Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suby Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
Well, I've been projectless for 5 months and I'm twitching. I'm thinking about a Vespa restoration (way too much $ for these so far mad.gif ), building a sailboat (that's in keeping with the tradition of jumping into things I know nothing about WTF.gif ), or building another 914 (my personal choice smilie_pokal.gif ). Hell, I might even take a few years and do it right. So my question is how much are we talking about to create a 914-6 given: #1, a running 4 cyl doner 914 - #2, a running Suby 6 engine. Yes, I understand there are companies that sell conversion parts and/or kits but......... in the real world when it is all said and done, what is the appx. cost? Thx, popcorn[1].gif
bfrymire
Depends. Heard that before, right?

1. Which motor? The NA 2.5L is one the cheapest to do.
2. Which kit?
3. Are you going to fab the radiator, or buy one?
4. Are you including the cost of the donor 914?
5. Aftermarket ECU or using the stock ECU?

As you can see, there are a ton of variables.

Low budget, maybe 5k. High budget, much more.

Ok. To make some assumptions:

EG33 - around 700-900
Conversion Kit = 2000
Radiator = 1000
ECU = 1000-1400
Exhaust = 200+
Gauges = 100+

Also, AC? Heater?

You can see from the above numbers, around 5k or so. And this is assuming you do everything else yourself.

-- brett

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 7 2010, 04:45 PM) *

Well, I've been projectless for 5 months and I'm twitching. I'm thinking about a Vespa restoration (way too much $ for these so far mad.gif ), building a sailboat (that's in keeping with the tradition of jumping into things I know nothing about WTF.gif ), or building another 914 (my personal choice smilie_pokal.gif ). Hell, I might even take a few years and do it right. So my question is how much are we talking about to create a 914-6 given: #1, a running 4 cyl doner 914 - #2, a running Suby 6 engine. Yes, I understand there are companies that sell conversion parts and/or kits but......... in the real world when it is all said and done, what is the appx. cost? Thx, popcorn[1].gif

nsyr
I did mine for about $2000.
jdm twin turbo engine 700 shipped
generic stainless headers and stock wrx turbo 350
megasquirt ecu 400
suby front wheel drive transmission 300
odds and ends ...
i had a 944 radiator and fan assembly already

If I was to do it over I would get an america wrx engine, transmission and ecu.
you pay for it one way or another

the jdm engines are slightly different and a bit more difficult to get parts for. head gaskets and what not.
firstknight13
QUOTE(nsyr @ Jul 7 2010, 04:35 PM) *

megasquirt ecu 400
odds and ends ...

the jdm engines are slightly different and a bit more difficult to get parts for. head gaskets and what not.

where do you get a megasquirt ecu for 400??????? for thyat price i'll take 2!!!!
Rotary'14
QUOTE(firstknight13 @ Jul 7 2010, 06:09 PM) *

megasquirt ecu 400
odds and ends ...

where do you get a megasquirt ecu for 400??????? for thyat price i'll take 2!!!!

Well you get a basic built unit from these guys,, they repaired mine for me after another "respected" repair guy couldn't find my mistake. headbang.gif

http://www.symtechlabs.com/catalog/megasqu...s-ecu-p-32.html

I would suggest upgrading the ECU to MS2, but do what your budget allows.

-Rob
nsyr
i have ms2 w/v3 board. i bought it as a kit 6-7 years ago from diyautotune.com. if i recall the kit was less than $300 and i bought the stim kit and relay board with it.
1968Cayman
I'm about $500 into my Subie 2,2l conversion. So far it includes the following:

'95 EJ22
Harness
ECU
2 FWD Subie trannies (one was to trade for the new cradle)
Axels

Needless to say, PAP has been a tremendous boon. I even saw a subie 6 out at one location that was in a car that'd been hit hard in the rear. PAP charges $150 for 4 cyl, think it's $200 for 6(??) and I bought the harness and ECU out of the car I pulled the engine from for $20. I think patience is the key to keeping project costs down, but I happened upon PAP at a time when they had all of the above parts in the yard at once.

Going to buy an MR2 shifter, a new water pump and a new radiator for the project but other than those items and fuel/coolant lines it's not too much of a stretch to think the car will be running for under $1500. That's taking into account the turbo that I have yet to buy . . .
underthetire
QUOTE(firstknight13 @ Jul 7 2010, 06:09 PM) *

megasquirt ecu 400
odds and ends ...

A little soldering and 254.00 gets you one from DIY autotune, MS2-V3.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.