Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight switch failure/repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bluhun
My original headlight switch began malfunctioning when the beams failed to come on when the headlights popped up, unless the switch was pushed forward a hair.

The switch was replaced with a used one, which operated for a year or so when it began to malfunction in the same manner.

The switch was opened and the worn contacts were resoldered, which cured the problem for a few months before the switch started failing again.

The new switches are no longer available, as far as I can tell, not even from Automobile Atlanta.

Does anyone have a permanent fix for this problem?
ripper911
Buy a lot of used ones, you'll need them. head_hurts_kr.gif
bandjoey
I'll look for a link later but I've seen an old post of modifying a vw switch that's available and cheap.
Mike Bellis
If you keep burning out switches, install relays to carry the load instead of the switch. Use the switch to activate the relay.
Lennies914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 5 2010, 09:26 PM) *

If you keep burning out switches, install relays to carry the load instead of the switch. Use the switch to activate the relay.

agree.gif Sounds like the proper fix to me.
realred914
yes, realys!!!! that will give you brighter lights and save the switches life. when you run a relay, teh switch will last much much longer. besure to sue contact lube when you rebuild your switch. but for sure, add a set of relays to reduce the load on the switch. you will really like the brighter lights a hole lot!!!! honest!!!!

have fun
bluhun
QUOTE(realred914 @ Aug 6 2010, 08:14 AM) *

yes, realys!!!! that will give you brighter lights and save the switches life. when you run a relay, teh switch will last much much longer. besure to sue contact lube when you rebuild your switch. but for sure, add a set of relays to reduce the load on the switch. you will really like the brighter lights a hole lot!!!! honest!!!!

have fun

Thanks guys, I'll do that !
914Sixer
Switches do not burn up unless they are being overloaded. Are you burning up fuses? The lights all have fuses on the fuse panel.
bandjoey
My switch didn't burn up, and doing a light switch search, found a lot of switches just break up inside. The detent springs on mine broke, and the crud caused the insides to slowly grind away until it was no good. Turn it upside down, and look at the chunks of bakelite and springs fall out.
bandjoey
Here's the only link I could find on a vw replacement part. Not a lot of description but tells us what needs to be done. A good electrical mechanic should set up an adaptor from the old wires to the new plug . With the cheaper part, it'd probably sell.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=45370&st=0
Marlow
This might help for the VW switches. Output diagrams of a bunch of different VW headlight switches.

http://www.oldvolkshome.com/headlight_switch_OVH.pdf
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.