Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running /better/ than before.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
corsepervita
Tonight I did the following:

- Pulled the pressure sensor and verified it held vacuum
- Refreshed connections on plug for pressure sensor and input for it
- Replaced multiple vacuum lines
- Replaced both vacuum lines going to dizzy
- Replaced both vacuum lines going to supplementary air valve (both were cracked)
- Refreshed connection to supplementary air valve
- Cleaned the oil bath and cleaned the flap (was sticking/sometimes not moving freely)
- Cleaned contacts on throttle valve switch
- Refreshed connector and plug at throttle valve switch
- Cleaned throttle body, all openings, all vacuum ports on throttle body
- Refreshed connection to cold start
- Refreshed connection to temp feeler #1
- Adjusted throttle

After this the car still has a slight difficulty starting without giving it a blip of the throttle but damn near started right off the bat.

Aside from that I got only the tiniest pop and it was much better than before. Will not know till the car is warmed up and running at operating temp is this has helped tremendously or not. The throttle response either way was SIGNIFICANTLY improved and did not cough or hesitate upon giving it gas when cold like it did prior. I take that as a much better sign.

It also seems to me that the intake boot where it meets the throttle body was not tightened all the way and was leaking and not sealing properly. I used a finger dab of oil around the seal where it seats on the throttle body to make a good seal and tightened it back up. Much better.

aktion035.gif

Will try it out tomorrow night. It's almost 1:30am now. I'll piss off my neighbors if I start it up now.

Also - interesting... the car came with a refurbished mps. I checked it and mine is a totally different model # than that one. I show mine ending in 003. The other ended in 022 906 051 E - now i read on the D-Jetronic parts log that the 051 E is different than my 051 (alternate # ending in 003) and is for later 70 model cars, and the 003 is for the EARLY model cars on the forums. Does this mean I cannot use the 051 E at all on mine?
Tom_T
Glad to hear you tracked down several problems & have it running. But remember that these 914 EFI's are not the modern turn & crank & start variety, htey will start that way with some difficulty as you experienced, but it's not indicative of a problem.

If you read the owner's manual for your 914, under starting the engine (pg. 13 IIRC) - it says to depress the pedal to the floor & hold it while cranking until it starts - in any weather, hot or cold - same procedure.

I had to relearn not to floor it when I got my 85 BMW 325e! biggrin.gif
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(corsepervita @ Jul 18 2010, 03:27 AM) *

Tonight I did the following:

- Pulled the pressure sensor and verified it held vacuum
- Refreshed connections on plug for pressure sensor and input for it
- Replaced multiple vacuum lines
- Replaced both vacuum lines going to dizzy
- Replaced both vacuum lines going to supplementary air valve (both were cracked)
- Refreshed connection to supplementary air valve
- Cleaned the oil bath and cleaned the flap (was sticking/sometimes not moving freely)
- Cleaned contacts on throttle valve switch
- Refreshed connector and plug at throttle valve switch
- Cleaned throttle body, all openings, all vacuum ports on throttle body
- Refreshed connection to cold start
- Refreshed connection to temp feeler #1
- Adjusted throttle

After this the car still has a slight difficulty starting without giving it a blip of the throttle but damn near started right off the bat.

Make sure the valves are adjusted properly. Tight valves can cause popping. Exhaust leaks can also cause popping as can a lean conditions. The mixture needs to be a little richer at cold temps. This is done by the CHT and the ECU. A mis-adjusted MPS will also cause running problems.

Aside from that I got only the tiniest pop and it was much better than before. Will not know till the car is warmed up and running at operating temp is this has helped tremendously or not. The throttle response either way was SIGNIFICANTLY improved and did not cough or hesitate upon giving it gas when cold like it did prior. I take that as a much better sign.

It also seems to me that the intake boot where it meets the throttle body was not tightened all the way and was leaking and not sealing properly. I used a finger dab of oil around the seal where it seats on the throttle body to make a good seal and tightened it back up. Much better.

aktion035.gif

Will try it out tomorrow night. It's almost 1:30am now. I'll piss off my neighbors if I start it up now.

Also - interesting... the car came with a refurbished mps. I checked it and mine is a totally different model # than that one. I show mine ending in 003. The other ended in 022 906 051 E - now i read on the D-Jetronic parts log that the 051 E is different than my 051 (alternate # ending in 003) and is for later 70 model cars, and the 003 is for the EARLY model cars on the forums. Does this mean I cannot use the 051 E at all on mine?

corsepervita
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 19 2010, 12:25 AM) *

Glad to hear you tracked down several problems & have it running. But remember that these 914 EFI's are not the modern turn & crank & start variety, htey will start that way with some difficulty as you experienced, but it's not indicative of a problem.

If you read the owner's manual for your 914, under starting the engine (pg. 13 IIRC) - it says to depress the pedal to the floor & hold it while cranking until it starts - in any weather, hot or cold - same procedure.

I had to relearn not to floor it when I got my 85 BMW 325e! biggrin.gif

OHHH gotcha. I did not know that. Good info. I was under the understanding that the cold start supplied fuel without foot on pedal, interesting. Good info thank you.

I'm going to try and reproduce the "weird and horrible" sound tonight when I get home. There is a local car show on the 31st, I really really want to bring the 914.

One thing i've noticed... the car idles very rough and doesn't seem to go up to where it should on the idle, it also doesn't raise the rpms when it is cold.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.