Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting outdoors in high humidity
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
I am nearing the point of laying down the 2k primer on my car, possibly this weekend. I'm prepping/painting the car under a pole barn. It's a structure that has a concrete floor, roof but no walls. Here in central FL the humidity is going to be high this weekend, 80%+, scattered showers throughout the day. Will this effect the paint? Should I wait until it's lower? If so, how low should it be?

-- Rob
jaxdream
The humidity probably won't hurt as much as the temp will flash the paint quicker. Maybe mix it to a slower dry to keep from spraying dryed paint , also you say the barn has no walls , the breezes will blowdirt and dust into the paint not to mention bugs hissyfit.gif maybe hang up some plastic sheets / tarps around the spraying area, you should also wet down the floor with water to keep dust down to a miniumum but don't splash it onto the car and not sloshing on the floor. Good luck with you venture....

Jack / Jaxdream
Geezer914
If it is 2K primer and you are going to block sand the car with guide coat it should be ok if it is not windy. If the wind picks up block off 2walls with plastic.
watsonrx13
Thanks guys. The wind was low, but the temp was high. I had already checked with the paint store and they said I could add a little bit of lacquer thinner to the slow the drying down, which I did. Yes, I plan to sand the guide coat...

Bugs in FL? ... blink.gif Those aren't bugs, they're the state bird.... biggrin.gif

Here's a pic after prep and primer...

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
scotty b
humidity isn't TOO much of a factor until you get to the clear coat. High humidity can make the clear blush and look cloudy. I have been working at night for the last 2 weeks due to temps in the 100's and very high humidity. Go around to collision shops in the south in the summer and yuou'll see a lot of painters at work at 2:00 a.m. blink.gif Next week isn't looking any better dry.gif
Katmanken
I scoff at the minor details of humidity in Florida.

Real painters live near the beach in the cloud of salt air. That way, you can strip down a rusty area of yer car, spray red or grey primer on it, go in for 15 minutes, and come out to find rust erupting through yer primer.

Learned a lot about why never to use a spray can because it creates a porous surface, and found out that if you avoid a spray can, most primers are porous. Thank God for self-etching non-porous primers

Never painted clear coat though. Did spray lacquer and enamel and the catalyzed primers.
charliew
You probably don't have a choice but if the humidity was 80-90 you really painted over moisture. I don't see how the paint went under the moisture or displaced it. Course the paint is moist. Maybe it will be okay, you probably really won't know for about three years. I once painted a scout with a flattened singlestage urethane top coat (my version of od green) It was after dark and cooler, and it blushed bad, I wiped over it with laquer after it dried and it looked ok, but it's still on and really holding up good.

Yes to the working late at night. I hate it when a drop of sweat falls in the paint. Also fg resin needs a lot less hardner as the heat goes up but you can work it a lot faster.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.