Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side Shifter Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bills914-4
Hello everyone , HAPPY 4th flag.gif

I have a Tail shifter ( the good DR. rebuilt in 2008 ) that I want to convert to a

Side Shifter , What is envolved in this conversion ( trans only ) can someone

please elaborate , is this something that a person with some machanical skills

can do them selves smash.gif Thank You Bill D.

BTW- I have the Linkage,shifter,& Engine Bar with mounts for side shifter
what I Dont Have is the Side Shifter Ear that mounts on the trans
RJMII
Yes! A person with mechanical skills CAN do this. smile.gif

The shifter that goes into the side of the transmission needs added, and the shifter shaft that protrudes from the end needs removed, along with the nose cone change.

This is all covered in Dr Evil's trans rebuild video, with pictures and an excellent explaination. (I was there, I watched him explain it)

I'll get a couple of links for you here, as well.
Dr Evil
The big whammy to watch for is the correct alignment of the internal shift rods once you change them. This requires the special jig. If this is not done correctly, the parts inside will wear out quickly and it will shift like poo. I think RJMII is selling the jig. Are you selling them, Jim?

Yes, I go over what you need to know in the video. I still have some copies wink.gif
RJMII
I am working on the drawing today. smile.gif I should be machining them here soon.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...0904&st=60#

The shift forks link. smile.gif Kind of tough to sum up in words for some people, but there's a pic in that thread.

They go through the smaller holes in the pic in this post:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=40904#

and the tool (that I'm working on, but is available elsewhere as well) keeps the rods lined up with where they should go through those holes to adjust shifting.

Much better to see in the video, or in person; but that should give you an idea of how a person with mechanical skills CAN do it.

Bills914-4
Cool , I just ordered the DVD yesterday , What I need I guess is the

Shifter Ear Mecanism , Hey Doc whats the chance that you have one you might

sell to me , RJMII Thanks for the LINKS , when do you think you will have jigs

available
thanks Bill D.

Dr Evil
I have a few spares, but they are in boxes right now from my move. RJMII should have some, Jim?
Bills914-4
Doc , thanks
If and when you get a chance , no rush , in the mean time I'll keep looking
thanks Bill D.
RJMII
I am currently out of them. sad.gif

Call GPR? The number is in Mike's sig.

Pelican has the shift jig for $20.95. I'm having a tough time finding materials (with shipping) for a small enough cost to make it worth my time, and inexpensive enough to still sell.
Dr Evil
Jim, you should get people to order them with the DVD poke.gif Talk to jakeodoule and see if you guys can do a package deal as he is making the 1st gear holder weapon tool thing.
RJMII
That first gear weapon tool thingy rocks! I'm glad I didn't try taking it carry-on when I came home. LOL

it's looking like HDPE or LDPE (the stuff cutting boards are made out of) is a viable option.

I'll PM jakeodoule after fireworks stop.
Bills914-4
Hey guys ,
After watching Evil's DVD , it looks like the Internal Shift Rods are differant

between SIDE & TAIL shift transmissions , IS there a differance , Or will

the Tail Shift rods work in the Side Shift Conversion , if not I will need to find

those
Thanks Bill D.
McMark
The internal shift rods are different. I just did this. Not bad at all. PM me if you want the rods.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.