Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Group Buy is CLOSED! Thanks to all who ordered.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ConeDodger
Ever get caught in the rain? I seldom drive my 914 in the rain but I recently discovered that there was a wiper delay option. Not really sure of the years or models it was available on, but our electrical harness gurus Bowlsby and Keyser have volunteered on my request to offer a group buy on the harness. It is a fairly easy hookup and we will be doing the installation as a group at the Dog Days Drive.

The harness normally sells for $65 shipped and if you pick it up at Original Customs at the Dog Days Drive event you get it for $55. Those of you too far away or not going to the Dog Days Drive don't dispair though. The are offering you $60 shipped.

This harness requires a relay you will have to source separately and options are available in this regard. I will post a part number for one but others that can delay up to 90 seconds are available.
mharmon
I'm in for 1
Root_Werks
Oh man!

I just bought one like 2 weeks ago. sad.gif

You'll be happy you got one, the quality is top notch and you just don't want to mess with trying to make one. Not worth it. Nice to have every wire properly color coded, length all correct and everything looks factory.
914Sixer
Jeff's harness is nice. You will need the relay. They can be costly and or hard to find. VW# 111.955.531 or Porsche # 477.955.531A. Around $40 at Autohausaz.com
Eric_Shea
Make it simple for me RockDodger... smile.gif
underthetire
biggrin.gif

Rockdodger, sounds like the Looney tunes character with Daffy duck.
jim_hoyland
I have the harness and stock relay, but want the relay with longer intervals. The stock one is too quick. A part number would be very helpful... smile.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 14 2010, 10:51 AM) *

Jeff's harness is nice. You will need the relay. They can be costly and or hard to find. VW# 111.955.531 or Porsche # 477.955.531A. Around $40 at Autohausaz.com

These are the correct part numbers for the stock option delay. Someone on my Dog Days Drive thread mentioned another that has 90 second delay. I will ask him to chirp us the part number and source.
SirAndy
All you need is a potentiometer to get variable delays.

Could be as simple as a little knob on the dashboard ...
shades.gif Andy
markb
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 14 2010, 02:49 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

If you did it this way, couldn't you do it without the relay, and just delay the slow speed?
SirAndy
QUOTE(markb @ Jun 14 2010, 02:54 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

If you did it this way, couldn't you do it without the relay, and just delay the slow speed?

No. Without the relay, your slow speed would just be really S L O W. You need a relay to make the wipers stop for a certain amount of time.

With a relay, the wipers run the same speed every time they come on, you just change the interval of how often they come on.

Without a relay, the wipers are always on, you just change the speed of the wipers.

shades.gif Andy
markb
Ah. That makes sense.
Mike Bellis
Rob, put me down for one. I could just drive 1 mile to jeff's house but driving around Sonoma and ending in Napa is more fun!
McMark
The 'adjustable' relay info is below... The potentiometer certainly works, but this solution requires no extra wires, holes, or other modifications. And the relay costs about the same as the 'plain' relay. It took me a little bit to understand exactly how this setup works, but once I wrapped my head around it, it makes a lot of sense and should work really well.

Variable Intermittent Wiper
The following explains how to install a 'programmable' intermittent relay which will give a intermittent time interval from 2 to 45 seconds. The time interval is programmed using the wiper stalk switch.

The relay is Bosch P/N 0 986 335 058. It should cost between $30 and $40 from any one of the following:

* Automotive Performance Systems (800-423-3623)
* Wolf Sport (800-342-8669)
* VW or Audi dealers -- VAG P/N 1HM 955 531 A
The "A" is the important part, but this part has been superceded, so when you ask for it, they may try to give you a part that ends with "B", "C", etc. The "B" part does work, the "C" does NOT!

Operation:

1. Turn the wiper switch to the intermittent position then turn it to off. The wiper will wipe once.
2. When you need the wiper to wipe again, you place the wiper switch to intermittent and leave it there. It will remember the time interval and repeat the wipe at this interval.
3. To change the interval, just turn to off (wiper will wipe) and then turn back to intermittent position to set the new time interval.
4. The relay is reset to a 6 second default interval when ignition is turned off.
ConeDodger
Ok, if you want in on this, you need to follow these directions.

Send a paypal for $55.00 or $60.00 depending on if you are going to pick up your harness at the Dog Days Drive Event or want it mailed to your residence. The Paypal address to send it to is jeff.bowlsby@sbcglobal.net If you have a problem with Paypal ie: you don't do Paypal - pm Jeff Bowlsby to get an address to send a check or MO to...

In the comment section of the paypal you need to type "Group buy, wiper delay - send to Original Customs" or "Group buy, wiper delay - send to my address" depending on your preference.

THIS GROUP BUY ENDS AT MIDNIGHT CALIFORNIA TIME ON JULY 25th. After this date you are still welcome to buy wiper delay harnesses from Jeff Bowlsby but they cannot be included in the Group Buy and will be at the regular price.

The purchase of the relay or potentiometer is your responsibility.

Thanks for your participation!!!
jim_hoyland
Found this in a 2003 thread...Bus Depot shows the variable intermittant relay with a P/N 3B0955531, searching on it produces at least one seller
ConeDodger
Let's do the group buy bump!!! Who's in? Send your money to Bowlsby and get harnessed!!! cheer.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 14 2010, 02:58 PM) *

QUOTE(markb @ Jun 14 2010, 02:54 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

No. Without the relay, your slow speed would just be really S L O W. You need a relay to make the wipers stop for a certain amount of time.

With a relay, the wipers run the same speed every time they come on, you just change the interval of how often they come on.

Without a relay, the wipers are always on, you just change the speed of the wipers.

shades.gif Andy

Also, there is a factory part for this variable speed pot. 911's in the 70's used it. It was located up on the gauge cluster. Little black knob.

So one could easily install this and it would all be pretty much factory stuff.
jim_hoyland
Question: Will the harness have a 5 pin base for the relay or a 6 pin base ? I believe only 6 pin bases allow for the true variable relay funcion to work.

My base is a 5 pin and the intermittant function is fixed to say 2 seconds. It appears full variable intermittant setting require the 6 pin base--correct me if I'm wrong, but I have both relays as well. smile.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 15 2010, 08:56 AM) *

Question: Will the harness have a 5 pin base for the relay or a 6 pin base ? I believe only 6 pin bases allow for the true variable relay funcion to work.

My base is a 5 pin and the intermittant function is fixed to say 2 seconds. It appears full variable intermittant setting require the 6 pin base--correct me if I'm wrong, but I have both relays as well. smile.gif

Good question, I also have 5 and a 6 pin relay. idea.gif
914Sixer
Ok, here is pictures of everything. Jeff's harness has 4 wires. The S position on the relay is NOT wired. Black relay is 944 and the silver is VW part.
zx-niner
PayPal sent. Won't be attending Dog Days Drive sad.gif so ship when the time comes.
ConeDodger
Steve and everyone else... I will not be shipping these for you so please make sure that you followed the instructions in the post where I gave the paypal address. If you want it shipped to Original Customs you need to say that and pay $55.00 If you want it shipped to your home you need to say that and pay $60.00.

It isn't enough to say you are in on this thread. You must paypal Jeff with your instructions. Thanks!
JeffBowlsby
This is a great thread! I wasn't aware of the other relay options until now and I appreciate Rob for posting this thread and leading the charge.

For any one that orders and prepays to my paypal account by July 25, I'll have these ready and shipped to McMarks shop for the August 4 Dog Days event so you guys can install them there. No payment, no harness. You'll pick them up at McMarks and you will need to obtain the relay separately. $55. shipped to McMarks (Original Customs), or $60. if you want it shipped to another USA address.

PS, I am pretty sure that the one remaining unused pin on the relay is where a ground wire from the cars main chassis harness is installed. So its a 5-pin relay and all 5 pins are used. Andy or McMark hopefully can verify.
Root_Werks
The harnes only has 4 wires because you take the 5th (brown) from the 914 wiper switch plugs into the relay socket. wink.gif
ConeDodger
Remember to get your Group Buy price by sending your paypal to Jeff with the proper amount and instructions on where you want your harness sent! July 25 is the cut-off!
ConeDodger
Got mine yesterday! It would be installed by now if it wasn't for my car being at Scott Yeamans Autobody. Get your ordered up! Ten dollars off is pretty cool...
ConeDodger
Don't miss this opportunity to get in on the 914 wiper delay harness group buy going on now. See the options in the first post. Buy it before the deadline and have it delivered to Original Customs the site of the 914World dog.gif Days Drive in August. Do the drive, have some great BBQ and then get some peer group help installing it. Or, have it delivered to your home for just $10 more... As they say, get 'em while they're hot!!! Run with the dog.gif and save some cash!
ConeDodger
Are you guys taking advantage of this group buy? Get in on it!
ConeDodger
You never know when you might need those wipers just a little... Like today when I woke up and found the ground wet in Sacramento in the summer. Hey wait! It doesn't rain in Sacramento in the summer. EVER! It was just a little sprinkle. You know, the kind of rain that could use WIPER DELAY!!! Hint Hint. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Don't miss out! The group buy chances get slimmer each day. Plus - we'll teach you how to install it biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
Think about it... A modern feature in your brutally simple car. Some simple comfort. Get in on the wiper delay group buy today! Time will run out soon.
ConeDodger
Have you gotten in on the group buy yet? Better hurry... Time will run out!!
ConeDodger
Are you Midwest guys getting in on this? It rains a lot there right? Be sure to get in on the Wiper Delay Group Buy!!! Time is running out!!!! hissyfit.gif
ConeDodger
Only about 20 days left on this group buy opportunity. Get your wipers to delay like modern wipers. Install a factory option! Don't miss out...
ConeDodger
Group buy opportunity ends July 25th! Get yours at a reduced price and save on the shipping if you happen to be going on the Dog Days Drive! Much more versatile wipers! Delay them in misty rain and enjoy creature comfort only your SUV has now!!!
ConeDodger
Just three weeks or so left in the Group Wiper Delay Buy! Get them ordered before July 25th or lose out...
charliew
valve stem cap is missing on the purty wheel. Dang, no attention to detail at all.
zymurgist
I'm in!

I must be building a 914 the hard way...one piece at a time.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(charliew @ Jul 7 2010, 02:06 PM) *

valve stem cap is missing on the purty wheel. Dang, no attention to detail at all.

That "purty" wheel is a track wheel. Valve stems are always off... Identical street wheels do have valve stems though.
ConeDodger
Only about two weeks to get in on the Wiper Delay Group Buy. Have you got your Paypal in to Jeff? Don't miss out! See the detail from Jeff on page two of this thread...
ConeDodger
Less than two weeks left in the Wiper Delay Group Buy! Follow the instructions in Jeff Bowlsby's post on page two. Don't miss out... piratenanner.gif
ConeDodger
Just 10 days left to get in on the Wiper Delay Group Buy. Get your Paypal in to Jeff Bowlsby and either have it shipped to Original Customs for pickup or sent to your address. Don't miss out. This is a great modification!
ConeDodger
shades.gif Group buy ends July 25th at midnight. Don't miss out on this. Wiper Delay will change your life...
ConeDodger
Just a couple of days left to get in on the Wiper Delay Group Buy! Don't miss out!
michael_oberg
$60 sent! Just what I needed as part of turning my 914 in a DD!
ConeDodger
Just a couple days left to get in on the Wiper Delay Group Buy. When the sun goes to Asia on Sunday, you will have missed out. Get your Paypal payment to Jeff following the instructions on page two of this thread.
ConeDodger
Today is the DAY!!! If you don't get in on this today you can still buy the wiper delay harness, you just have to pay more. So, get it today! Follow the directions in Jeff's post on page 2 and save a buck or two... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
The Group Buy is Closed. Thank you all who participated. If you missed out though don't be shy about contacting Jeff as these are always available, just not at that special group buy price...
Eric_Shea
icon_bump.gif

(just because it pains me not to have this bumped on a regular basis)

biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.