Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frankenstein Motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jabberwocky
Ok so there is not really a question here just My observations and anyones opinions. I recently bought a 75 914 here in Ohio great car runs well very minimal rust ect. I have just been working through the normal glitches and getting to know my car. Anyway I was suppose to be a 1.8 when it left the factory however it has D-Jet and an EA engine code for a 1.7. I was then looking through some paperwork I received with the car for an engine rebuild in 2003 and the shop in seatle that worked on this car used a vanagon cam and 1.8 type 2 pistons and cylinders confused24.gif . It now also has hydrolic lifters . Anyone know why this combination may have been used it seems very odd? Cost? parts in the shop? anyway the engine runs well and i guess I dont need as many valve adjustments but i have read with the vanagon cam that I will have nothing above 5k . So right now I am just driving her like I stole it driving.gif and I am building up a spare 1.7 I have to a 1911 to throw in the car next year at least that is the current plan.
Ok thats enough for now
Thanks for the ideas

70_914
It probably has the vanagon cam in order to run the hydraulic lifters. Yes, it will be set up more for low-end torque, but for around town driving that is what you need. Sounds like a low-maintenance engine built with driveability in mind.
underthetire
I have a similar set up with a 2.0. The lifters fail above 5500 or there abouts. For a DD it's quite a nice setup. Valve adjustments only every 6K or so, and you don't have to adjust right on the money. Its a no lash plus one turn or something like that.
jabberwocky
Good to know some others have been there done that. It is a great sunny DD so far and I am loving it. I just now know to ease off on that high end of the throttle a little. happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.