Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I use 911 keys in a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mharmon
Getting ready to start my 3.6L conversion project. I'm starting with a '71 914/4 but have already 914/6 dash frame that I will be using. Definetly going to have the ignition switch on the dash instead of the steering column and picked up a nice early 911 switch w/ Porsche key for that purpose.

My question is - is it possible to have the door/truck locks modified to accepts the early (small style) 911 key, or do I have to accept the fact that I will need to use 2 keys for the car?

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Mike
Eric_Shea
Certain years... yup.
mharmon
Thanks Eric - as usual you are a fantastic source of info.

Have a good one.

Mike
Eric_Shea
Happy to help. I got these for both my 71, 911 and my 74 914.

You may have trouble with the shorty. I'd recommend keeping all the 914 stuff and looking for a 70-?? 911 or a 914-6 tumbler. Then you keep all of the keys the same.
smontanaro
Sorry, but my eyes aren't what they used to be. What's "shorty" about one or the other of those two keys?
Eric_Shea
Nothing.

From the original post...

My question is - is it possible to have the door/truck locks modified to accepts the early (small style) 911 key
SirAndy
QUOTE(mharmon @ Aug 5 2010, 09:15 AM) *
Definetly going to have the ignition switch on the dash instead of the steering column and picked up a nice early 911 switch w/ Porsche key for that purpose.

I re-keyed the 911 ignition switch on mine to accept my 914 key ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=82045

shades.gif Andy
Eric_Shea
I re-keyed the 911 ignition switch on mine to accept my 914 key ...

Sounds like his is a very early 911 switch. Those keys are quite a bit different. Like this:

IPB Image

Get out the reading glasses Skip. That's a shorty. wink.gif
markb
Never mind, I just re-read & realized you mean the real early 911 key. I don't think you can make it work in 914 locks.
Eric_Shea
1970 through 1980 are all the same (at least on my cars).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.