Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How can you prep the bursch exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
jsayre914
if you were following my exhaust leak thread, i purchased a brand new bursch and hooked it up to my stainless heats drove the krap out of the car, drove every day in the rain sleet snow 105 degree weather etc. pulled the motor and dropped the next motor in and drove the crap out of it some more. Then i noticed a hole the size of a softball in the muffler and the pipes are all corroded to hell. In 1 year confused24.gif

So when i purchase a new bursch and it looks oh so bueatifull on day one. We all know the paint comes off on day 5. Then one month it is solid brown color. and 1 year later it is trash sad.gif screwy.gif

What can i do to the exhaust before i install??

powder coat
ceramic coat
high heat paint
etc.

popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jul 7 2010, 03:20 PM) *
How can you prep the bursch exhaust, to make it last F O R E V E R ???

Put it on a shelf in your living room ... biggrin.gif

The Bursch is notorious for rusting away in a very short time. You could try to have a new one ceramic-coated. That might buy you a year or two ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
zymurgist
I would think that cutting off the muffler, ceramic coating the pipes/flanges, and installing a stainless muffler would be the way to go.
Eric_Shea
Blast it to bare metal and paint with POR-20 Exhaust Manifold Grey.
J P Stein
*Blast it to bare metal*, coat with hi heat stove paint, recoat every year.
I've had cheep assed Bursch headers on the shitbox for 12 years.....and still going strong.

* that black shit they paint it with is horrible crap....it's *all* gotta go.
charliew
Send it to china and get a ss version made and it will outlast you. I guess there are not enough needed but that would be the best way to go. Chinese suby headers are as good as you can expect any to be.

I have blasted vw bug headers and sprayed them with eastwoods ss paint and cured them and they held up good. The trick is to not do short startups and leave moisture in the inside of the tubes. My Dad used to drill a 1/8 hole in the bottom of his mufflers to drain moisture out of them but the trick is to keep the water burned out.

I had some real expensive fiero 6 headers creamic coated but I also wrapped them and probably ruined them. They are still solid but I bet the wrap killed the metal from heat. I don't know what bursch cost but maybe you should just copy them in ss.
76-914
http://jet-hot.com/
They did my headers on my plane and they were still good 10 yr's later when I sold it.
Krieger
I cereamic coated my bursch 9 years ago. Still in great shape. What kind of driving do you do? Do you drive short distances in your moist climate never really letting the muffler heat up and dry out moisture? The moisture may be collecting and pooling. My wife does short distance driving. In anticipation of a rusted out muffler, I drilled an 1/8 hole on the lowest point of her muffler on her brand NEW car...14 years and 92k miles later. Still completely intact and no issues
jsayre914
QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Jul 7 2010, 07:17 PM) *

What kind of driving do you do? Do you drive short distances in your moist climate never really letting the muffler heat up and dry out moisture?

I drive the car every day rain snow sun, and usually for periods of one hour at a time at full throttle, on a 1.8 thats not very fast biggrin.gif and i work on the car every day. i never thought to drill a hole in the exhaust.

i am one of those "die hard 914 drivers" driving.gif
r_towle
cut off the muffler and weld on a flange to the header.
Send that off to jet coat and get it coated...or like Eric/JP said...paint it yearly.
Buy a magnaflow short muffler....weld a flange on the end.
The muffler will be about 20-30 dollars (I get them at autozone)
I have had to replace my last one at 10 years....but I dont drive asmuch anymore.

Rich
VaccaRabite
agree.gif
pull it. Cut the bad muffler off, weld on a flange at my place, then have the pipes blasted and coated inside and out.

With a flange, you can bolt on new mufflers easy when they rust out, or get SS mufflers and be good to go for a long time. With the piped ceramic coated in and out, they will probably never rust again.

Of course, that will cost as much as a new Bursch - but it may be the last one you have to buy.

Zach
Eric_Shea
or like Eric/JP said...paint it yearly.

I've had POR-20 on my 911 exhaust for 7 years with no re-paint. Looks like it did the day I had it squirted.
Mike Bellis
If you use a 24k gold plating it will never corrode. You will need to make it a quick release so you can take it with you when you leave the car.
campbellcj
I never liked their mufflers, but I have Bursch headers that are Jet-Hot coated and have worked well for >5 years so far.
thomasotten

I had mine Jet Hot coated. So far no rust, but a small leak on the seam.

IPB Image
JmuRiz
Woah, that's one good looking Bursch!!!
realred914
accesories plus in belmont calif. does a very nice job of ceramic coating, they can do both inside and outside, very tought coating, have it on my van.

cheap way is cans of BBQ paint and re-touch up twice a year, but the inside may still rust.
jsayre914
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Jul 8 2010, 01:57 AM) *

I had mine Jet Hot coated. So far no rust, but a small leak on the seam.

how much did that cost to do, and was it just on the outside?? they didnt coat the chrome did they??

i like happy11.gif
nsr-jamie
Yes, me too...I want to know how much did that cost? It looks great and I am just about to redo my old Bursch muffler too like you
Sleepin
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 7 2010, 05:02 PM) *

http://jet-hot.com/
They did my headers on my plane and they were still good 10 yr's later when I sold it.

agree.gif
BigDBass
I'd like to get an idea of pricing as well.

Try searching google maps in your area for "exhaust coating" or "performance coating" or the like.

That's how I found a shop nearby (lo-ko.com) that does this. They are presently blasting & powdercoating some spare heat tubes and air intake box for me so I can evaluate their work and service. May have them ceramic coat my SSI HE's and/or Bursch depending on how that goes. That reminds me: They're supposed to have the stuff back to me today.
jsayre914
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jul 9 2010, 12:33 PM) *

Try searching google maps in your area for "exhaust coating" or "performance coating" or the like.

i just tried that, thanks for the tip...

they said it would be close to 200.00 bucks with a 2 1/2 week turnaround. They dont even do it in house. (probaly send it to jet hot) chair.gif

i will call jet hot next chowtime.gif
zymurgist

May have them ceramic coat my SSI HE's

Why? They'll probably outlive your car already. Just curious.
BigDBass
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 9 2010, 02:48 PM) *

May have them ceramic coat my SSI HE's
Why? They'll probably outlive your car already. Just curious.

Haven't decided, but main benefit I had in mind was to keep the heat moving through it rather than heating it. But while I typed that it dawned on me that that could keep clean air from being heated for heat/defrost purposes, eh!?
thomasotten
I think I spent like $150 or so to have it Jet hot coated including shipping. But you need to start with a fairly new muffler. Someone asked about the chrome tip. I think they just blasted the chrome off and coated the whole thing.

More pics here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=muffler
kenshapiro2002
Hmmmmmmmm....I have a Bursch that's been on my car since 1989 (showed it to Jeff Thursday).
jsayre914
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jul 10 2010, 11:00 AM) *

Hmmmmmmmm....I have a Bursch that's been on my car since 1989 (showed it to Jeff Thursday).

who's jeff confused24.gif

joe poke.gif

kenshapiro2002
Jeff...Joe...same thing. lol-2.gif

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jul 12 2010, 12:02 AM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jul 10 2010, 11:00 AM) *

who's jeff confused24.gif

joe poke.gif

zymurgist
Just one of those short J-names... it should be easy to remember, Keith. poke.gif
kenshapiro2002
Kent,

Thanks,
Keith

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 12 2010, 06:40 AM) *

Just one of those short J-names... it should be easy to remember, Keith. poke.gif

IronHillRestorations
I guess someone could make a smart ass remark about name problems and Jeff's (Joe's) establishment???

Back on topic, I've found the Jet-Hot coating to be about as good as it gets. Expensive but good!
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentMSDS inc. uses a local metallic ceramic contractor with great success rate on the QC and life of the coatings. Thoroughly blasted, heated, coated (inside and outside), heated once again, cured and then burnished for that awesome satin silver look. All of this for approx 1/2 the price of jethot. Call me at 818-507-6937 or PM for a quote on your system...sorry I can't do rusted thru or 18 gauge exhaust systems (most off-shore types)...just too thin mad.gif
Marty
jsayre914
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Jul 10 2010, 07:33 AM) *

I think I spent like $150 or so to have it Jet hot coated including shipping. But you need to start with a fairly new muffler. Someone asked about the chrome tip. I think they just blasted the chrome off and coated the whole thing.

More pics here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=muffler

You spent 150 bucks back in august 2007. GREAT DEAL cheer.gif

I just got a quote from Gus Gusler @ jethot

Outside Only blink.gif

Sterling silver 4cyl bursch including strip charge and shipping one way...

... $304.00 dry.gif

then add the cost of my new bursch 250.00....

tatall
$554.00

no thanks sad.gif
VaccaRabite
Joe, take the exhaust to Broadway Auto Parts in Red Lion. Have him bead blast it. I can't remember their machinists name, but he is a very nice guy, and very reasonably priced per hour. He will also tell you up front if he thinks it is too far gone to bring back. Bring it to my place and we will cut off the holed muffler and weld on a flange, and then paint it with some high temp BBQ paint. On a freshly blasted and cleaned surface, the paint should work great.

At that point, we can add whatever new muffler you want to add, and change it as need be.
jsayre914
thanks zach smile.gif

only one thing i forgot to mention.

I'm sitting right next to my brand new Bursch rolleyes.gif I want to treat it before. the install
realred914
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jul 22 2010, 11:38 AM) *

thanks zach smile.gif

only one thing i forgot to mention.

I'm sitting right next to my brand new Bursch rolleyes.gif I want to treat it before. the install

ceramic coating inside and out is great, Accessories Plus in Belmont Calif. (650 591-2400) does a real nice job at it, local for me, no shipping.

Lavanaut
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jul 22 2010, 09:58 AM) *

I just got a quote from Gus Gusler @ jethot

Outside Only blink.gif

Sterling silver 4cyl bursch including strip charge and shipping one way...

... $304.00 dry.gif

Yeah Jet-Hot is crazy expensive. Like Kleenex to tissues, they seem to have managed to make their name synonymous with ceramic coating, but at the end of the day they're just one option. I had a set of HEs done locally, ceramic, for about half what JetHot quoted me, and they came out just as nice (I've done both). Temperature resistance and warranties were similar.

Reid
VaccaRabite
If you have a new one, still have it bead blasted at Broadway to remove all the cheap paint. Then repaint with high temp grill paint - following the instructions for prep. Prep it well, and it will last.

Zach
jsayre914
dropped my brand new exhaust off to the local powdercoater Tue Morning. biggrin.gif I will have the before and after picture shortly.

popcorn[1].gif
ONTHEGRIND
Sandblast
IPB Image
Base coat and turbo x inside3 and out
IPB Image
Bake
IPB Image
Enjoy
IPB Image
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Aug 5 2010, 12:23 PM) *

dropped my brand new exhaust off to the local powdercoater Tue Morning. biggrin.gif I will have the before and after picture shortly.

popcorn[1].gif

The guys near you are going to just powder coat the exhaust, or ceramic coat it? I don't think that regular powder will stand up to exhaust temps, though ceramic will. I had mine ceramic coated.

Zach
jsayre914
They said they have HIGH HEAT powder. and the selection goes from like 40 colors down to about 5.

They said they use it all the time.

How hot does the exhaust get anyway??

Now you got me scared.... chair.gif

wacko.gif
VaccaRabite
Don't be scared. I don't know shit about powder coating!

If the pros say they have high heat powder, I am sure that they do. And if it fails after a month, you can take it back and tell them to fix it. I would not be worried.

Zach
jsayre914
I just got my exhaust back from the powdercoater cheer.gif

Sorry i cant get a better picture, today has been very busy, and i only took 1 pic, now i am on my way to the driveway for the install.

joe is taking the teener to work sunday morning biggrin.gif

here is the brand new bursch, before. It does look pretty in the the picture, but dont let looks fool you shades.gif
jsayre914
here it is powdered and ready..... beer3.gif
VaccaRabite
Looks bitch'n.

Let us know how the high temp powder holds!

Zach
scotty b
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Aug 7 2010, 04:33 PM) *

joe is taking the teener to work sunday morning biggrin.gif

Speaking in the third peson eh ? Scotty stopped by to see Joe last week, but Joe was on vacation. Scotty got lost in Md. Scotty found the wrong side of town. unsure.gif BTW The store cat looked smoke.gif
jsayre914
sad.gif

I cant believe you stopped by the one vacation i get in 365 days......
headbang.gif

call me next time
scotty b
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Aug 7 2010, 07:11 PM) *

sad.gif

I cant believe you stopped by the one vacation i get in 365 days......
headbang.gif

call me next time

I did...you didn't answer..............ungrateful bastard dry.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 7 2010, 10:52 PM) *

Looks bitch'n.

Let us know how the high temp powder holds!

Zach

Well after the drive in and the drive home, and a lot of fumes sad.gif

I am pretty sure most of the paint is gone now, and whattever is left is a bubbly mess

headbang.gif hissyfit.gif icon8.gif stromberg.gif wacko.gif

Are there anymore #%!@# smileys to express my anger and frustration??

I will call the guy in the morning, and i will take a pic for you guys.
dry.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.