Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My car is so horny!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
Alright, so yesterday I get in my 914 to go for a drive and the horn starts blowing, I could mess with the horn activating floppy piece on the steering wheel and get it to stop but it came back... alot. mad.gif
I pull the fuse that says horn, and it's not working, confused24.gif so I try others until I find the one that stops it, and it happens to be the one that kills the tach and fuel guage when you put on the brakes, and makes the tach read wrong... headbang.gif
So I look in the manual and it looks easy enough, so I unhook my horn having found is easily next to the left side fog lamp. Having done that and it seeming to do the job, the wires aren't connected anymore, I went happily to bed. yellowsleep[1].gif

This morning I get in it to go to work, and to my suprise, the horn starts blowing! hissyfit.gif
Now... Having disconnected the horn the night before, and not believing that gremlins had come in the night to hook it back up for me, I look on the right side.
Some PO had installed a second horn, so trying to get to work in a timely manner I get out my toolbox and disconnect the other horn taping off the connectors. smash.gif

I am wondering. What do you think about leaving the connections on the end of the wires taped up with the possibility of current flowing to them because of the horn attempting to always sound? Is this safe? idea.gif
Eric_Shea
I'm sure there's a 700 Tech Tip spam soon to follow. biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
As long as it's taped off and the terminal is not touching anything, no current will flow. You can leave it that way as long as you like. If you are worried, remove the horn relay above the fuse panel.
detoxcowboy
There is a high tone horn and a low tone horn, each is next to a fog lamp.. wired in series..
ripper911
the car is a '74 1.8. should only have one.
Tom
You will be OK with the wires taped up well, but you should find and fix the problem that is causing this. These cars are small to begin with. Need something to let others know you are there.
smile.gif
Tom
Cap'n Krusty
I don't recall ever seeing a 914 with only 1 horn, and I've worked on a LOT of 'em in the last 37 years ...........................................

The Cap'n
VaccaRabite
It sounds like your car is having general electric malaise. Stepping on the brakes shoudl not cause tack and gas gauge to die. I think you have other electric issues to discover.

No lie, I got a good picture of the 914 electric dirgram and made it the background of my computer, so that I have to look at it every day. Learn the system and start chasing wires.

Zach
ripper911
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 16 2010, 10:02 PM) *

It sounds like your car is having general electric malaise. Stepping on the brakes shoudl not cause tack and gas gauge to die. I think you have other electric issues to discover.

No lie, I got a good picture of the 914 electric dirgram and made it the background of my computer, so that I have to look at it every day. Learn the system and start chasing wires.

Zach

Pull out the third fuse from the right... happy11.gif
swl
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 16 2010, 05:49 PM) *

I don't recall ever seeing a 914 with only 1 horn, and I've worked on a LOT of 'em in the last 37 years ...........................................

The Cap'n

According to the Haynes wiring diagrams (I know -not a reliable source) the dual horn was an option starting in 72. 70/71 don't show the optional wiring so it looks like all the early ones were single horn. Given that you haven't seen any singles it is a pretty good bet that Porsche USA ordered them all with that option.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.