Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with Front Struts please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gigamight
Actual questions are in bold for those that want to skim the unimportant crap.

So I got a package deal from a guy a while back, and he said he had "almost new bilsteins, front and back." Well, installing the rears is no big deal, but I have minimal tools at my disposal, and no air tools at all, so the fronts may be different.

I have a complete rack from that 6k mile car I cut up, that seems to have great ball joints and tie rods... the works, and so I am planning on using that on my project car.

Here are the questions: First of all, are the shocks in the front just inserts inside that canister? Or is it the whole deal?

The front Bilseins are attached to the front spindle/assembly still, and the guy cut the ball joint to get them off, so I don't think I can use that, but I want to use the shocks if I can. Or, can I get that ball joint out without herculean effort?

Can I easily swap out the cartridges in the shocks? The Bilsteins were on a 75, the front suspension I am using is a 72, does that matter?

Do I even come off at all like I know what I am talking about?

I will take pics of something if that helps. just tell me what you want to see.
Tom_T
There are 2 types of Bilstein inserts - one was the factory option green struts & Bilstein inserts, which are apparently a PITA to change inserts compared to the Boge struts because the require almost a complete R&R of the strut assy. just to change the inserts IIRC. Those inserts will only fit into those struts/towers, with the fat part down IIRC, which is probably why the full/part disassembly is required to change them.

Whereas, Bilstein still makes inserts to fit into the Boge (black struts/housings), which are an easier job to just pop in/out at the top. But those only fit into the Boge Struts.

So it depends on which you have. If the struts are cut up by a DAPO, then just go with the Boges & get new or lightly used Bilstein or Koni inserts as to you preference, but most advise to match same brand & type (HD, Sport, etc.) F&R at all 4 corners.

No comment on the last - biggrin.gif
... we're all learning new stuff & someone just told me about the difference & PITA in the green Bilstein struts a few weeks ago myself!

I have early 80's vintage Koni Reds/HDs in mine F&R & always liked them! driving.gif
Gigamight
Thank you for the reply.

Ok, so let me ask this, how do I remove the top nut to get to the insert once the struts are off the car? Also, how do I know what I have (early or late, Boge or Bilstein)? Aaaaand, what came stock on the car if it wasn't Bilsteins? Boge? Or did I miss something there?

Thanks again
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.