Jun 13 2010, 09:12 PM) *

Could someone who has already purchased the Bremar aluminum plate please measure the thickness of the plate and, post the thickness.

Thanks!

i made my own out of 1/8" plate from the pics i saw of theres it looked to be around 1/4" but i figured they made it that thick because of the machined in logo.
Zaney
QUOTE(rickthejetman @ Jun 13 2010, 09:28 PM) *

Thanks!

i made my own out of 1/8" plate from the pics i saw of theres it looked to be around 1/4" but i figured they made it that thick because of the machined in logo.

Would you mind posting pics of your finished plate?

Thanks for the info!
BIGKAT_83
Here you go....
Click to view attachment

Bob
rickthejetman
QUOTE(Zaney @ Jun 13 2010, 10:01 PM) *

QUOTE(rickthejetman @ Jun 13 2010, 09:28 PM) *

Thanks!

Would you mind posting pics of your finished plate?

Thanks for the info!

sure i'll take a pic when i get home from work.
strawman

Thanks!

I just measured mine, and it is 0.32". But I don't think the thickness is critical, since it only appears to be keeping the gear oil in. Post pics when your plate is done!
charliew
I agree it's just a cover plate but I would make it at least 1/4 thick just so it will seal good at the flange. It is probably 8mm or .3144 from bremar.
Zaney
So, I took the pictures and advice from the members here and went to Everett Steel to see if they had a piece of aluminum in their remnant pile. Luckily, they had a 9 x 11 inch piece of 1/8 inch thick aluminum with someone's sign of "W.W.J.D". I think he would DIY! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Then, instead of using the poster board I cleaned up the nose cone and traced it directly to the cleaned up piece of aluminum.

Click to view attachment

I used these tools to make the plate from a $4.68 piece of aluminum piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment
Zaney
Next, i carefully drilled pilot holes in the plate and then chased them with the step drill bits to get the holes close.

I used a bolt to gauge how big the holes would be in the plate so I did not drill too big! For the shifter arm, drilled a hole in the plate then used a carbide drill bit to open up the hole to the traced dimensions. sawzall-smiley.gif

Then, after all the holes (including the drift pin holes) were finished I used various metal cutting blades in my jigsaw to cut out the plate.

Click to view attachment

After I was close to the traced out lines I test fit the plate on the end of the trans.

Click to view attachment

It took a bit of feathering with the step drill bits and emery cloth to get every hole aligned properly. But it worked out great!

Click to view attachment

Zaney
I am very pleased with the outcome of this DIY plate! smilie_pokal.gif

I had to go out and buy new bolts and hardware for the plate (20mm bolts instead of original 40mm in length) that came to $6.50.

So, instead of forking out $350 or so for the Bremar Kit I spent $11.00 and used 3 cutting wheels for the DIY Coupling.

So, here are the results!

Click to view attachment

And the final plate pic with silicone sealant on the trans to make it tight!!!

Click to view attachment

I recommend this method to anyone who wants to save $350 for the rest of their Suby project! Especially, coming from a novice like myself!

Cheers,
Nate
strawman
Atta boy!!!
jpnovak
Glad to see my method of cutting the diff works.

I made the same aluminum plate from a 3/16" scrap I found in the garbage behind an industrial strip center. If you don't mind a little smell and dirt you can find things as good as gold.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.