Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: Front axle mount reinforcing (anyone chopping up an old car?)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
sfrenck
Click to view attachmentRemoved the plate covering my steering rack this morning - only to discover that the anchor point on the passenger side had rusted out. I believe this is part 914.501.164.10 - but am not sure.

Anyone have one to spare?
Krieger
Find someone on this thread that is cutting up a car. You need a little more metal than just that part.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jul 17 2010, 09:29 AM) *

Find someone on this thread that is cutting up a car. You need a little more metal than just that part.

agree.gif

You've got that entire pan section rusting off & may lose that side of the suspension on a corner or something. I think that the windshield washer bottle/hoses leak from above that point & rust through there as the low point on that side of the fuel tank compartment.

Here's a pic of what happened to mine just sitting on blocks in my dry SoCal garage for 25 years 85-09/10 - & my 914 had a complete $6500 resto & full running gear & suspension overhaul between 80-84, so I know it wasn't that way when is was put up for storage! The bolt is still solid & threaded, but the pan around the support strut is toast!

I think you've probably got the start of what my pic shows, if you start poking around with a screwdriver, which is how I opened this +/- 2"x4" "L-hole" up to assess the extent of the rust damage.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

shades.gif
sfrenck

Poked around with the screwdriver... only opened up a 1" diameter hole on the right side of the mount (thankfully). I don't think I need too much more than the piece that welds to the floor pan. Can anyone confirm that the part number I listed was the correct one? Anyone chopping up a car have this piece?
914xprs
hello,
i will send a pm. look, any sheetmetal or part for your 914....i have it.
i will cut to order and ship to you priority mail. if you think you just need the bracket...i would advise having me cut long around bracket a good 8-10" to give you enough to replace the rest of the rusted area that you will find when trying to weld in new piece.
paypal to iefixitburke@yahoo.com
$60.00 shipped
thank you
Terry @ porsche914partsandcars@hotmail.com
951-283-2111
sfrenck
Bill - Need at least this much.... if you go all the way past the "big hole" (the one that is supposed to be there - not the ones due to rust) that would be great.

Scott
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.