Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie trans conversion question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moparrob
So I am doing a 914-6 conversion, which will in part consist of converting my trans from a 914/901 side shifter (1974) which is a push-type throwout arm and bearing - to a 911/901 based side shifter with a pull-type throwout arm. As you know, the 911/901 is a tail shifter, never came as a side shifter, and has the throwout arm pivot point in a different location than the 914. So here is my question:

Is it possible to take a (1970) 911/901 case (which has the correct pivot location) and convert it to a side shifter by using all the 'good' parts off of my 914 side shifter and installing them in the 911 case?

In other words, can I disassemble my 914 box, install all the guts, the side shifter mechanism, and the later tail cone onto an early 911 case? Are there any further modifications which need to be performed?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Rob
pcar916
I've never tried that but the gasket set's are the same except that the side shift console seals aren't included in the 911 set. But i have another consideration as well since you are converting to a six with more horsepower.

Even if the side shift console will fit into the access hole properly and the other parts fit, the 901 case is weaker than the 914 case. The 914 case has far more (and deeper) external webbing both on the case proper and on the side cover. I suspect you can find a 914 case somewhere for not much cash. You have to buy another gasket set and set up the differential in a new case regardless.

I have a friend with an already converted 914 case that I think he still has. That said, I have run a 3.6L motor and the older (225mm) push style clutch since 1994 with no problems whatsoever.

Good luck!
IronHillRestorations
If you use a 911 transmission you'll have to have the ring and pinion flipped, and that's expensive.

9 times out of 10 a solid, rebuilt 914 gearbox will work fine.
Mike Bellis
All you really need is a 914 type clutch and pressure plate on the 6 flywheel and be done with it. Use the 914 tranny.
SirAndy
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 6 2010, 06:18 PM) *

All you really need is a 914 type clutch and pressure plate on the 6 flywheel and be done with it. Use the 914 tranny.

agree.gif
I don't consider the 911/901 an upgrade over the 914 transmission ...

The stock 901 will do just fine up to 250HP or so, beyond that, go with a 915 box.
popcorn[1].gif Andy
Dr Evil
Yes. You can put the guts (most of them) from one box into another, but you need to preserve the pinion, ring, and intermediate plate indexes. You do need to flip the R&P. There are a few ways to do this:

Good luck - just flip it
Better wink.gif - remove the bearings from the diff and swap them from side to side. Check the spacers under the bearings and swap them as well. This will typically keep the ring in the correct plain smile.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 6 2010, 09:18 PM) *

Oh ya, if you dont want to go the extra distance for no reason, then just do this and be happy wink.gif
pcar916
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 6 2010, 05:58 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 6 2010, 09:18 PM) *

Oh ya, if you dont want to go the extra distance for no reason, then just do this and be happy wink.gif

That'd be a 225mm parts, not the 215mm that came with the 914/4's... Unless you have a really small six, the larger clutch will last a lot longer 'cause that's roughly 5.36 square inches more clutch material.

More driving.gif, less wrenching!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.