Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newb Q's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cambo
So, I'm getting grinding going into 1st gear and reverse. Clutch adjustment? Is there their a write up online? Is this something a mechanical idiot can do? I searched but didn't find a write up. Thanks.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Cambo @ Jul 19 2010, 01:28 PM) *

So, I'm getting grinding going into 1st gear and reverse. Clutch adjustment? Is there their a write up online? Is this something a mechanical idiot can do? I searched but didn't find a write up. Thanks.

that is the first thing that you would look at. Try tightening it up and see what happens, remembering to leave a 1/2 inch of free play. Then from there look at a stranding clutch cable, a worn ball stud cup, a broken clutch tube, a shattered clutch disc, etc.
Cambo
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 19 2010, 01:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Cambo @ Jul 19 2010, 01:28 PM) *

that is the first thing that you would look at. Try tightening it up and see what happens, remembering to leave a 1/2 inch of free play. Then from there look at a stranding clutch cable, a worn ball stud cup, a broken clutch tube, a shattered clutch disc, etc.

Um....are you talking about tightening the clutch cable. Sorry I'm new. Tech tips 700 is coming in the mail from AA. In the mean time, I know nothing...
RJMII
This is under the car, on the passenger side just in front of the axle.

The double nut system is at the end of the clutch cable, and the lever is the clutch lever.

This is where you tighten your cable up.
bandjoey
...and be sure you're at a complete stop before shifting into 1st or R. You'll grind off $25 of teeth everytime you try to shift on the roll.
If you do a search you'll find several old posts on linkage adjustment.

here's a helpful link on common problems with our shifters:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ift_improve.htm
orthobiz

Dr EvilJul 29 2008, 04:34 PM
Within the 1st 1/4 of travel is the 1st 1/4 of travel if you take the whole of travel and divide it by 1/4ths. So, by the time you have covered 1/4 of the total travel during depressing the pedal, the clutch should be released.

Given the previous, when releasing the clutch pedal you should fell the clutch grab at about 3/4 travel on the way back up.

Play refers to neutral movement. You should be able to move the pedal up and down with no resistance (it should be loose) about 3/4 inch. The pedal will ultimately rest at the low end of this travel so you should be able to pull it back towards the aft of the car 3/4".

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.