Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Umbrella Covers For 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
realred914
id be concerned that a water proof cover would trap moisture and that would damage the paint. . I made the mistake of a water proof cover once and sure enough, ruined paint. I'd consider one in a breathable material. one good material from a breathability standpoint is Tyvek. I have car covers of this material and it is good for long term outside storage.

for short term use it is ok to be water proof, but long term it can cuase probelms on the paint and other surfaces
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(realred914 @ Oct 20 2010, 07:34 AM) *

id be concerned that a water proof cover would trap moisture and that would damage the paint. . I made the mistake of a water proof cover once and sure enough, ruined paint. I'd consider one in a breathable material. one good material from a breathability standpoint is Tyvek. I have car covers of this material and it is good for long term outside storage.

for short term use it is ok to be water proof, but long term it can cuase probelms on the paint and other surfaces

My cover doesn't really cover the paint. It's waterproof because that's what you need, where it needs to be waterproof. This cover won't give your 914 the "wet T shirt" treatment.

Did you look at the pics in this thread? confused24.gif
realred914
QUOTE(9146986 @ Oct 20 2010, 10:47 AM) *

My cover doesn't really cover the paint. It's waterproof because that's what you need, where it needs to be waterproof. This cover won't give your 914 the "wet T shirt" treatment.

yes I looked at the photos, nice product, but it does cover paint, not all paint but some (window frame paint and sail panel (may or may not be painted)) it is likely just fine for short term wet use, but my experince with water proof plastic on teh car is that it can allow moisture to build up and cause paint failure (in my case it was a plastic tarp over the top of the car to prevent targa top leaks, it was all held down my a breathable car cover, had lots of moisture probelms under the plastic tarp.

that is my experince with a non-breathable cover. That is why I suggested tyvek or some breathable material.

the top you have is a very nice idea, just got to be careful with how it is used. if used as a sun shield in the non rainy season i see no probelms, i see a poster advocating its water proofness to help keep water out, it can be a probelm if water does get under it (say it is a installed on a wet car, or wind or humidty allow water under it. but will hurt paint only if left on the car for an extened period of time.

some folks may attempt to use this product as a winter storage water proof top seal, and that could cause probelms. if used as a nice sun shield in teh summer , or removed freqeuntly during the rains then there should be no problem, but for long term outdoor winter storage it may cause problems. one shoudl periodically check under it for moisture build up, if it builds up, then it needs to be periodically dried out.

nice product though when used as a sun shield. or intermitant use in the rain. for long term wet storage i would be hesitant to use it. Dont get me wrong, i think it is great product for reducing sun damage and keeping the cockpit cooler.
Steve
I bought mine mainly to protect the interior from the sun. The cost of a new dash easily pays for this cover. It will also come in handy to keep the rain out from the leaky top. Nice product love it!!!!
AndyB
QUOTE(realred914 @ Oct 20 2010, 11:34 AM) *

QUOTE(9146986 @ Oct 20 2010, 10:47 AM) *

yes I looked at the photos, nice product, but it does cover paint, not all paint but some (window frame paint and sail panel (may or may not be painted)) it is likely just fine for short term wet use, but my experince with water proof plastic on teh car is that it can allow moisture to build up and cause paint failure (in my case it was a plastic tarp over the top of the car to prevent targa top leaks, it was all held down my a breathable car cover, had lots of moisture probelms under the plastic tarp.

that is my experince with a non-breathable cover. That is why I suggested tyvek or some breathable material.

the top you have is a very nice idea, just got to be careful with how it is used. if used as a sun shield in the non rainy season i see no probelms, i see a poster advocating its water proofness to help keep water out, it can be a probelm if water does get under it (say it is a installed on a wet car, or wind or humidty allow water under it. but will hurt paint only if left on the car for an extened period of time.

some folks may attempt to use this product as a winter storage water proof top seal, and that could cause probelms. if used as a nice sun shield in teh summer , or removed freqeuntly during the rains then there should be no problem, but for long term outdoor winter storage it may cause problems. one shoudl periodically check under it for moisture build up, if it builds up, then it needs to be periodically dried out.

nice product though when used as a sun shield. or intermitant use in the rain. for long term wet storage i would be hesitant to use it. Dont get me wrong, i think it is great product for reducing sun damage and keeping the cockpit cooler.

dry.gif Thats all I will say
Dr Evil
Perry, even though you have sold many of these, and they have been field tested and approved by all of those who have them, and no one has ever complained about them or made reports for up-grades from the field, I am pretty sure that my opinion and hypothesis about how it should be constructed is more accurate than your actual experience or the experience of those who have purchased these. Please change the design as previously prescribed to match my theoretical goals that you surely can not be meeting with your current configuration jerkit.gif
Dr Evil
Oh ya, I had always wanted one and won one at the WCR 2010! It was the only prize I actually needed/wanted (the rest I already had).
racerbvd
So you also make them for 911???
TurboWalt
Paypal sent!
Rav914
Another satisfied customer! Great piece of gear in both sun and rain. I don't go anywhere with out it in the trunk. Easiest $125 I've spent.
hcdmueller
Paypal Sent.
anderssj
Got mine in the mail today . . . WOW! piratenanner.gif Really nice work Perry! Thanks again for your time and effort pray.gif

Steve A-
RickS
Received mine yesterday - what a fantastic product - exactly what I wanted - and quality is great. Perry is a god.
maf914
Perry,

Paypal sent for a 914 Umbrella Cover. I provided a post box address since you indicated USPS shipping. If you need to change shipping modes, PM me and I will provide a street address. Thanks.
IronHillRestorations
I have been able to find some more material, but I don't know how long it will be available. It's the same type as the gray, the gray is NLA.

I have covers in stock at this point, but if you want one you don't want to wait too long. The last batch sold out in two weeks!
mightyohm
Just got mine today! biggrin.gif

Question: I've seen pictures of the bungees hooked onto lots of places, including the fender lip, wheels, and I think I've even seen them clipped to the covers over the longs.

Where's the recommended place to hook them?
Kirmizi
I use the fender lips and my cover hasn't blown off yet.
And believe me, it's undergone some extensive wind-testing here. biggrin.gif
Mike
mightyohm
I'm a little worried about chipping the paint on the fender lips (more than it already is biggrin.gif ). Any problems with paint chips?
rmital
QUOTE(mightyohm @ Jan 20 2011, 02:28 PM) *

I'm a little worried about chipping the paint on the fender lips (more than it already is biggrin.gif ). Any problems with paint chips?

certainly something to be concerned about...but after about 4 or 5 years of use, no chipping or any sign of damage in that area.,
jsayre914
i always clip mine to the wheels, i was also worried about paint. no problems yet
BuddyV
PM sent.... hope this is still available.

Cheers!

type.gif
Kirmizi
I'm a little worried about chipping the paint on the fender lips (more than it already is ). Any problems with paint chips?

No, no paint chips; just some slight buffing where the bungies extend along the fenders. (This is some serious wind here blink.gif )
You could probably put some rubber or felt on the inside of the hooks to prevent any paint damage.
Mike
euro911
Thanks Perry beerchug.gif
bandjoey
Are you going to make a run of these again? What about one for Texas 100 degrees out of a sun reflective material? Thanks for letting us know.
Bills914-4
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jun 14 2013, 02:42 PM) *

Are you going to make a run of these again? What about one for Texas 100 degrees out of a sun reflective material? Thanks for letting us know.

Contact him with a pm , he has a few ,I just purchased one yesterday smile.gif , Bill D.
Maltese Falcon
Thank you Perry, has it been 3 years already?
I use it whenever parked, as I have kept it topless since buying the
Umbrella.
I also like the coverage over the engine kid...it keeps small critters out of the
Flat fan.
Marty
IronHillRestorations
The material came in yesterday. I will have some to ship the week after Thanksgiving.
Krieger
Me, me, me!
JRust
I want one too. PM sent
jcd914
Me too!!
sb914
I want one to.pm sent
ndfrigi
I'm in for one also please! Noel
TheCabinetmaker
I've wanted one of these since I first saw it at MUSR 3

Pm sent
StratPlayer
I'm in for one also.....
IronHillRestorations
OK, guys I'll let you know when I've got them in hand.
stevegm
I want one, please.
ben*james
Please save one for me. Pm sent!
karmann
Put me down for one as well
OU8AVW
I'll take one for sure. Let me know how to pay biggrin.gif
Valy
One here please.
IronHillRestorations
Only 3 left from this batch.
luskesq
Pm sent for one.

Thanks,

Keith
SA-914
pm
hcdmueller
One of the best things I have bought for my car. I use it all of the time. It is extremely nice and holds up very well to extreme heat and torrential rain.
KENNY
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Dec 17 2014, 12:17 PM) *

One of the best things I have bought for my car. I use it all of the time. It is extremely nice and holds up very well to extreme heat and torrential rain.

agree.gif
JRust
I just got mine in the mail piratenanner.gif . Only wish I had my car back to try it out dry.gif
sb914
I got mine last week,put it on,then i put my car cover on , came outside a few hours later and car cover was on the ground (fuching wind) but my umbrella was still proudy on fits sweet smilie_pokal.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Got mine last week. Perfect fit. Love it.

Thanks, Perry
IronHillRestorations
OK guys, another batch in the works. I should be shipping the week of the 26th.
IronHillRestorations
Got a batch in today. Sorry for the cross posting, but I don't want to miss anyone. PM me if you want one
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.