Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Progress! Well, kinda
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
markb
I finally got the 2.0 motor in the Red Car a few weeks ago. piratenanner.gif Major kudos to sww914 (Steve W) & Cap'n Krusty for making all of the mods/adjustments to get it on the road. This has been a long process since I got the motor 2+ years ago from hwgunner (Jonathan).

Now I need to tackle the "little" stuff. Like the wiring harness. As I was cleaning off my desk (a semi-decade undertaking), I found the PM's I printed after talking to the PO of the motor. I guess I never noticed that the car it came out of had 300+k miles on it. The harness really shows it's age. sad.gif I guess a Bowlsby harness is in my future (once I pay the credit cards down a bit. They took a big hit when I finally caved & paid off the ex. Sometimes it's worth it just to be rid of someone dry.gif ).

Some of the "little" things I'm going to try & get out of the way today:

Crimp ends on the wires to the oil pressure sender. I'm not getting good readings. I hope it's just the wiring, not actual low oil pressure from the motor.

Wire the 72 style heater blower to the 76 harness. Yes, I really do need heat. I'm a wimp, I know. biggrin.gif

Crimp new ends to the wires for the back up lights switch.

Make a plug connector for the horn button (that little tab will only take so much before it gives up the ghost).

Adjust the clutch cable.

I'll save re-gluing the dashtop on the Getty dash for another day.

Now, out to get started. Wish me luck!

Oh yeah, Happy 4th of July! flag.gif
markb
Got a couple of things done. smile.gif

Crimp ends on the wires to the oil pressure sender. I'm not getting good readings. I hope it's just the wiring, not actual low oil pressure from the motor.

No change in the readings. Sender matches the gauge. I did have the gauge sitting next to a magnet for a bit when I built the triple gauge. Could this have screwed up the gauge? I hope it's not low pressure from the motor. It only has 25k on it.

Wire the 72 style heater blower to the 76 harness.

Got this done, but the blower is on full time when the key is on. Time to pull the handle & see if the problem is on that end. sad.gif

Make a plug connector for the horn button.

Took a shot & looked at my stash of butterfly style buttons (I have a GT style on the car) and found a good one. Swapped it over & all is right with the world. smile.gif

Couldn't find my floor jack, so I skipped anything under the car for today.

I did replace/clean all the bulbs in the taillights, since I had a brake light out.

That's all for today. Time to watch a movie & then head out for the 4th celebration at my favorite watering hole.

Have a safe & happy 4th!
rick 918-S
Happy 4th man! Baby steps!
jim_hoyland
What are some of the changes you had to make to accomodate the 2.0 ? I had considered doing this when the right motor came along.... smile.gif
markb
The fuel pump is in the front of a 76 & in back on my 72, but I kept it in the back. Later cars had the heater blower motors in a different location than the early cars. I put the blower in the 72 position. This makes it a bit tight to get the 2.0 air cleaner on & off. There are a couple of wiring harness differences, but nothing big, and if you have the harness on the engine, it all works fine (heater blower wire being the only exception in my case).

Time to go back out & see if I can make more progress. smile.gif
markb
Crimp new ends to the wires for the back up lights switch. Done

Wire the 72 style heater blower to the 76 harness. Got this done, but the blower is on full time when the key is on. Time to pull the handle & see if the problem is on that end. Done I had it plugged into the wrong spot. dry.gif

Adjust the clutch cable.
Done

I even took it down to the quarter wash & hosed it down.

Now it's time for a beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.