Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How can you prep the bursch exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
VaccaRabite
Oh that sucks!

give this guy a call. He is just south of Harrisburg, and is the guy I used to ceramic coat my headers (which have held up perfectly). He is a nice guy and used to race 914s (or used to work on 914s that raced, can't remember).

http://www.papowderworks.com/

Zach
Vysoc

This is great stuff, really enjoying the free muffler education.

I prepped & painted my older Bursch with the VHT paint and am watching it slowly evolve back into brown.

Will be very interested to see the "bubbly mess pictures".

Keep it coming!!!! huh.gif idea.gif confused24.gif

Vysoc
kenshapiro2002
Painted mine with Rustoleum "High Heat" (2000ยบ), and it's held up great! Joe has seen it. It's the dull aluminum looking color.
jsayre914
sad.gif Here you go.

This brand new Bursch exhaust fresh out of the box with an added 100bucks now has 2 hours of driving time on it.

I will let you know what happens next popcorn[1].gif
kenshapiro2002
Think it contracted herpes.

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Aug 9 2010, 11:45 AM) *

sad.gif Here you go.

This brand new Bursch exhaust fresh out of the box with an added 100bucks now has 2 hours of driving time on it.

realred914
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Aug 9 2010, 08:45 AM) *

sad.gif Here you go.

no suprise here, powder coating cant take the heat. youi need ceramic coating to last on the exhaust system like that. I got about 1000 mile son my new ceramic caoted exhaust, even the catalytic converter has intact coating on it . very nice stuff. the place that did my ceramic coat also does regular powder coat, they will NOT powder coat an exhaust becuase of the probelms you have had, powder coat wont hold up to the heat. wrong material choice.

hopefully the vendor that did this will refund all you money.

then take it to a place that does ceramic coating. they willblast all that junkl off and start with clean metal. ceramic coaters will also coat the inside of the pipe s and muffler this two sided coating can lower the temps that teh metal sees and help remove the exhasut gases faster as they stay hot int eh pipes (the ceramic acts as an insulator.

the cermic is put on as a liquid then fired at some very high temps (much higher than powder coat temps)

Accessoroes Plus in Blemont CA does the ceramic (and powder) coating they did mine give a call 650 591-2400 ask for Ron, he is the man with teh coating knowledge.

major bummer you got stuck with powder coating. hope you get all you money back. it is the wrong material to use. the vendor shoudl have known better
jsayre914
The phone call;

ring ring ring

John my exhaust didnt even last one hour before the paint just bubbled away.

Oh, I guess it got hotter than that 600 degree powder could handle.

600 ? I thought we agreed that the high temp powder was rated at 1200 degrees.

No. You said that your exhaust wouldnt get hotter than 400degrees

mad.gif chair.gif

Bring it back, I just got in a ceramic powder that is good up to 2400degrees, I can cut the weld on the chrome tip if you wanna keep it, and we can put a couple holes and screw it back on at the end. or we could thread it. I will not charge you because you are a nice guy. Its usually around 300 bucks for this type of coating.

I will see you in the morning John

Now i know this guy lied to me because we definatly agreed to 1200 degree powder. and i would not tell the guy my exhaust only gets to 400degrees, since i already know it gets much hotter than that.

BUT

i am willing to see what happens next. Shit, i already paid the guy, and he seems friendly enough. (i must also mention he did drop the exhaust off at my house on Saturay morning) any other powder coaters deliver to a residence free??
VaccaRabite
If he is going to ceramic coat and comp the price to what you already paid, you are going to be set. The ceramic will take an initial baking in an oven at thier facility, but will still be fragile when you install it on your car. Running the car will finish the baking process and the finish will be excellent.

Do not expect both inside and out to be coated. mine was not. That is usually much more expensive as it takes more tooling and time to do properly.

Zach
jsayre914
So.... sad.gif

I waited another 2 weeks and picked up my Bursch today from the guy. He ruined my exhaust 100%. He said when the oven got to 600 degrees the metal wrinkled WTF.gif

I do not believe much of anything this guy says mad.gif and I now have a brand new Bursch coated with ceramic (so he says). I am not sure how it will sound, or if it will even work as a muffler at all confused24.gif I am also not so sure the paint wont just cook off and i am left with nothing ar15.gif blowup.gif

I would love some opinions or comments. (so much for my new Bursch) hissyfit.gif

oh yeah... he said the floor of the kiln also looks like my muffler and he now has to replace the floor. This guy has no idea what he is doing. uggggg
jsayre914
isnt it beuatiful wub.gif icon8.gif
VaccaRabite
Joe, take a sharp knife - like an exacto knife - and cut one of those puckers. That looks like like the ceramic coat is blistered, and not that the metal is actually dented.

But I could be seeing something wrong. is the metal actually dented? If so, I think that your guy did something horribly wrong. That muffler can take temps well over 600 degrees without deforming. I am guessing that this guy cranked the oven to its hottest possible temp and just left it in there.

If it were me, I'd be asking for a full refund for the work done AND for the cost of a new muffler, with a threat of taking Douchy McPowdercoater to civil court. if you know any lawyers, get one to write you a letter as ammunition. You have been robbed, my friend.

Zach

DanT
looks like the metal is deformed to me....look at the embossed lettering.

that oven must have been set pretty high to not only deform the muffler but also the floor of the guys oven....

The finish just doesn't look like the normal ceramic coating to me either confused24.gif

I think you and your muffler got hosed..... sad.gif sorry
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 7 2010, 12:51 PM) *

is the metal actually dented?

Yup! reeeeal bad sad.gif
I could rename this thread, "How to kill a Brand new Bursch Muffler"
jsayre914
I just got off the phone with Doug at Horespower Engineering (Bursch) very nice guy, and a great company. A+ . I explained everything to him that was happening, and he explained a bunch of things that could of happend. He also was willing to cut and weld on a new muffler at no cost to me first.gif

I thanked him for the offer, and he said he will ceramic coat it before he ships it back to me. I am sending him the pics as soon as i am done posting, if he thinks everything should hold i will just run it as is. Obviously i would pay for the ceramic coating, but How Cool Is This Company
beerchug.gif

Thanks Doug, my day just got a lot better driving.gif
Eric_Shea
From Post #4

Blast it to bare metal and paint with POR-20 Exhaust Manifold Grey.

I've never had a problem with this stuff and my muffler looks like the day I had it painted. Just mentioning it for anyone else reading. They've renamed it POR-15 again, the POR-20 is a much higher gloss aluminium look now:

http://www.por15.com/FACTORY-MANIFOLD-GRAY/productinfo/FMGG/

Joe, bummer about your powder guy and WTG Doug at Bursch!! smilie_pokal.gif
VaccaRabite
Joe, thats great news man!

I'd still go after the shop, though. Great vengeance and furious anger and all that.

Zach
scotty b
This guy is a f-ing idiot !! When I was at the powder coating shop I also did ceramic coating on ocassion. A semi trained monkey could do this stuff. Sandblast part, blow clean, spray ceramic on and bake. It just isn't that damned hard. This idiot most likely had his oven to high. P.C and ceramic coating are simple easy money. I wish I had my own setup dry.gif You get the " package " yet ?
jsayre914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 7 2010, 05:35 PM) *

I wish I had my own setup dry.gif

Me too, i would send you more projects wub.gif

You get the " package " yet ?

Not yet, but it might be at the shop waiting for me smile.gif

i am still waiting for the final word from Doug.
jsayre914
icon_bump.gif

Update: I just got the call today that my Bursch was fixed. Cut the muffler rewelded a brand new one. (FREE!!) by Horse Power Engineering and Doug had a local shop Ceramic Coat it before he sent it back to me. cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Only thing is... the ceramic coater did a nice smooth black the entire system, including the brand new chrome tip unsure.gif

Oh well, The other guy said it looked really cool, kinda like a black chrome. smile.gif These Guys went above and beyond the call of duty. Thanks Bursch aktion035.gif

Pics of my one of a kind Bursch will be posted very soon, once i get it biggrin.gif

driving.gif
VaccaRabite
Thats awesome Joe. You will be driving again soon!

Zach
jsayre914
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

It looks great black, I love it biggrin.gif Cant Wait To Get Home !! driving.gif
dlee6204
That looks good! Looks stealthy with that black tip! ph34r.gif Glad everything worked out for you.
VaccaRabite
That looks fantastic Joe.

Zach
BigDBass
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 28 2010, 08:41 AM) *
That looks fantastic Joe.

The glass or the exhaust? shades.gif
maf914
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Sep 7 2010, 12:32 PM) *

I just got off the phone with Doug at Horespower Engineering (Bursch) very nice guy, and a great company. A+ . I explained everything to him that was happening, and he explained a bunch of things that could of happend. He also was willing to cut and weld on a new muffler at no cost to me first.gif

I thanked him for the offer, and he said he will ceramic coat it before he ships it back to me. I am sending him the pics as soon as i am done posting, if he thinks everything should hold i will just run it as is. Obviously i would pay for the ceramic coating, but How Cool Is This Company

I am glad your muffler ordeal was finally and nicely resolved.

Now, I would like to ask why Bursch doesn't just offer ceramic coated exhausts in the first place. They could do it for an extra $50-75 and save people the headache of blasting and coating their exhausts themselves. Plus Bursch could then shake the reputation of selling systems that rust as soon as installed. I've used a Bursch Quiet in the past and was satisfied with the performance, but the thing is rusty!
jsayre914
QUOTE(maf914 @ Oct 30 2010, 06:08 PM) *

Now, I would like to ask why Bursch doesn't just offer ceramic coated exhausts in the first place. They could do it for an extra $50-75 and save people the headache of blasting and coating their exhausts themselves.

agree.gif

My car would not have been down as long as it was. confused24.gif
twinfin360
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Oct 27 2010, 01:51 PM) *

:Qarl: :Qarl: :Qarl: :Qarl: :Qarl: :Qarl: :Qarl: :Qarl:

It looks great black, I love it :D Cant Wait To Get Home !! :driving:

Incredible background!! A Bursch "Pipe" in a Head Shop full of pipes!!! Too funny!

PS - Doug at Horespower Engineering (Bursch) IS Truly a very nice guy!
Just today he took the time to go off and measure and school me on the difference of the 1.7/1.8 exhaust from the 2.0 exhaust. The flanges are actually 1" farther apart from each other on the 1.7/1.8 than on the 2.0 and the the actual flanges are a little more than a 1/4" wider on the 2.0. Saved me knowing this ...cause they sure look the same in photos.

Here's there web site: BURSCH EXHAUST

-Damon in Santa Cruz
jsayre914
QUOTE(twinfin360 @ Nov 11 2010, 02:15 AM) *

PS - Doug at Horespower Engineering (Bursch) IS Truly a very nice guy!

agree.gif

He is the MAN beerchug.gif
toon1
I just read this whole thread.

That sucks about the powdercoating prob.. good to see you got it resolved.

Awhile back, I p coated my HE's and my bursch ex. with high temp P coating from eastwood.

I did the work my self at a friends shop who has a sand blaster and an oven.

There where NO special precautions to take for the prep. and application. Hell, I used the cheapie Eastwood p coating gun.The oven only needed to be set at 400*F.

I applied 2 coats. They came out great and after 4k miles, they are holding up perfect.

914werke
revisiting this ...
I see no one posted any pics of their setup where they have installed a flange'd/replaceable muffler?
Im curious : did you use a stainless or aluminized steel ? If SS, did you have to source SS flanges? Did you use 2 or 3 bolt flanges?
BuddyV
My local exhaust shop replaced my Bursch can with a Magna-Flow...... don't know if it will last longer, but it sure does sound nice!

evilgrin.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jan 1 2012, 12:56 PM) *

revisiting this ...
I see no one posted any pics of their setup where they have installed a flange'd/replaceable muffler?
Im curious : did you use a stainless or aluminized steel ? If SS, did you have to source SS flanges? Did you use 2 or 3 bolt flanges?

Cut off old, weld in new.
The pipes will not outlast a decent muffler so there is no value added to welding on flanges. You also don't have a whole lot of room to work with in there, and the flanges will take up valuable real estate.

If you have it ceramic coated inside and out (which may cost as much as the muffler in the first place), at that point it may be worth while, but the stock bursch muffler will last a long time as well if it has been coated properly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.