Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor Won't Turn Over Fast Enough
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
adambo
Hey I just did a full rebuild and now when trying to start it up, with a fresh battery, it turns over but super slow. Jumping doesn't help. Could it be a problem with the motor itself? Or starter?
-Adam
Kirmizi
How are your grounds? Especially the one between the transmission and body?
Mike
realred914
QUOTE(adambo @ Aug 11 2010, 11:14 AM) *

Hey I just did a full rebuild and now when trying to start it up, with a fresh battery, it turns over but super slow. Jumping doesn't help. Could it be a problem with the motor itself? Or starter?
-Adam

well you could confirm what voltage y9u have at the starter when you crank. confirm you have the ground strap re-attached on the tranny to body for sure. check any other connections you might have moved also.

the motor might be super tight, try cranking with the sparkplugs removed, does it get better? if not, then suspect the probelm is more likely the starter/starter power than a tight motor.

goodluck
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Yup transmission rear ground strap to body is not connected!!!!

QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Aug 11 2010, 11:16 AM) *

How are your grounds? Especially the one between the transmission and body?
Mike

RonnieJ
I just went through the same thing when I changed my clutch. I reconncted the grounding strap but evidently didn't have a good ground. I disconnected the strap and took my dremmel tool and cleaned everything up reconnected the strap and it started like a champ.
adambo
I cleaned up my grounds and I'm getting a little over 12 volts at the starter. I pulled the plugs and it turns over faster but not nearly fast enough. Also with the plugs out and tranny in gear I can't push the car, even with two guys.
Thanks again
-Adam
Tom
If jumping , a good battery, grounds rechecked, and still doesn't help cranking speed, you must have a problem with some of the turning gear. by that I mean clutch, pressure plate, trans, fan on the front on with too long of a bolt, something that would cause the flywheel to turn slowly. You probably should start checking clearances now before you damage something.
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.