Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I want a welded steel roof
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
partwerks
QUOTE(zx-niner @ Aug 2 2010, 08:22 PM) *

As much as I would love a steel roof, at this point in my project I would settle for a bolted in fiberglass top that did not squeek or leak.

Oddly enough, this is the first 914 that I have never had a roof squeak for some reason. Owned it for a while till I realized one day, I wasn't hearing a squeak!
boxstr
This is the steel roofed custom, no squeaks on this 914-6
Craig at CAMP
boxstr

Fun stuff
r_towle
how much now?
We know what he put into it, and its really cool.
Sad, but its so customized for one persons vision, its never going to get near what he put into it....

Rich
mepstein
the long term plan is for scotty to weld a steel hardtop to my suby conversion. If he's still welding on 914's.
Mike Bellis
I want to do this too. I think I need to put my car on a Celette table first. I would hate to weld on a roof and find the tub is bent... sad.gif
effutuo101
Hi Dan! How about a picture of your ride?
I am picking up my 944 roof in two weeks. It will be a bit befor I can tackle that project, but it will eventually happen!
Hope the family is well!
boxstr
Funstuff
rgalla9146
I want this. And AC too.
Call me crazy but a quiet, cool 914 (with a 3.0 or larger) is the ultimate.
9146GUY
Here's what it looks like in white.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 24 2020, 08:09 AM) *

I want this. And AC too.
Call me crazy but a quiet, cool 914 (with a 3.0 or larger) is the ultimate.

agree.gif
ClayPerrine
I am contemplating this for my 4.0L conversion. Even with a Brad Mauyer kit, I broke the targa top latch on the left rear. The extra chassis stiffness would be great.

Maybe I can scavange some parts off the donor car used to repair Betty's car?

Johny Blackstain
I've wanted the steel roof & a converted 915 for years; already got almost everything else cool_shades.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I wanted one and got oneClick to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 24 2020, 10:48 AM) *

but I do not like it as much as this one: Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 24 2020, 12:48 PM) *

There are only so many of those to go around. sad.gif
Root_Werks
It's a big project and there is room for a lot of mistakes and "If only..." after the roof is welded on. I thought about doing it again since my 914 needs paint anyway. Would be a steel flare and steel roof project.

A lot of work and time.
CBee
I know the 944 and 924S manual sunroof cars are the preferred roof panel donors.

Does anyone have any idea if the early 1st generation 924 (pre 944) roof panel is suitable?
I may have a lead on one and need to get the Sawzall ready if it's an option.

mepstein
I think the most practical way to do a steel roof would be to find someone who has the skill to make a kit and have a group buy.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 1 2020, 02:12 PM) *

I think the most practical way to do a steel roof would be to find someone who has the skill to make a kit and have a group buy.

idea.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Jul 1 2020, 04:13 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 1 2020, 02:12 PM) *

idea.gif

Yes, I know we've talked about this and I know it's not cheap to do but a guy like you making the correct parts to make it all work gives most people a better chance of actually getting it done.
Beebo Kanelle
Steel roofs? YES ! For all the aforementioned reasons
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.