Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I want a welded steel roof
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Corkus
I had a 914 in the 70's and liked the targa top back then. But in my middle age I have a solid dislike for convertible anythings, targa tops, sunroofs, convertibles, semi-convertibles or anything but a simple steel roof.

I also like the extra chassis stiffness a welded steel top will add.

Here is a steel top but with a 924 sunroof. I don't get the sunroof but then I don't expect anyone to think a solid steel roof is a good idea either.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Anyone weld a steel top on their 914?
Root_Werks
First of all, sunroofs rock and were present on the original steel topped 914. So...

slap.gif

Secondly, I did that steel top and regret pretty much every day that I sold that 914.

New owner loves it and just won't sell it.

I have a thread on here that outlines the build. I'll see if I can find it......

welder.gif
Root_Werks
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=76305&st=0

Others have done it without a sunroof. Never seen one in person though.

Not a project for a beginner.

Parts of mine...I was lucky it turned out as good as it did.
Corkus
Root, thanks for posting the photos of your steel top. I'm pretty much using them for a blueprint of what I want.

I meant no disrespect for your 924 sunroof. It looks like a quality job. I knew few if any would agree with a solid steel top, but I did not want to insult anyone here.

Your work inspired the roof part of my project. Thanks again.

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 2 2010, 10:08 AM) *

First of all, sunroofs rock and were present on the original steel topped 914. So...

slap.gif

Secondly, I did that steel top and regret pretty much every day that I sold that 914.

New owner loves it and just won't sell it.

I have a thread on here that outlines the build. I'll see if I can find it......

welder.gif

jmill
I remember reading about that build. The top was done beautifully. Did you have it work just like the stock 924 where you could just pop it up or remove it completely? If so I don't think it gets any better.
Corkus
Wow, thanks for that thread Root!!! I saw a few photos you put in a thread when you were selling your car and loved those pictures. But this thead is great!

And I'm not at all worried about this type of project. I'm not doing the work rolleyes.gif My brother is doing the fabrication and welding. He won't leave it alone until it is done right.

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 2 2010, 10:14 AM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=76305&st=0

Others have done it without a sunroof. Never seen one in person though.

Not a project for a beginner.

Parts of mine...I was lucky it turned out as good as it did.
messix
that rootwerks guy cuts up every 914 he gets his hands on!!!! sawzall-smiley.gif screwy.gif welder.gif slap.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(jmill @ Aug 2 2010, 10:19 AM) *

I remember reading about that build. The top was done beautifully. Did you have it work just like the stock 924 where you could just pop it up or remove it completely? If so I don't think it gets any better.

Yup, worked just like a factory 924/early 944 manual sunroof. Both front and rear drain tubes were properly installed as well.

You could prop it up or just take it out and toss it in either the front or rear trunks.

I drove the 914-6 daily for months in the pouring PNW rain, never leaked, not once.

The interior of the car was SOOOOOOO much quieter than any targa topped 914. The chassis was crazy stiff.

I'd love to do another one, but holy mother of welding! It's a lot of work.

I never take offense to anything, just giving folks a hard time. It's all in fun. bye1.gif

Oh and Troy, kiss my what? bootyshake.gif laugh.gif
Corkus
QUOTE(messix @ Aug 2 2010, 10:23 AM) *

that rootwerx guy cuts up every 914 he gets his hands on!!!! sawzall-smiley.gif screwy.gif welder.gif slap.gif

Oh yeah? My bro is cutting on my 914 pretty good which is just fine with me, obviously. Can I see more 914 cutting? Root? Anyone? Please?

(So as not to offend or seem like a troll, I LOVE stock restorations, but I don't have the kind of time, patience or money needed for a stock restoration. So my car is going to have lots of cutting and lots of modern parts.)
messix
Dan has a really good way to put steel flares on too.

i give him shit because he can't let a stock 914 be stock..... he's got to throw a 6 in it and flares or a steel top on them!! happy11.gif stirthepot.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(messix @ Aug 2 2010, 01:45 PM) *

i give him shit because he can't let a stock 914 be stock..... he's got to throw a 6 in it and flares or a steel top on them!! happy11.gif stirthepot.gif

He says that he's reformed, he's not going to touch his latest 914....we're all waiting for him to fall off the wagon happy11.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 2 2010, 10:53 AM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Aug 2 2010, 01:45 PM) *

He says that he's reformed, he's not going to touch his latest 914....we're all waiting for him to fall off the wagon happy11.gif

You guys are NOT helping me here! av-943.gif

There's like 5-6 944's sitting in a local bone yard about 15 minutes from my house.

Must...........not...........tempt.............me.......... sawzall-smiley.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Corkus @ Aug 2 2010, 10:04 AM) *
Anyone weld a steel top on their 914?

Yes.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=104406

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=66687

bye1.gif Andy
Eric_Shea
sunroofs rock and were present on the original steel topped 914

huh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 2 2010, 12:34 PM) *
sunroofs rock and were present on the original steel topped 914

huh.gif

914.006 - One of two factory 914-8 prototypes has a steel roof with sun-roof ...

shades.gif Andy

IPB Image
carr914
The sunroof was one of the best things about the Rootster. I could just tilt the roof open and the airflow was great. If I took the roof out, it was just like having the Targa top off, but with more chassis stiffness

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
One of two factory 914-8 prototypes has a steel roof with sun-roof ...

I see... I was stuck in 916land. I agree with Cory, sunroofs are fur gurls! hide.gif biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif huh.gif
Root_Werks
w00t.gif

No way! Only manly men can handle a sunroof!

av-943.gif

Can someone photoshop this picture white for me? Wanna see what a flared, white, steel top 914 would look like. rolleyes.gif
messix
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 2 2010, 02:21 PM) *

w00t.gif

No way! Only manly men can handle a sunroof!

av-943.gif

Can someone photoshop this picture white for me? Wanna see what a flared, white, steel top 914 would look like. rolleyes.gif

slap.gif
SirAndy
Can someone photoshop this picture white for me?

Quick and dirty ... White is hard to do ...

type.gif Andy

Root_Werks
OOoooo, that's interesting..... idea.gif
PeeGreen 914
chair.gif Stop it Dan. poke.gif
1968Cayman
As Antoine Dodson would say, "Hide yo' 944s! Hide yo' 914's! They's chopping on errybody out here!"

You guys aren't getting near my car. It's going through enough trauma in my hands . . .
GeorgeRud
I talked to George Hussey a few years back about welding a solid top on the 914 ala 916, and he had some fellows (in England I think) that could do it. It was an awful lot of work (translate $$$$$$), so unless one has the skills to do it themselves, it's probably not really feasable for most of us.

The car does look awful nice with that sunroof however. As I get older, I also like the idea of AC and other comforts more and more.
EdwardBlume
I'm liking the idea of a steel flare, steel roof, ala 914-8 cruiser.... cheer.gif
zx-niner
As much as I would love a steel roof, at this point in my project I would settle for a bolted in fiberglass top that did not squeek or leak.
championgt1
I saw a black 914 in Portland a couple weeks ago that had a steel roof with no sunroof and it looked amazing. I was a very nicely done car.
sixnotfour
jack , could it have been this one ?
http://www.aandmdeluxecustoms.com/gallery/...ls.php?album=58
championgt1
Jeff-that looks like the one. It was also chopped. Wish I would have had my camera with me.

Click to view attachment
roadster fan
this page has some pics on the second page of a nice steel roof I think built at AA a steel roof threada

I'm gonna do one like Dan's using an early 944 roof.......god help me! When I asked him at WCR2008 how many hours he had into his he replied............. av-943.gif

That being said, I heard most people say they were never fans of the idea until they saw his car. I think many would seriously consider it if they were better fabricators or had deep pockets.

Jim
Bleyseng
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 2 2010, 06:44 PM) *

Can someone photoshop this picture white for me?

Quick and dirty ... White is hard to do ...

type.gif Andy

Oh, thats the guy who bought it....nice car and you should do another one Dan.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Aug 2 2010, 09:52 PM) *

Jeff-that looks like the one. It was also chopped. Wish I would have had my camera with me.

Click to view attachment

This was another one of my old 914-6's that CAMP914 bought back in.....2004 I think? It was the black with red interior 914-6. Guy bought it, stripped it, chopped the top, steel roof etc. It turned out really nice!

Not an original six, it was a 1974 year I believe.

Jeff, that was the old "Duffster" mobile. smile.gif
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(1968Cayman @ Aug 2 2010, 11:14 PM) *

As Antoine Dodson would say, "Hide yo' 944s! Hide yo' 914's! They's chopping on errybody out here!"

You guys aren't getting near my car. It's going through enough trauma in my hands . . .

Ha o lord... Am I the only one who got this reference? rolleyes.gif I concur; hide your Porsches! sawzall-smiley.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Nürburg Nomad @ Aug 3 2010, 09:34 AM) *

QUOTE(1968Cayman @ Aug 2 2010, 11:14 PM) *

Ha o lord... Am I the only one who got this reference? rolleyes.gif I concur; hide your Porsches! sawzall-smiley.gif

No, but maybe the rest of us don't want to admit it poke.gif
Silverstreak
Thanks for posting this. I was just about to ask about welding in a steel roof. I'm a coupe guy at heart.
scotty b
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Aug 2 2010, 08:52 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Anyone have pics of this car finished ?? I have thought long and hard about mildly chopping mine whenever I get around to it, and the steel roof has been a done deal for a while. This car seems like it was done the way I plan on doing mine. smile.gif ......someday sad.gif
championgt1
Scotty... I saw this car at the vintage races in Portland OR. a couple weeks ago. I wish I would have had my camera. The car was quite stunning in person. Everytime I walked past it there was a group of people drooling on it.
Eric_Shea
Just thinking without measuring but...

Seems to me a rear deck lid could be fab'd to get a good head-start on a steel roof.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 3 2010, 11:57 AM) *

QUOTE(championgt1 @ Aug 2 2010, 09:52 PM) *

Click to view attachment

This was another one of my old 914-6's that CAMP914 bought back in.....2004 I think? It was the black with red interior 914-6. Guy bought it, stripped it, chopped the top, steel roof etc. It turned out really nice!

Not an original six, it was a 1974 year I believe.

Jeff, that was the old "Duffster" mobile. smile.gif

You mean the Black car with the red interior Craig showed up at WCC05 with? God, that red interior was ugly....
I would love to have a steel roof 914/6 with AC in Suriname... damn, they just finished a stretch of road that is about 60 miles long with new asphalt where all the hot cars do to speed up to 150mph passing each other. No Cops, so its go as fast as you want just try not to hit some old guy riding his old bike. A stock roofed 914 with that black top would be too damn hot and some thief would try to pry the roof off with a crowbar to steal your change in the ashtray.
Well, maybe thats my future project here in a few years....
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 3 2010, 09:15 PM) *

Just thinking without measuring but...

Seems to me a rear deck lid could be fab'd to get a good head-start on a steel roof.

Something about the rear deck wasn't right. I can't recall what it was....maybe the arc? If you have a spare deck, just set it up there and you'll see why it doesn't really work well.

Yup, that chopped, steel topped 914 was the black/red 914-6 Craig drove.

I snagged it from a local guy years back, then Craig snagged it from me. Now it's pretty custom.

I'd love to see some pictures of it myself.
Root_Werks
Here is a picture pre steel roof:
realred914
hows about adding steel stifeners under teh stock targa top? then you got he stiffness, plus the removable targa top only obstructed by some bracing? maybe a couple lentghs of 1 inch tubing form the two front to two rear conrers? maybe with some diaginals?
realred914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 2 2010, 08:29 PM) *

The car does look awful nice with that sunroof however. As I get older, I also like the idea of AC and other comforts more and more.

some more old guy car stuff:

I be neeidng an assist lift driver seat to help get me in and out, stoping donw is harder and harder.

the 914 eeds that gerital bottle holder, they never came with them.

of course a seat mounted relief tube is a must, that will save on frequent stops.

the windshield I am thinking of taking to a glass grinder and have it converted to a Bi-focal windshiled, to help me see things both near and far even when I forget my glasses.

not to forget forgeting, there needs to be a white board and felt pen to make notes of all the things i am likely to forget.

The automatic heart defibiulator mounted in teh steering colum is also needed, just lean forward till your chest touches the steering wheel,at teh first sign of a heart attack, Press the red heart attack button, and zap, your as good as new, a jump start to teh heart.

let us not forget the old mans baseball hat collection shelf below the rear window. need room for a bout twenty hats or so.

Curb fellers, cant park with out
Bleyseng
QUOTE(realred914 @ Aug 4 2010, 01:48 PM) *

hows about adding steel stifeners under teh stock targa top? then you got he stiffness, plus the removable targa top only obstructed by some bracing? maybe a couple lentghs of 1 inch tubing form the two front to two rear conrers? maybe with some diaginals?

Put in a cage if you want to stiffen it. The beauty of the steel roof its then a true coupe, quieter, stiffer etc plus the sunroof gives you about the same feel as the stupid targa top when its off. With the top off a 914 still doesn't have the feel of a convertible.
They should've gone ahead with the 916 project with removable sunroofs, 2.4L sixes and flares. A 2.0L six was just too gutless and stark.
Eric_Shea

I'm going to re-create the brace that was originally in Steve's car...

Click to view attachment
carr914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 5 2010, 11:12 AM) *

I'm going to re-create the brace that was originally in Steve's car...

Click to view attachment

E, Make 2 and let me know.

T.C.
Eric_Shea
Maybe I should make 3 and let Steve know as well. That one seems to be MIA and I think it would be nice to have for his car.

I'll keep you posted.
charliew
I would also like to see some detailed pictures of the chopped 924/944 top. I have a fiero parts car but the top is fg with a steel structure and the gm glass removable insert. How hard is it to get new weatherstripping for the 924?

I kinda wonder if porsche didn't get the starting pieces from a t3 or something that already had the drip rails and all.
carr914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 5 2010, 12:07 PM) *

Maybe I should make 3 and let Steve know as well. That one seems to be MIA and I think it would be nice to have for his car.

I'll keep you posted.

Steve doesn't want one. He took off a bunch of stuff of the M471 ( Prototipo, Recaro seats, rear lense) to return the car to the way it would have left the Factory. I thought I had a line on the brace once, but it was fleeting
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.