Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just wondering... don't hit me.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Silverstreak
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jul 5 2010, 03:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Silverstreak @ Jul 5 2010, 07:05 PM) *

I wonder who our tallest member is? At @ 6'5 I think I have a good shot.

you beat me here ... I'm 6'4

Victory is mine! biggrin.gif Do you use a stock steering wheel? Or something smaller? I have troulble getting in and out cause my knees hit the stock.
markb
Turned 54 last month. I bought my first 914 11 years ago (still have it). I've owned a bunch of 2nd 914's since then & hope to own a few more.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Silverstreak @ Jul 5 2010, 04:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Gustl @ Jul 5 2010, 03:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Silverstreak @ Jul 5 2010, 07:05 PM) *

I wonder who our tallest member is? At @ 6'5 I think I have a good shot.

you beat me here ... I'm 6'4

Victory is mine! biggrin.gif Do you use a stock steering wheel? Or something smaller? I have troulble getting in and out cause my knees hit the stock.

I am also 6'4" and 285 lbs and am currently running a stock wheel. Looking for something smaller though.

Shoe
einic
I´m 45 and bought my first and only 914 in Los Angeles when I was 32 on a vacation.
I live in Drammen Norway and still drive my unrestored 914 during summer time. It is still unrestored (It has previously been repainted and lost its orange colour to black). The original 1,7 L lost a valve and has been replaced with a Europeen 2 L 100 HP.
charliew
I remember when kennedy got shot. I was home working under a 39 chev hotrod with a loose flywheel. I didn't have my first vw yet, it's a 58 I got about 1965 or 66. The 914 is pretty new to me I've only had it for about three years it will also be a hotrod I hope. I felt as good at 50 as I did at 40 as I did at 30 but things are slowing down now some but I can just think about a approach to a problem a little better. I do have two sons that are car guys, the youngest is a real car guy, he can and is applying his education to the hobby and is getting a big jump on things as compared to my long journey. I had to hide most of my tools from him when he was 5. He is like having a automatic calculator on hand when he is around. It's funny I can add, multiply and subtract faster than he can but give him a scientific calculator and he will overwelm me pretty quick. Ask him the cfm and lbs of fuel required for a 400hp 2.9 at 7500 with a given ve and he knows exactly how to compute it. Young people in hotrodding have the advantage if the government doesn't ruin life for them.

The newest challenge is to convert the hotrods to natural gas liquid I guess.
Ian Stott
I'm 57, and am happy to hear I am old enough for one of Jake's engines! First saw a 914 in 1973 at a dealership and wanted one since, especially a 73 for obvious reasons, got one in 2008. Just finished a 1000 mile plus trip that was trouble free, the more it runs the better it gets. I am a professional driver and have driven a lot of different vehicles over the years and the 914 is the one that brings out the biggest shit eatin grin. Looking forward to my first PCA cruise this coming weekend, James Smith from Maine is also attending with his beautiful six, I'm sure we will have pics to post next week.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
swl
Interesting how many 'bought my first' way back when. Me too - sig says it all. I was 19 when the first car was born.

Damn - just looked at my own sig. I've been farting around with the new car for 3 years! That does it. By the end of the month it has to be on the road!
zx-niner
56 here. I must be pretty average since I sent my engine to Jake Raby 2 years ago when I was 54. There's something about having the kids out of college and on their own that allow the finer things in life.

I got my first 914 in 1978 and have owned 4 others since, although not continuously. The current one will probably be my last. I just can't see a Raby-engined 45-year old 914 making a good post-retirement daily driver. Especially in Vegas where we expect to be.
Cupomeat
I got my first and current 914 in 1987 when I was 17.

That will make me 40 this year and I agree about the "EMPTY NEST" 914 time as I have a 4 yr old and a 1.5yr old.
I see some people do amazing things while still having young ones, but I can't do it.
jcambo7
My brother in law got me hooked on 914's at 18 and I bought my first one at 21 and sold it and now I have my second one and I am 23 now.
Gustl
QUOTE(Silverstreak @ Jul 5 2010, 10:30 PM) *

I've got the stock steering wheel in my 1.8 - and I know the problem ...

Daiberl
41, had my first 914 when I was 20, lived in Germany at that time and enjoyed the Autobahn biggrin.gif

Now working on my Bumblebee and hope to have it running around the end of the year.

- Juergen
azbill
I'm turned 71 in June of this year. My first 356 I bought it in 1975 sold a short time latter should have done that that. My first 914 was purchased in 1978 in Houston Tx, sold it when I returned to Saudi Arabia. Bought my current 914 2.0 5 years ago when I retired. Its finished now and I'm driving it now. That my story and I'm sticking to it. I glad I'm not the oldest here.
flipb
Is this the second time we've had a thread like this? I swear I answered it once before but I don't see my response.

Anyway - I'm 32. Bought my first 914 - my first/only impractical "extra car" - last fall.

I can't really explain why, but since I was in High School, I've always talked about owning a 914. After the second kid arrived (last March), I realized it was "now or not til mid-life crisis" and decided to jump at the opportunity. Both kids love it, although they haven't been for rides. Took my wife for an alfresco drive Friday in beautiful weather and finally won her over too.
Phoenix-MN
35h, for those of you old enough that remember programing in hex shades.gif
mipstien
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Jul 6 2010, 09:20 AM) *

35h, for those of you old enough that remember programing in hex shades.gif

it doesn't take age to know hex. and at 00110101 you shoulda forgot your programming skills by now biggrin.gif

First 914 owned, a 71 1.7 from late 79 to early 81. Man I understand now that youth was/is truly wasted on the young. And thank you Skip for showing me the light!!

Second 914 I have now owned 2.5 yrs and don't see me parting with it very easly...

KP
Andyrew
I was either 13 or 14 when I got mine. Cant remember now. Im 23 now and still got the darn thing.
smile.gif

EdwardBlume
How old?

Mentally or physically? lol-2.gif
'73-914kid
I got mine at 14 and a half...
jonferns
I'm 19, have three 914's, got my first when I was 15.
corsepervita
Justinp71

Got my 914 when I was 15, now I'm 27... Man I've had it for 12 years!
Ericv1
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jul 5 2010, 11:07 PM) *

That will make me 40 this year and I agree about the "EMPTY NEST" 914 time as I have a 4 yr old and a 1.5yr old.
I see some people do amazing things while still having young ones, but I can't do it.

The key is to find the family, work, and hobby balance. It's amazing how much you can complete with a 1/2 hour a day and still have time for you family. Still, a 1.5 year old is a lot of work and I didn't have my 914 when my littlest was that age. Although, I did have other hobbies including RC Airplanes and cars.
charliew
Actually I glad that I'm old enough to not need hex. When I used hex life wasn't near as much fun.
patssle
I'm 24. Last year I was going to buy a classic Beetle and convert it into an electric car. My dad said get a Porsche instead. So I did, then dropped the electric conversion idea since it's too much fun to drive (despite having no horsepower).

If I can get heater and A/C into it, along with a real engine...I'd be pretty happy with it.
scotty b
Chronologically = 36

Mentally = 15

Physically= usually either 18 or 80. Depends on the day and what I'm doing

Cosmically = timeless rolleyes.gif

Had my first 914 for about 12 years and is still sits behind my parents garage....under a tarp.....next to the last 2 I picked up......

Damn shame I've probably had 10-12 914's and never had one that was roadworthy slap.gif

tat2dphreak
me - 34, bought my 1st 914 8 years ago, the current one 7 years ago.
SCV
Presently, I'm 32.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(Ericv1 @ Jul 6 2010, 04:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jul 5 2010, 11:07 PM) *

The key is to find the family, work, and hobby balance. It's amazing how much you can complete with a 1/2 hour a day and still have time for you family. Still, a 1.5 year old is a lot of work and I didn't have my 914 when my littlest was that age. Although, I did have other hobbies including RC Airplanes and cars.

Yes, I certainly have other hobbies, including about 200+ hrs intoDirecting/Producing/Filming and editing the Dr. Evil video, but I chalk that up to 914 time and figure I've spent more 914 time this year than the last 5 together.

Sleep suffers...
Brent
43. Bought my car when I was 19.
Lou W
I celebrated my 10th anniversary of my 43rd Birthday in January. smile.gif
oldschool
Lets see now shades.gif Click to view attachment me at 24Click to view attachment at 26 the 2 kids on my left are married Click to view attachment the family first 914
sorry can some one flip the photo. Click to view attachment and my grandsons first 914
JimmyG
44 now 17 in 83 for the first. Wish I had pics of all of them. I even had one break in half in my driveway 10 or so years ago. What a treet! Don't worry about the age thing,You will be 40,50,60 or so in just a few minutes!
Drums66
Hello everyone......I'm drums66...58yrs, I was a 914 addict
10 yrs sobriety.....doing well!,learned to control my demons. bs.gif
(having alot of fun on this planet) hic hic
GTeener
old enough to know better rolleyes.gif
Brent
the family first 914
sorry can some one flip the photo.

ms paint
buhs914
QUOTE(Lou W @ Jul 6 2010, 09:45 PM) *

I celebrated my 10th anniversary of my 43rd Birthday in January. smile.gif

What so you've had 10 43rd birthdays!? poke.gif That would make you 430 years old.. I vote you as the oldest teener owner lol-2.gif
windforfun
I can't remember.
oldschool
QUOTE(Brent @ Jul 7 2010, 01:43 PM) *

the family first 914
sorry can some one flip the photo.

ms paint

Thanks brother I can never do that. :confused:me and the wife will be married 25 years aktion035.gif
r_towle
I am younger than SLITS
jd74914
QUOTE(Silverstreak @ Jul 5 2010, 01:05 PM) *

Turned 28 in April, blegh...I wonder who our tallest member is? At @ 6'5 I think I have a good shot.

I'm not sure about that. My brother has a '72 and is 6'10". laugh.gif

In any case, I'm 22 and have 3 914's. I bought my first at 14, second at 16, and third at 19. Luckily no awesome deals have come up since then! biggrin.gif
Spoke
I'm 53. Had my first ride in a 914 in 73 and fell in love with it.

Got my first 914 in 2003; totaled it in 2005; bought my 2nd 914 in 2005; bought my first 911 in 2009.
saigon71
39...I realized the 914 purchase last year may have been the start of my mid life crisis (although I had always wanted one).

Mid-life crisis checklist:
Porsche - check
Sudden interest in fitness & health - check
20 something year old girlfriend - still working on this one... dry.gif
spare time toys
51 today
ripper911
So far without doing too much math, I have an average age of 44.
scotty b
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Jul 8 2010, 03:45 AM) *

39...I realized the 914 purchase last year may have been the start of my mid life crisis (although I had always wanted one).

Mid-life crisis checklist:
Porsche - check
Sudden interest in fitness & health - check
20 something year old girlfriend - still working on this one... dry.gif

blink.gif blink.gif I've been having a mid life crisis since I was 20 blink.gif blink.gif
BigD9146gt
30... my 914 at 20 turned out to be my quarter-life crisis car.
underthetire
41 here. on my second 914. Today I feel 60. The older I get, the more I feel wrecked getting out of bed in the morning.
Sleepin
36 here...I bought my first 914 when I was 19. Still feel 19 most days...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.