Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My oil cooler project moves forward
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
qa1142
shades.gif

SETRAB OIL COOLER AN-8 FITTINGS PART #50-640-7612

Came out of ARCA car as rear end cooler

Talked to the shop guys, no sales out of wrecks or blown units.

brant
Since you obviously have been doing a lot of pre-purchase research...
can I pick your brain?

I need to slightly drop some oil temps (summer)
I've never done the rear cooler before

I'm also a bit broke this year
so I'm trying to be a bit thrifty and find something adequate (probably with a seperate fan added?) but not expensive

in your research, have you found any good deals out there?

thanks for your time and tips
was the rousche unit from ebay?

brant (just decided to see if this is in my budget yesterday)
qa1142
I got this off ebay, went with high quality unit for cheap (paid under $90 for $340 unit) figure if I need to add fan later I will but should offer enough BTU just by surface area.

this oil cooler thread has much of the "stuff" in it http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=108328

I wanted both - good quality and cheap so went ebay and shopped a while for right one. I bought rest of hoses sandwich adapter new from jegs.

Good luck
realred914
try an empi cooler. I got one, $170 for a 96 plate, with nine inch fan. all new. Tradisrad has a simular cooler in his 914 but 72 plate, and a six inch fan (his was not empi, but the cooler is from the same canadian company.

On his 914 it is mounted up above the transaxle. he finds that the fan is really needed to achieve full cooling as there is not enough air flow otherwise. I belive he could get as much as near 30-40F drop in oil temps (to about 180F) but only with the fan on.

We have seen installs where no fan was used, and ducts were added instead to scoop up air from undere the car. I am not sure how well these worked verses a fan, however with a scoop, road debries (trash, rocks, leafs) may hit/clog the cooler. I think for the under rear trunk install a fan is really helpful, and allows for a compact more protected installation.

word on used coolers. trasisrad bought a used cooler from a person that told him it came out of a still running car. good price, BUT, after three or four cycles of washing it out with paint thinnner, metal chunks were stilll coming out!!!! he decided to buy a new one instead.
Unless you have some specialized equipment, it is near impossible to get all debries out of a contaminated cooler. you may get lucky, you may not get lucky with an used one.

which ever you choose, I think a fan is needed for optimal cooling. when we have 220F oil, the cooler alone did not do the trick, but when the fan kicked in, things cooled down nice like

good luck
brant
real red 914,

what are the inlet-outlet fitting sizes on your empi?
also, did you go with cloth line, and do you know of a good (economical) source?

brant
realred914
smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif mine is 3/4 male NPT (pipe thread) use an10 fittings for the sleek install, or you can go with the more economical barbed fitings and hose clamps. The hose for an is offered by many companies, call up any local streetrod,. or custom car place/ fabricator/store adn they shoudl have one brand or another of an fittings and hoses for you to buy, let yoru fingers do the walking for price. one option is stainless steel braid, BUT it will act as a hack saw blade if it rubs on anything with vibration, so you got to hang it / sperate it correctly to prevent it sawing thru other stuff, one great option is the nylon braided. you want a thermostat, pick the one in the sandwich adaptor rather than a seperate unit, the main reson is cost, if you use a sperate unit, you will need to double the number of fittings you have and that cost money.

local vendor to me sells Fragola brand an fittings, so that is what i use. look them up on teh web, there are many other makers also, jegs and summit carry there brands also, they will send yo a free catolog also

good lucks!!!!!!!! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.