Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: newbie seeks help with this...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
william1764
A - Found the below car for sale on Samba. Would welcome opinions and what I should be asking of seller. I recieved additional photos of undercarriage and trunks which look outstanding. There is a link below if you care to view a few photos he has listed on Samba. Thanks for help. Bill

"Very nice Solid - Restored 914 w/54000 actual miles. No expense or effort spared on this car. Most everything has been replaced or refurbished/updated. Everything works well and the car only has 2000miles on it since restoration. Powerplant is a Rebuilt 2.0L (with the good stuff) with dual 36 dells, CB performance cam, 050Distrib with electronic ignition. Stainless exhaust system with header/muffler out to a 3inch tip. Starts perfectly - runs strong - uses no oil - and averages 26mpg. 5 speed shifts great and no leaks. 5 lug conversion with all new bearings and brake systems and larger master cylinder. E-Brake works well too. Lowered Front and Stock rear stance on 6inch Fuchs all around. Updates also include a fiberglass (stock style) front painted bumper and a 916 rear bumper. Gives a clean look that creates a lot of conversation. Interior redone by professional and gave a nice red edge making the seats pop. All of the rust was repaired at restoration. New Floor pans (from AutoAtlanta) were installed along with a battery tray and engine shelf. The car was originally ORDERED Silver. The car was completely stripped down to nothing and resprayed inside and out.
I am the second owner of the car. The car was purchased new in Indy area and has lived here since. I rescued the car 2 years ago from under a tarp outside and restored it to what you see today. Had it not sat outside in the ground for so many years - i am convinced it would have not needed pans..."

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=979334
bandjoey
If what he says is on the up and up it's a great car. It even looks like $10k. Hopefully there's someone close by to do an inspection for you. Sight unseen purchases sometimes work out but ...
william1764
Below is the sellers reply to my inquiry regarding heat not being connected and engine work performed. Definatley seems the seller know's his stuff.

Anyone near Greenfield Indiana or can recommend someone for PPI?

"The fan/blower that transfers the heat was locked up and i simply went ahead and removed it along with the plumbing that pushes everything forward. I have caps over the plumbing that goes into the clamshells. It can easily be installed once a new blower motor is installed as well as reinstalling the plumbing off of the exhaust (which i have)

We do not have a 'State Inspection' The vehicle is currently tagged and i drive it. The motor is a fresh rebuild including standard standard main and rod journals on the crankshaft. Everything was polished and checked/rebushed and honed connecting rods. New Mahle pistons and cylinders, new CB performance cam and cam gear.. Also new lifters to match.
2202 Cam - 278 degree Duration, .410" lift. Street Power Cam. The best cam for added power with dual Dellortos or Weber setups. Fast bottom end and mid-range action.
8.5:1 compression with rebuilt oval port heads. 41mm intake and 36 exhaust valves with stock rockers and high rev single springs. It has the excellent 050 distributor with electronic ignition All new bearings from Kolblesmidt (Orignial Equipment) All new seals and gaskets.
The flywheel was in excellent condition and was simply resurfaced and reassembled with a new old stock clutch disc and pressure plate. The transmission works great and the only thing done to it was a new seal installed where the shift rod comes through the case (as it was leaking) The shift rod has all new bushings installed and works great. The transmission was serviced and refilled with new grease... Axles were taken apart - CV's checked and then repacked with Synthetic grease. All new front and rear bearings and grease seals came with the 5 lug conversion. The electrical works great including reverse lights and first generation electric headlights. All dash lamps work well including the emergency brake flasher. The fuel tank RESERVE light even works.
The horns are new HELLA replacements and work well too."
poorsche914
Have you asked if the 5 lug conversion is adaptors, redrilled rotors or 911 suspension?
william1764
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jun 15 2010, 07:01 AM) *

Have you asked if the 5 lug conversion is adaptors, redrilled rotors or 911 suspension?

I have not but will ask...good question. thanks
william1764
Supossed to get add pics tonight. I will post and look forward to feedback. Thanks all. Bill
william1764
That would be "supposed" lol-2.gif
mudfoot76
I'm not terribly far from there, and I know a couple of local mechanics who might be available for a PPI. I'll send you a PM with their contact information.
william1764
QUOTE(mudfoot76 @ Jun 15 2010, 11:27 AM) *

I'm not terribly far from there, and I know a couple of local mechanics who might be available for a PPI. I'll send you a PM with their contact information.

That would be great. How far is he from major airport?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.