Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ghost wipe
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
For the ghost wipe on the wipers I first cleaned the grounds, but that didn't help and tried another relay with no success.
It may go several minutes when in the off position and out of the blue the intermittent wipers/3rd speed, will come to life for some strange reason. I wonder what's up with that??
jsaum
QUOTE(partwerks @ Aug 7 2010, 08:45 PM) *

For the ghost wipe on the wipers I first cleaned the grounds, but that didn't help and tried another relay with no success.
It may go several minutes when in the off position and out of the blue the intermittent wipers/3rd speed, will come to life for some strange reason. I wonder what's up with that??

I'm not an electrical expert but if the wipers are coming on with the switch in the off position intermittently then I would think the positive circuit is seeing a ground/ negative that is completing the circuit to cause the wipers to actuate.

Jsaum
SirAndy
QUOTE(partwerks @ Aug 7 2010, 08:45 PM) *

I had the same issue with my intermittent wipers. I removed the intermittent relay and all is good now.

shades.gif Andy
914Sixer
Check to make sure the screws in the steering column that holds the TS and wiper switch are tight.
detoxcowboy
Just to clarify "off" is the second to last stop pulling down on the switch.. the last stop are the delay "ghost" position

That being the case, with delays working in that postion for "several Minutes" then I assume they stop? and occasionally out of the blue for no reason your high speed (3rd up) come on? I would check the brown wire in the switch and the switch contacts.. brown is ground and the switch is ground operated. no of those being loose or broken contacts.. then more than likely your relay is tired and failing..

This only assumes they used to work properly and have not recently been re-wired or pump installed with related wiring ect./.

Probably the easiest is just try another relay.. if that solves it you do not havbe to dig your switch out for nothing..
jim_hoyland
I get mystery wipes too, after pulling the intermittant and reinstalling, the ghost wipes dissappear.
76-914
IIRC, mine was that same brown wire (maybe w/ a white stripe) but it was the spade that was pushing out of the socket where the intermitant relay plugged in.
underthetire
Since i only have normal wipers, not 3 speed, I may be talking out my tailpipe, but how about the zero or rest position switch inside the wiper assembly? Could it be loosing that cycling one more time ?
partwerks
QUOTE(underthetire @ Aug 8 2010, 10:53 AM) *

Since i only have normal wipers, not 3 speed, I may be talking out my tailpipe, but how about the zero or rest position switch inside the wiper assembly? Could it be loosing that cycling one more time ?

It works fine in speed 1 and 2 and intermittent. It only has the intermittent ghost wipe when it is in the off position which is 1 up from all the way down.

Is the switch you're talking about, inside the motor?

Also, the other idea, is there maybe a spade that is pushing out of the bottom where the relay pushes in? Is that what you are saying?

I tried another used relay and same problem. Unless it is shot also, but not too likely.

Also, I don't recall on how to get the ends of the wires out of where they clip in at. I thought they had a barb on them and you just pushed something like a screwdriver in and they would just pull back out so I could clean up the grounds where the realy plugs in and start theyre to see if that helps any.

Another enthusiast thought it could be the stalk control in the steering wheel hub that could be cracked.

I have no idea what that part even looks like. Anybody have a picture of it??
SirAndy
QUOTE(partwerks @ Aug 8 2010, 03:55 PM) *
It only has the intermittent ghost wipe when it is in the off position which is 1 up from all the way down.

Like i said, same happened to me. Since i don't drive in the rain, i just took out the intermittent relay. (still have the normal wipers function)

It's definitively related to the intermittent circuit.
shades.gif Andy
realred914
whitch cars came with intermittant wipers? none of mine has them. is this aftermarket?
SirAndy
QUOTE(realred914 @ Aug 9 2010, 07:32 AM) *
whitch cars came with intermittant wipers? none of mine has them. is this aftermarket?

Factory option. Came with it's own wiring harness, relay socket and relay.

There's a thread somewhere, i believe in the "Originality and History" forum.
shades.gif Andy
914Sixer
Did you check the screws in the steering column as I said in the PM?
partwerks
Not sure how far I'll get, as I don't have the 27 MM socket to fit, unless a less than desireable crescent wrench would work/fit in the opening?

914Sixer
Crescent not likely to work unless wheel has been off before. Try some late SAE sockets if you have them.
Sleepin
Sooo.....after sitting here looking at the title of this thread for a week, I have to wondering...wouldn't it streak his sheet?

lol-2.gif
76-914
This might be reaching but those wires pass under and around the plenum or air distribution box. As you can see there is virtually no room there and there are a few cables routed under there, also. There could be a bare spot and you wouldn't see it. IIRC there was a ground on the motor body that I wasn't impressed with so I jumpered that to a chassis ground. Check that connection, too.
partwerks
After getting the wheel off, I soon discovered that all 4 screws were totally loose.

After getting it all put back together, so far, so good, no ghost wipe, so apparently that was the whole problem with the intermittent.

Thanks for the tip!
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(partwerks @ Aug 14 2010, 06:30 PM) *

After getting the wheel off, I soon discovered that all 4 screws were totally loose.

After getting it all put back together, so far, so good, no ghost wipe, so apparently that was the whole problem with the intermittent.

Thanks for the tip!

Yup ! Two of mine were loose too, retightened them with locktite and haven't had a ghost wipe yet smile.gif

Thanks for digging into this, it's been a running topic for a long time
Bartlett 914
There is a ground screw on the switch. It is grounded using the mounting screws instead of a pin in the connector. Just the same, it part of the circuit. When in the off mode, this is connected to the Brown / Black wire and holds that wire at ground. In the intermittent mode this connection is open! This allows the brown / black wire to float. When open you will have intermittent wipers (if the relay is installed).

I did some testing with intermittent wipers on the bench and this gave me some grief. To make matters worse, I was using a steering column from a project car. This column has the 4 bosses where the switched are screwed in place. On this column, the boss that provides the ground connection is lower than the other 3. I would never get a the wipers to turn off. They were stuck in intermittent mode even with the screws tight. When I get around to using this column, I will need to add some washers under that screw to make the connection.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.