Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: luck favors the foolish
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Ya know someone was definately looking out for me in the marathon drive to bring my 70 1.7L home.

As I mentioned in an earlier post thought I had an exhaust leak or burnt valve. Better yet the head was lifting off the cylinders. doesn't look like any damage to the metal just lots of black exhaust tracks around the head sealing surface.

Then there is the fugly dirt and hair ball looking stuff laying on top of the cylinder fins. plus the usual leaves and oily dirt ball crap.

It is amazing the car ran all that way as hard as I was pushing it and still made it home. THIS IS WHY A CYLINDER HEAD TEMP GAUGE IS AN ABSOLUTE REQUIREMENT.

Ran synthetic oil and barely put in a half a quart to keep it at the full line. Not bad for 3399 miles of high speed beating.

Oh the clutch is toast too. good thing I was talked in to opening up that spare motor. the clutch plate is an F&S sachs looks like a high performance piece. Turned the pressure plate and flywheel a nice brownish blue color.

Gee ya think the P.O. raced this car????? rolleyes.gif

Am I sorry I bought this car??? Absolutely frigging not. I am just going to fine tune what he started. and race it somemore boldblue.gif aktion035.gif

Got pics of what I found will post later. Got to get a digital camera. givemebeer.gif sure am glad I marked everything. Lots of crap on these FI cars.
ablose58
smilie_pokal.gif Joe, luck was definitely on your side!Sounds like your work is cut out for you. beer.gif Good luck joe! AL
Bleyseng
God, as soon as I get the djet tuned for you, you take it all apart!!!

Sounds like you were lucky, Joe. Its a good car.

geoff
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 12 2004, 06:47 PM)
sure am glad I marked everything. Lots of crap on these FI cars.

I know from where you speak buddy beer.gif I just took out the 1.7 & put in a 2.0. All the stuff I took off that's gotta be put back on is amazing. I din't mark anything & sure hope I can put the puzzle back together cuz all the kings horses & all the Kings men left to have a Fat Tire! drunk.gif

........b
Joe Ricard
Don't worry Geoff. clean up today and start putting back together tomorrow.

Good time to scrap the crud from the engine compartment. Hey need to replace al them fuel lines anyway. Don't know why I am gun shy of gas leaks. sad.gif
Rocky
You is one lucky bastard to be able to make that trip and now have the opportunity to bond, up close and personal, with your new friend. Pretty soon she will be brand new. boldblue.gif Remember Joe its all fun and games until someone wakes up with a condom in their butt. bootyshake.gif ie: it could be worse.

Tim
Joe Ricard
Ya I suppose you could wake up no condom and still have a sore butt. smlove2.gif

Just did a phone interview for a new job. I believe it went very well, Should know something in a few days. Salaried position as Project Coordinator for the new DD(X) ship we are going to build. So 50 hours a week is the norm But I work fast and don't piss away time seating at the coffee pot.

Speaking of that I should be turning wrenches or cleaning something. Later Ya'll.

"duct tape not just for emergencies"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.