Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HERE'S WHAT YOU MISSED!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Matt Romanowski
Remember that this is not a reproduction, it's a real GT with history. The yellow (if it's there) is probably zinc chromate primer. That car is truly perfect.

Matt
SirAndy
QUOTE(vortrex @ Apr 10 2004, 09:56 PM)

don't think so..

interestingly enough, looking through my stash of pictures, it looks like that the GT's that opted for the 100L tank don't seem to have the blacked out shock towers.
which makes sense cause they had to cut out that wall and weld in the support for the bracing.
guess they repainted that area afterwards without the black ...

idea.gif Andy
Rich Bontempi
Hey William, thanks for the GT shots , it's always nice to see special 914's. By the way, what was that , yellow globe in the sky? In your part of the frozen tundra, we know you never see the sun. LOL
thesey914
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 10 2004, 07:33 PM)
How does it shift? no shift rod that I can see.....

It doesn't need to shift...is has no drive shafts fitted yet.
A-w-e-s-o-m-e 914. Thanks for sharing the pics.
ChrisFoley
That is .. so .. like .. my dream garage! wub.gif
Thanks for sharing William.

And I nominate Sir Andy for biggest A..hole after those picky comments!
He's spent way too much time around B. laugh.gif
Bleyseng
heres another one with the big ass tank
Eddie Williams
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 10 2004, 11:29 PM)
QUOTE(vortrex @ Apr 10 2004, 09:56 PM)

don't think so..

interestingly enough, looking through my stash of pictures, it looks like that the GT's that opted for the 100L tank don't seem to have the blacked out shock towers.
which makes sense cause they had to cut out that wall and weld in the support for the bracing.
guess they repainted that area afterwards without the black ...

idea.gif Andy

And if you look real close you'll notice they didn't opt for the 100l tank, so maybe black shock towers are in order.

Just getting Andy's back!
Brad Roberts
Looks great William !!. But.. all 914's look great when going back together from a rotisserie rebuild.. laugh.gif It will be ultra dirty the first time he spins it at a vintage event... laugh.gif

I started to say: everything looked correct... but I realized who's car it was that it was an orginal GT.

The only thing that stands out that I had NO info on was the stregthened top. I have never even seen one.

B
thesey914
Geoff, Dig the avatar -I'm glad to see another a beer afectionardo.....
All we drank in Tignes..( My friend Gee is not really that ugly in real life)
jonwatts
What color blue is this? Anyone with first hand knowledge please let me know.

IPB Image

thx!
djm914-6
^ that's Mark Skala's car, I'd assume he know the color.

I totally forgot about this event has happening this weekend! I'm SO pissed that I missed it. I would love to have seen that Ferrari first hand.... no wait, I meant 914. wink.gif

That car is jut too nice. I'd be afraid to drive it. I guess there is something to be said for driving a rat.
Porsche Rescue
If that is a factory 914-6 with original color paint it is Adriatic blue, code 16. That pic doesn't do justice to the color. Saw one entered in the concours at PCA Parade in '02. It was beautiful.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 11 2004, 06:22 AM)
And I nominate Sir Andy for biggest A..hole after those picky comments!

hey, i really like that car!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eddie Williams @ Apr 11 2004, 10:15 AM)
Just getting Andy's back!

thank you Sir ... cool.gif
jonwatts
QUOTE(jim9146 @ Apr 11 2004, 04:40 PM)
If that is a factory 914-6 with original color paint it is Adriatic blue, code 16.

That would be my guess, but your right, it doesn't look quite the same as I've seen in other pictures. Could just be the overcast day.
mskala
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Apr 11 2004, 07:43 PM)
QUOTE(jim9146 @ Apr 11 2004, 04:40 PM)
If that is a factory 914-6 with original color paint it is Adriatic blue, code 16.

That would be my guess, but your right, it doesn't look quite the same as I've seen in other pictures. Could just be the overcast day.

There's a winter's worth of dust on it, it's 35 year old chippy stuff,
and also the right rear quarter panel is a bit darker because it
appears the PO fixed a dent a long time ago. But it is adriatic.
jonwatts
Please don't make excuses, for original paint I think it's beautitious.
william harris
I asked that very question of the owner - Adriatic Blue. beerchug.gif
Pics look awesome, sorry I missed it,

I'm going to look into the Rensport idea and if it works out, I'll let everyone know and see if we have interest..

-Adam
william harris
go Adam go laugh.gif
Scott Carlberg
Ok wait, I have a question, I thought ALL GT's came with Welded tops...
a couple of the pics that are labeled *GT* do NOT look like it has a welded top, or
even a top on it.

For instance, this picture here...
vortrex
I don't know, I thought only the 916's had welded on tops? here is an original GT and it looks like the top is bolted on maybe??

http://fly.hiwaay.net/~jonlowe/colli56.jpg
Scott Carlberg
Thanks Vortex, you're right, it IS the 916 and not the GT that has the welded on top.

my bad ohmy.gif
william harris
Yes you are correct about the top being bolted on. I don't have a picture of it, but in Mark's photo album there were several close up shots of the tabs coming out from the windshield frame (in front) where the top bolted on. About a few of the prior comments, the car clearly was not finished when we saw it. Yes, the drive shafts and shift rod were not installed yet. In fact Mark continued to work on the car while we were there. This car was raced at Le Mans and the Nurburing (spelling?). Mark has pictures of the factory livery was raced in 1970 and that is how he has restored the car. The car did not have the 100 litre tank, etc. All in all, quite a piece of 914 history. smilie_pokal.gif
vortrex
how did he come about this car?
ein 6er
william, thanks for the fotos!!! that thing is beUUUUtiful!!!

what is the history of this gt? did i miss it some where? what is the vin?

i'm looking forward to seeing it at rr2!!

here are some shots of the top from brumos' gt #59.
william harris
Mark purchased the car three years ago from a local porsche guy - Len Cummings - Len does business as Auto Sport Engineering. Apparantly he owned the car for sometime planning to restore it and never got around to it. So, as the saying goes, timing is everything. wink.gif
ein 6er
top front
seanery
I think I'd have a constant erection if I owned a car that ran at LeMans :dhead:
ein 6er
top back
ein 6er
ein 6er
front caliper
william harris
Yeah, it's pretty exotic stuff. But Mark couldn't be more down to earth, he told me the restored car is too clean and need to have the patina of a couple of races under its belt to look right to him. Man, I would give anything to be at Rennsport to see this car run. Some club member should film this car and post to the site.
vortrex
yes, someone definitely needs to film it! I had no idea that was a real GT, now it's even more amazing.
JmuRiz
I really like that (looks like a bolt on) cage that the car being redone has. Any info on that cage...looks like the targa area is totally free, which makes it look cool. Thanks.
TimMartin
Hey William,

what can you tell us about that backpad replacement? I've removed mine and i was going to have a custom interior/carpet place make a molded/contoured carpet replacement. That looks exactly (if not better) than what i was going to do. And is that an access panel to the crank pulley? That could be a good idea i suppose smile.gif

.tim
RAR
We had a Hudson Hornet when I was a kid.
Scott S
QUOTE(TimMartin @ Apr 13 2004, 03:50 PM)
Hey William,

what can you tell us about that backpad replacement? I've removed mine and i was going to have a custom interior/carpet place make a molded/contoured carpet replacement. That looks exactly (if not better) than what i was going to do. And is that an access panel to the crank pulley? That could be a good idea i suppose smile.gif

.tim

Tim, The GT's simply used perlon felt to replace the carpeting (except for the floors which were rubber mats). This included the firewall - just felt covered. The access panel is random - not on all GT cars.
Here is my removed backpad:
thesey914
Scott, I'm curious what you did just where the felt meets the rear glass? I reckon this will be quite hard to make good. Do you have any detailed pics?
Scott S
Hiya!
I laid down a strip of black vinyl on the bottom edge of the glass (like the stuff they use to put graphics on cars). When I glued the carpet, I actually glued the top edge to this piece of vinyl. I cut the top edge of the carpet about 1/8" of an inch below the edge of the vinyl. It adheared great compared to the glass, and looks very finished - even though technically there is an exposed edge on the perlon.

The perlon is great to work with, no freying = no binding and with heat and water you can stretch/form it around most everything. Makes sense why the factory used it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.