Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: frozen engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsaum
I have a 1.8 engine that came out of a 1975 parts car. The motor must have gotten some moisture in the cylinders. I pulled the head and was able to get three of the four cylinders off but am having a heck of a time with the #2 cylinder. I have the motor turned up on its side and have tried soaking it with Marvels mystery oil for a day and have also let it sit with some gas for a day. It still won't budge! Does anyone have a good trick to free up a stuck piston?

Thanks,
Jsaum
914Sixer
PB Blaster for a couple days. Then try a little heat if necessary. If you are not saving the P&C beat on the piston top to free up the stuck rings with the end of the hammer, not the metal part.
Mark Henry
Diesel
There is a instant method... a hydraulic powerpack and a spark plug adapter.
IronHillRestorations
If you've got the engine on a stand, turn it so #2 is pointing straight up, and then soak it with PB Blaster for a day or so, and hit it with a wooden block a few times to work the solvent in the cracks.
jsaum
I'll try the PB blaster I remember seeing it at the local FLAPS.

Thanks,
Jsaum
VaccaRabite
Try a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid instead of PB. it does a much better job of freeing bound up and rusty parts. Something on the order of 200% better, if I remember the article correctly.

Zach
Drums66
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 27 2010, 11:31 AM) *

Try a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid instead of PB. it does a much better job of freeing bound up and rusty parts. Something on the order of 200% better, if I remember the article correctly.

Zach

Tranny fluid for sure!.....right on brother poke.gif popcorn[1].gif
jsaum
Acetone and tranny fluid, an interesting mixture! I've got it soaking over night I'll let you know how it works. Been banging on it with a wood block and hammer and tried a little heat yesterday.

Jsaum
VaccaRabite
Tap on it every now any again with the wood block.

The acetone will separate from the ATF over time, so it will need to be agitated every now and again.

Heat helps too. Acetone is flammable though, so be careful. Not that PB or Kroil isn't.

Zach
realred914
just watch out the application of open flame and the flammable mixtures you are using to soak. ka boom!!!!

long soak will proabbaly do it, depend on how rusty for how long, worse case, cut teh rod and toss it, at least you can save the case!
Mark Henry
You must know someone with a power pack....log splitter, tractor, car lift...a fricking grease gun might work.

Adapter can be made in minutes with an old spark plug.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.