Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.4T engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Niklas
Hello!

Is a 911 engine 2.4 T a good engine to use in a 914 ?
What do I have to change to use it ?
The engine is complete from the 911 with all the parts.

My car is a -72 1.7.

Greetings from Sweden on the lefthanders day.

Niklas
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Niklas @ Aug 13 2010, 09:23 AM) *

Hello!

Is a 911 engine 2.4 T a good engine to use in a 914 ?
What do I have to change to use it ?
The engine is complete from the 911 with all the parts.

My car is a -72 1.7.

In stock form, probably not.
For the possibly less money that you will spend sourcing the parts to install the 6 engine, you could build a 2056 T4 out of your existing 1.7, and that will rival the power you will get from the heavier 6.

The 2.4 T only produced 130hp stock new. If it needs to be rebuilt, you are going to spend a lot of money building it.

BUT, if you rebuilt the engine to E specs you will have a 165HP motor. And if you built it to S spec (and why not, if you are building it anyway) you will have a 190 hp plant. And that will be worth doing. Of course, building it to E or S spec will cost a lot, unless you can find the parts cheaper then we can here in the States.

This lefty says HI on left-handers day!

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 13 2010, 07:32 AM) *
In stock form, probably not.

I dis-agree ... biggrin.gif

If the 2.4L is in good running condition it will certainly be more fun in a 914 than the stock 1.7L ...

shades.gif Andy
proto31
I agree with Andy, I had an original 6 with a 2.0 and it was a blast to drive, 130 HP is nearly double what you currently have, plus the added torque. If you're looking for raw power than you need to look for a 3.2 or 3.6. Building a 2056 will cost more than rebuilding the 2.4 (assuming it even needs a rebuild) even to "E" (add $500 for E pistons and $300 for cam regrind). Just my $.02.

Dan
brant
QUOTE(proto31 @ Aug 13 2010, 11:26 AM) *

I agree with Andy, I had an original 6 with a 2.0 and it was a blast to drive, 130 HP is nearly double what you currently have, plus the added torque. If you're looking for raw power than you need to look for a 3.2 or 3.6. Building a 2056 will cost more than rebuilding the 2.4 (assuming it even needs a rebuild) even to "E" (add $500 for E pistons and $300 for cam regrind). Just my $.02.

Dan

Dan, I disagree on the comment about building a 2056 costing more
if you take a -6 to a higher spec, you probably need to replace the cylinders too. And a set of pistons new is going to be over 1K, not 500. Plus a true E or S spec is going to need port work, heads (installing bigger valve seats is about a
$1200 job and makes finding better heads the preferred choice), not to mention the case limitations of an early case (early aluminum cases are going for $2000 these days). Rebuilding more parts on a motor with more cylinders, usually costs more than a motor with less cylinders

the -6 is going to cost more to rebuild in my book
and I think that an important part of the answer for the original poster to know is that converting a -4 chassis to use a -6 motor is expensive.
(where as the 2056 does not have the conversion costs associated with the chassis)

granted the -6 will be an awesome car but it won't be "cheaper"
you can factor a rebuild a 100 different ways, but here is my rough way:

914/4 starting chassis +with rebuilt 2056 + front cooler= $8K

914/4 starting chassis +rebuilt 2.4S spec motor + front cooler likely at over 150hp + full -6 conversion bits = $14K

finding a used -4 motor would be apples to apples. Most people would put the cost of converting the chassis somewhere around 5K.
Bleyseng
if the 2.4T runs ok, stick it in and convert it over to a six for around $5k US. Thats with no heat!

It will be about what a stock 914/6 was powerwise with the 4 gears...
if you want heat and a easier install build a 2056 with carbs for 130hp..and I don't think it will cost you $5k US to do either.
Drums66
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 13 2010, 11:24 AM) *

if you want heat and a easier install build a 2056 with carbs for 130hp..and I don't think it will cost you $5k US to do either.

That's what I'd do but............please keep the fuel injection(2056)
and I would be very content biggrin.gif idea.gif poke.gif stirthepot.gif
mskala
Just a few nits ...

The 2.4T made 140hp, compared to 110 for 2.0T. Also there were 2
different types, the late one had CIS (still the same power). The
original poster doesn't say anything about rebuilding, and you
certainly will not need a front cooler. So that removes quite a bit of
expense.
VaccaRabite
Given that the OP is living in Sweden, he probably has the European version of the 2,4T which only devloped 130hp. Which is why I suggested building the 2056 which can develop the same power. I built mine 2056 for about $4k USD.

Even If the 2,4 needs no work the parts for conversion could easily cost that much, and you run the risk of installing a motor that may be at the end of it's useful life instead of a fresh build. I totally agree that either motor would be a huge improvement over the 1,7 he has now. But I have been burned with old engines, so I just don't trust them. Until I have had a chance to go over them, which adds cost. What price is piece of mind?

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.