Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stuck in first gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r3dplanet
Okay.

I have a 1971 1.7L 914 that over the past several months I've upgraded to a side-shifter gearbox, flywheel, clutch, all-new linkage bushings, and most recently a Rennshifter. I thought I had it all worked out, but over the past couple of weeks I've noticed a little clutch cable irritation in that I keep having to adjust the cable a little further and a little further to keep it from grinding. I had a volunteer jump in the car and push in the clutch while I looked at the gearbox shift lever, and it moves as far as it can.

Yesterday I drove it around all day without any problem. Last night I parked the car on level ground and left it in first gear. Today I jumped into the car and I cannot get the car OUT of first gear. It's totally stuck. The gearbox shift lever is moving as far as it can, and when in first the clutch grabs normally and releases normally. Yet I'm still stuck in first.

WTF?

I'd really love some help on this one. I'm not even sure how to tow it out of here to a mechanic with it stuck in gear like this.

Thanks for any responses.

-m.
silver74insocal
have you removed the linkage from the tranny and tried to shift by hand (the tranny that is) ? probably best to do this with ebrake on...good luck
underthetire
And the cable is a classic sign of the clutch tube broken out, or a cable about to snap on you.
r3dplanet
Um, clutch tube? Does someone have a photo of that?

underthetire
Since you asked
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=28313

Its fun, and happens to all the 914's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.