Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoration panels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mepstein
QUOTE(peteyd @ Feb 7 2017, 08:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 6 2017, 09:08 PM) *

QUOTE(peteyd @ Feb 6 2017, 06:44 PM) *

Ps. I know you guy always joke about bodies in white, but there may be a time that this could actually happen.
Then everyone who says they will buy one will actually have to step up. You know who you are, and I know too. I have been keeping track bye1.gif

Pete

Curious what a body in white would cost? Also curious what the legality is regarding moving your VIN over to it?
blink.gif popcorn[1].gif

I have no idea what it would cost me to put an entire body together. Perhaps 15-20K, as for the VIN, you guys would have to deal with that on your own.

What are the thoughts on putting a VIN on a brand new tub? Porsche sold entire front clips, so they had no problem with a customer doing it. It wouldn't be VIN swapping because there's only one VIN to begin with. I'm sure there could be a huge discussion about this(along with the dozen other threads already talking about the same issue).

Pete

It would be for off road use only. What we do with it is up to us. shades.gif
914werke
QUOTE(peteyd @ Feb 6 2017, 06:44 PM) *

Gentlemen, The front latch panel, I have plans for. I have a scan of the early and the late versions. There is in fact three versions, but the third version is just the later one with a different trim pattern.
Pete

Wow nice!
Im glad I bumped this thread/poll back from the dead. smile.gif
Pete can you detail or have pics of what those differences are tween the early mid & late cross walls?
For those of us that cant wait for your new parts but have to section a car & transplant
IE can I use and Late panel on a early car ect.

Thx
JoeDees
QUOTE(peteyd @ Feb 6 2017, 09:44 PM) *

Also working on the rear trailing arm mount(the piece with the three nuts that always have broken bolts in them).

This.
Mark Henry
For a body in white VIN swapping I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as it would be disclosed if one was to sell and it wasn't done on a /6.
I know some here would frown on this, but on a /4 I don't see the tub as any different than any other part on the car.
Pete could also base the tub on a 74, thus anyone who tries to make a faux /6 would have to cut and weld in early panels.

The easiest way around the legalities of a complete body in white would be to make it a knock down kit .

Pete I joke about the body in white, but I don't need one shades.gif
Actually it's not really a joke, RD already makes about half the parts for a full car.

Also Pete is not exaggerating about dies waiting to be polished, at the open house there were 12-18 dies finished and waiting to be polished. I forget the exact numbers, but IIRC it was 100 hours to hand polish 1/2 a die. The other 1/2 didn't need to be as polished, IIRC it needs about 50 hours.
These things are huge 2-3 ton blocks of steel and I think that weight is just one half of a die set.

It takes a shitload of work and investment to bring a new panel to life, I for one thank and support Pete and the whole RD crew. first.gif
Luke M
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 6 2017, 04:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Feb 6 2017, 06:03 PM) *

I have one for the wish list... Maybe Pete will make one before I end up cutting into my car.

I think RD could do that now if they jigged up and welded the panels together.

Since they already make every panel (I believe) in that part I very much doubt they will ever offer it (the long and wheel arch section) as a single piece.
Unless like I said the part was welded up.

Maybe they will one day when they start making bodies in white. biggrin.gif

Impressive collection, almost as good as RD's.

Impressive collection for sure and it's all hanging around at RD...
I've been collecting several NOS panels for my 914-6 repair.
I also have a pretty good stock of RD panels as well.
Now if I could get Pete to make that full section I'd be in better shape.

Pete which front panel are you looking to scan ?
My brother just scored a new front panel which I believe is for a 74?
I'll post a few pics once it gets here.

peteyd
I appreciate all the well wishes. Thanks for understanding that it takes time and investment to bring these parts to the market. I also want to make the best parts possible, and if that ends up taking longer, then that is what we have to do sometimes.

here is a picture showing the differences between the front latch.

Click to view attachment
peteyd
QUOTE(Luke M @ Feb 7 2017, 08:31 AM) *

I have the scans done already from an early NOS front clip and then a scan from a later version of the front latch

Pete
Shadowfax
QUOTE(cary @ Feb 6 2017, 10:23 PM) *

Keep up the GREAT work .......................

agree.gif I wouldn't have a 914 if it weren't for y'all!

Luke M
QUOTE(peteyd @ Feb 7 2017, 09:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Feb 7 2017, 08:31 AM) *

I have the scans done already from an early NOS front clip and then a scan from a later version of the front latch

Pete

Do you need a mid year to scan?
This is the one my brother just purchased.
Mark Henry
Pete that front panel I would like the L/R corners below the headlight buckets. '73-74 but for just the corners I don't think it matters.

If you made the whole section you could cut some up left, right, center and with the complete section that would be 4 parts out of one die. shades.gif
914_teener
Pete.....

Maybe this has been brought up before.

Have you considered making the shells for the heat exchangers?
Tbrown4x4
I second the HE shells. I have two rusted sets and heaters are important on a DD in Seattle! I may have to hack something together to seal them up.
peteyd
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Feb 9 2017, 03:56 AM) *

I second the HE shells. I have two rusted sets and heaters are important on a DD in Seattle! I may have to hack something together to seal them up.

The shells would be fine, but Dansk already has the tooling and stamps them. Also the problem would be for people to install them. As they are stainless steel not many people have the ability to weld them. They should also be spot welded together to limit the amount of heat loss.

Pete
N_Jay
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jul 30 2010, 11:51 AM) *

I say a whole new tub. That way I don't have to worry about rust for at least a year. biggrin.gif

A whole tub, made from modern galvanized steel, redesigned to eliminate areas where water gets trapped.
mepstein
A tub made of stainless steel. I'll get Ben to weld it up.
- a guy can dream, right?
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 22 2017, 10:57 AM) *
A tub made of stainless steel

Looks heavy ...
rolleyes.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 22 2017, 02:21 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 22 2017, 10:57 AM) *
A tub made of stainless steel

Looks heavy ...
rolleyes.gif

Also hell for body repair, dings were Delorean owners worst nightmare.
...And of course the kids will have their little fingerprints all over it. dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.