Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire fitment issues?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
championgt1
Strange problem. I did alot of searching and found that quite a few people are running 205/60/15 with no issues. I got my tires mounted and tonight put them on the car. They all clear the fenders with no issues. Backs have about 3/4 inch clearance and the fronts have about an inch. The problem is the drivers front seems to be hitting the shock. I can reach in and feel that the inside of the tire is very close to the shock. I can roll the car without it rubbing but when I push on the drivers side of the front bumper I can hear and feel the inside of the tire impact the shock. sad.gif I have not driven it, as I am a little scared to drive it like this.

The shocks are older Bilstiens.

Anything to look for? Tips? Solution to space the wheel and tire away from the shock? confused24.gif

I would hate to have to dismount these tires and go back to 195's.

zx-niner
What type of wheel? I run Mahles and the 190/60-15s are fine. I don't believe I have a full inch clearance to the front fender, though. It is less than I have in the back.
rick 918-S
What wheels are you running? Check your wheel bearing. Could be a wheel fitment issue with a VW wheel or something.

Photos help.
davesprinkle
I bet your alignment is off. Probably have too much negative camber.
Elliot Cannon
Sounds like you might want to try about an 8mm spacer. Move the tire out just a little. Or as much as you need for the tire not to touch the shock. I have 205's on my car and use a spacer. My back spacing might be a bit different but it could be worth a try.
championgt1
Stock bodied car. Stock 15 X 5.5 Mahles.

As far as alignment I am not sure when the car last had one. Probably should have it done.

The old tires were 195/65/15 and the car never had an issue. Let your hand off the wheel car would go straight down the road.
DanT
possibly something with that strut is bent...??

I have run 205x50x15s on many types of wheels and have never had a fitment issue up front...the problems are usually in back smile.gif

I currently have 205x50s on factory Fuchs and have ~-1.1* camber up front. No issues on the inside or outside....I even ran 205x50 V710s which are very wide on 7" rims and had no issues.

there has to be something off, something bent. confused24.gif
championgt1
Dan-the tires I have are 60 series so are a bit taller than yours. It is the top inside of the tire that is touching as far as I can tell. confused24.gif
rick 918-S
Bent spindle?
DanT
I understand....I am probably running more negative camber up front....so I don't know why it should be that close in your application...unless the alignment is way off or something is bent....
since you are running factory offset wheels that eliminates that issue.
If both sides were rubbing then it would be understandable, but just one side is strange.
championgt1
Couple pics. This is with the car on the ground.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
detoxcowboy
New Tires $$ Allighnment $

Get an allighnment, protect your new tires and your future new tires..

Not all tires (manufacture/style) fit the same even though they are same size..

I run 205/60/15 too and they are close fit all around..
underthetire
I had the same problem with my 205/16's in the front, I had late offset with a 1" spacer in the front. I took the dust covers off the struts, ground the edge where the top plate of the dustcover meets with the sheetmetal tube, and pulled the tube off the top plate. Re-installed the top plate, strut back in, and no problems in the last 10K miles. I now have 1 1/4 spacers just to match the rear. Oh, BTW mine are 16X7 wheels.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.