Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: M471 Clarification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
McMark
I read this thread about M471 cars and had a question.

As I read it, the M471 designation really applies to 'factory' flares. GT-cars had the oil cooler, but as I understand it, the M471 did not specifically include the cooler. Am I right?

For those of you familiar with these cars, or GT cars, were the flares completely seam welded? Or were they flange welded?
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 22 2010, 11:08 PM) *

As I read it, the M471 designation really applies to 'factory' flares. GT-cars had the oil cooler, but as I understand it, the M471 did not specifically include the cooler. Am I right?

For those of you familiar with these cars, or GT cars, were the flares completely seam welded? Or were they flange welded?

Factory steel flares, as far as i can tell butt-welded and wider wheels and tires (7" x 8" WRONG! should be 6" with 1" spacers).

I know of at least one m471 who also came with a leather interior instead of vinyl from the factory, but i don't think the two are related ...

Basically, the m471 option was simply the Porsche option for a GT look-alike.
popcorn[1].gif Andy
Tom_T
M471 also included alloy wheels & 185/70VR15 tires IIRC - often as the Michelin XWX, which are still available in that size new from Lucas Tires at $400+ each! blink.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
one neat touch was the factory flared front steel valance.

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 23 2010, 01:18 AM) *

M471 also included alloy wheels & 185/70VR15 tires IIRC - often as the Michelin XWX, which are still available in that size new from Lucas Tires at $400+ each! blink.gif

ConeDodger
George, was the "stiffening kit" part of the package the dealerships sold?
Krieger
Then it also had longer wheel studs.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 23 2010, 07:09 AM) *

George, was the "stiffening kit" part of the package the dealerships sold?

no actually the car was just a totally stock 914-6 with the addition of butt welded factory flares, 21 mm wheel spacers, longer wheel studs, 6x15 fuchs alloys including the spare 185 70 15 tires, front steel flared valance, NO rear valance, fiberglass flared rocker panels, and for the USA cars lower mounted front side marker assemblies.
JeffBowlsby
This from my files:

SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 23 2010, 12:24 PM) *

This from my files:

4600 DM? Wow, that stuff was expensive!

And it doesn't list any rockers or valences. Only the flares and the 6" wheels with tires and longer wheel studs ...
idea.gif Andy
Eric_Shea
Flares and 6" wheels with spacers.
davep
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 23 2010, 05:15 AM) *

George, was it just the front valence, or did it include the rear valence and the rocker panels? All four pieces benefit from flaring to match the fenders.
carr914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 23 2010, 02:50 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 22 2010, 11:08 PM) *

Factory steel flares, as far as i can tell butt-welded and wider wheels and tires (7" x 8" with 1" spacers).

I know of at least one m471 who also came with a leather interior instead of vinyl from the factory, but i don't think the two are related ...

Basically, the m471 option was simply the Porsche option for a GT look-alike.
popcorn[1].gif Andy

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 23 2010, 03:24 PM) *

This from my files:

6x15 were the wheels on a M471
SirAndy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 23 2010, 05:03 PM) *

Then why mislead people?

Because i'm stupid and didn't recall the tire size correctly. Thanks for pointing out the very obvious. KMA.gif

You need to get laid more ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
carr914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 23 2010, 08:10 PM) *

Then why mislead people?

Because i'm stupid and didn't recall the tire size correctly. Thanks for pointing out the very obvious. KMA.gif

rolleyes.gif Andy

And I get Laid plenty, Thank You
T.C.
SirAndy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 23 2010, 06:56 PM) *
you are no where near an expert on 914s or a Human being.

We can't all be like you. I'm a mere mortal who makes mistakes.

How does it feel to be so superior? I'd like to know ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
carr914
Feels Good, especially when I don't have to attack anyone personally

T.C.
SirAndy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 23 2010, 07:15 PM) *

especially when I don't have to attack anyone personally

Then maybe you shouldn't ...

shades.gif Andy
carr914

Then why mislead people?

rolleyes.gif Andy

Then maybe you shouldn't start the insults

T.C
carr914

Then why mislead people?

rolleyes.gif Andy

And all you had to was read the Post above yours to find the correct wheel size or the original post that McMark referenced before you voiced opinions as facts.

T.C.

JRust
Are we 12 today confused24.gif Did someone pee in someone's cherios sad.gif Some days you just can't win. At least it is summer & we can go ride our BMX bikes instead of go to school aktion035.gif
carr914
Sorry for my Rant.

T.C.
McMark
Feel free to use the PM system so we don't all have to watch... rolleyes.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 23 2010, 06:43 PM) *

Sorry for my Rant, but I'm not going to take Shit from Andy, Z, or anybody else ( sorry Z, as I know we have buried the hatchet)

T.C.

I am completely neutral here, but I didn't see anything negative in this thread until your post, TC. Could you have misread one of Andy's posts? I don't see where he was trying to give you any shit. This was a good thread until it went ugly.
SirAndy
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 23 2010, 07:39 PM) *

Are we 12 today confused24.gif Did someone pee in someone's cherios sad.gif

Thank you! biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 23 2010, 07:43 PM) *

Sorry for my Rant, but I'm not going to take Shit from Andy, Z, or anybody else

If you don't want shit, simply don't ask for it ...

I learned that before i was 12. You still have a few years to go, so you're excused.
stirthepot.gif Andy
McMark
So M471 was flares, wheels, studs, and post-2-1117899824.gif . Got it.
jimtab
Sometimes I just like to have a cold drink and watch it all "happen"...... tongue.gif Nice going Mark....stirring up the pot...... biggrin.gif
nsr-jamie
I think it was the "you need to get laid more" comment that might of pissed him off...somebody made a mistake and somebody pointed that out...it should have ended like that....shake hands and be friends...we are all 12 sometimes. Peace biggrin.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
carr914
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jun 24 2010, 08:44 AM) *

I think it was the "you need to get laid more" comment that might of pissed him off......shake hands and be friends...we are all 12 sometimes. Peace biggrin.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

That and a few too many brews on my part. I apologize for getting out of line and sending the thread in a bad direction.

Let's get back to business - M471 anyone?

T.C.

Click to view attachment
RoadGlue
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 23 2010, 10:27 PM) *

So M471 was flares, wheels, studs, and post-2-1117899824.gif . Got it.

The car we saw did not have butt-welded flares either. Spoke to Dug the other night and he was clear that it's almost impossible to see the weld from the inner fender unless the car has been stripped.
McMark
Buuuuuuuuut..... wasn't M471 available as a parts order? So technically you could have an M471 car, but not a factory M471 car. Right?

Also, was M471 dealer installed or factory installed?
MartyYeoman
popcorn[1].gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I invite all to come see us and inspect my FACTORY m-471 gt car and I also will on Steve's behalf invite all to come and inspect his as well! The m 471 was a factory produced GT without all of the racing poop. (the factory considered the m-471 cars factory GTs.) The cars were factory produced with factory installed steel butt welded flares done when the car was just an unpainted body shell. After the cars got their flares they were built as a stock 914-6 until final assembly when factory gt fiberglass rocker panels were installed (stamped with a factory part number) a steel front stock valance flared on the ends by the factory to match the flares, longer wheel studs installed to accomodate 21mm factory aluminum wheel spacers, to which 6x15 annodized fuchs wheels were installed with 185/70 15 tires. That is it. The car NEVER had a rear valance. Very, very few of these were built by the factory and only to homologate them for racing rules at that time (had to build a street example in order to race in the same configuration)

QUOTE(davep @ Jun 23 2010, 04:33 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 23 2010, 05:15 AM) *

George, was it just the front valence, or did it include the rear valence and the rocker panels? All four pieces benefit from flaring to match the fenders.

Eric_Shea
So M471 was flares, wheels, studs, and stromberg.gif . Got it.

Don't forget the spacers. biggrin.gif

The factory flares I purchased for my car (eBay about 7 years ago) were butt welded previously way beyond my comprehension of "awesome" welding. Once I got them blasted to bare metal I was STUNNED at the finish work on the weld. Leaded in various areas as well... I always wondered if they came off a factory car.
smg914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 24 2010, 09:54 AM) *

Buuuuuuuuut..... wasn't M471 available as a parts order? So technically you could have an M471 car, but not a factory M471 car. Right?

Back in the day, anyone could walk up to the parts counter at the local Porsche dealer and order the parts needed to convert any 914 or 914-6 into a GT clone or an M471 clone. Using these kits, anyone (dealers, TC, sportos, motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads) could build a clone.

However there were approximately a total of 50 914-6 GT racecars and 914-6 M471's that were produced by the Porsche factory. 23 of the 50 were M471's.
Root_Werks
This is a good thread about the M471. I always kinda wondered exactly what went into that option for all that mulah!
carr914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 24 2010, 01:54 PM) *

M471 was Factory Installed ( Georges, Steves & about 20 others) Dealer Installed ( as 400 Kits had to be made to Homlogate the GT) and individual Installed ( Mine included as the Dealers did not sell many of the Kits)

I can see why the Dealers didn't sell many as Installation & New Paint would have added greatly to the price of a -6. It would have been better to buy a 911S at that price point - more power and not a NARP

T.C.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Back in the day, anyone could walk up to the parts counter at the local Porsche dealer and order the parts needed to convert any 914 or 914-6 into a GT clone or an M471 clone. Using these kits, anyone (dealers, TC, sportos, motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads) could build a clone.

In fact the so called Last six, the certificate of authenticity stating that the car was "for factory use only" had an m-471 factory package installed on it at the factory before it was finally sold in 1979. However it was not originally built as an m 471

QUOTE(smg914 @ Jun 24 2010, 01:00 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 24 2010, 09:54 AM) *

However there were approximately a total of 50 914-6 GT racecars and 914-6 M471's that were produced by the Porsche factory. 23 of the 50 were M471's.

nsr-jamie
So how many real M471's are out there? How much do they go for or are worth? George you still have that blue one that was on the cover of Excellence magazing years ago? I loved that car
smg914
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jun 25 2010, 02:16 AM) *

So how many real M471's are out there? How much do they go for or are worth? George you still have that blue one that was on the cover of Excellence magazing years ago? I loved that car

My private M471 registry currently shows 13 of the 23 factory produced M471 cars are still known to exist. Only 7 of the 13 are in the US.

As far as their worth? That's hard to say because none of them are for sale.
smg914
Don't forget to go out an purchase the newest issue (August 2010) of excellence magazine that's on the bookstore shelves right now. The article on the 914-6 M471 does a pretty good job of describing their history.
Gustl
QUOTE(smg914 @ Jun 25 2010, 02:53 PM) *

As far as their worth? That's hard to say because none of them are for sale.

within the last couple of years there were at least (4) factory M471 cars for sale in Europe
price range was between € 42,500 - € 95,000
at the current conversion ratio this would be between US$ 52,105 - US$ 116,470

driving.gif Gustl
Gustl
QUOTE(smg914 @ Jun 25 2010, 03:00 PM) *

Don't forget to go out an purchase the newest issue (August 2010) of excellence magazine that's on the bookstore shelves right now. The article on the 914-6 M471 does a pretty good job of describing their history.

can't wait to get it boldblue.gif mueba.gif monkeydance.gif

pete-stevers
I love threads like this....Drama, brew, insults and bit of great info...
Keeps ME coming back! happy11.gif
Rav914
Great thread. I can see the draw of converting a /6 into a M471 clone. Especially if you're restoring a project.
charliew
I like a flared 914 it goes with my 63 J200 overhead cam 258 ci Tornado 6 independent front axle 4wd jeep truck.
bigkensteele

Steve - major props for the excellent, yet understated Ferris Beuller quote! As soon as I read it, I realized that I recognized it from a movie, but it took me a few minutes to find it in the mental database.
smg914
Sorry about bringing this thread back up to the top but I had to share this with everyone.

I woke up this morning at my usual time (9:00). My wife had already left for her daily workout at the club. I noticed a path of rose pedals beginning at the base of the bed heading out the bedroom door, down the hallway, thru the kitchen and around the corner to the back guest bedroom. Sitting on the bed were two large sealed boxes with a big sign on top from my wife wishing me a happy birthday.

This was a total surprise that I knew nothing about. When I opened the boxes I couldn't believe my eyes. They are each 22 inches wide by 28 inches high. Absolutely beautiful.
iamchappy
I hope you followed those rose pedals back to your wife...... biggrin.gif

birthday3.gif
URY914
Are you sure she did it? Maybe it was T.C.?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.