Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dropping the front end
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xperu
I am planning on dropping the front od my 74 1"; can anyone give me a step by step on how to do it? Do I need to install a bump steer if I lower 1"? Thanks in advance. Mike
Spoke
It's pretty easy.

1) Identify a place on the chassis right behind the front wheels to make your ride height measurement. Do this on a flat surface.

2) Jack each side up and adjust the ride height with the torsion bar adjusters at the end of the torsion bars just behind the front wheels. Make an adjustment lower the car and drive it at least 1 block to get the car to settle, then measure chassis height on the same flat surface as in 1).

3) Once ride height is set, you will have to have front end alignment done as the toe will be off.

Whether you need a bump-steer kit is up to you. Ideally the tie rods should connect to the rack and be parallel with the steering rack.

I used a couple of large washers under the rack instead of the bump steer kit.
xperu
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 5 2010, 01:46 PM) *

It's pretty easy.

1) Identify a place on the chassis right behind the front wheels to make your ride height measurement. Do this on a flat surface.

2) Jack each side up and adjust the ride height with the torsion bar adjusters at the end of the torsion bars just behind the front wheels. Make an adjustment lower the car and drive it at least 1 block to get the car to settle, then measure chassis height on the same flat surface as in 1).

3) Once ride height is set, you will have to have front end alignment done as the toe will be off.

Whether you need a bump-steer kit is up to you. Ideally the tie rods should connect to the rack and be parallel with the steering rack.

I used a couple of large washers under the rack instead of the bump steer kit.

OK Thanks Jerry, I'll give it a go. Mike
SirAndy
QUOTE(xperu @ Jul 5 2010, 11:05 AM) *
can anyone give me a step by step on how to do it?

You need: 11mm wrench.

No need to jack the car up, just get your arm under there to reach the 11mm adjuster bolts. One on each side. A ratchet with a 11mm nut is all you need. Tighten the bolt to raise the car, loosen the bolt to lower the car. If it's stock ride height right now, you might be able to get away without a bump steer kit. I don't like the spacers much anyways. You should consider getting an alignment afterward.

popcorn[1].gif Andy
Tom_T
agree.gif

1/2" - 1" below stock ht. doesn't require spacers or bump steer kit (set of bolts & spacers basically which one can easily & more cheaply duplicate btw), but do get a realignment so you don't abnormally wear out your tires & get less steering traction with it "out" afterwords.

1/2" - 1" gets it almost 50:50 wt. dist. & really improves the steering response & handling, so I don't know why they didn't just send them from the factory like that, except that the front clearance is less (so watch those pot holes, wheel bumpers, rolled curbs & driveway aprons, etc.!)

PS - if your alignment shop knows Porsches, it shouldn't cost you anything more to have them just adjust it for you on the alignment rack (or before) then shoot the wheels for true up!
URY914
I would soak the bolts with PB Blaster first. They get pretty rusty and dirty under there. It helps loosen them up.
914rat
Good info I'll try to lower mine next weekend.
charliew
Somehow It didn't occur to me that the front to rear weight balance would change with a lowered front adjustment.
Rob-O 1167
I thought they were higher due to DOT regulations regarding the headlight 'height' here in the states. If I remember correctly, the European cars were lower in the front then our USA models. Ask the Krusty one, he'd probably remember...
markb
Have you got the rear set where you want it already?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.