Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: targa new foundland
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Just came across an article about this race/event, it looks really cool, they have a web site, targanewfoundland.com, it seems there are two classes, one for racing and one that is called touring, which is like a time trial event, anyone ever see it or drive in it?

sounds like it'd be a hell of a lot of fun..basically for touring all you need to do is show up with your stock car, a naviagator and...3,500.00 canadian$$,

the only down side sounds like the $$-maybe find a sponsor? anyway it sounds like fun...
Mark Henry
It's Newfoundland

Targa Manatoulin would be closer to most in the USA and cheaper. It's put on by the local PCA.

http://www.pcaucr.org/pcaucr/site/page.jsp...TargaManatoulin

Targa Newfoundland would be cooler but $$$$$$$
davep
Friends of mine competed last year.

http://www.mantisracing.com/index2.htm
The yellow RUF GT3R on the main page is a local guy here. He had a great time and there are so many different types of cars that it really is a unique event. The roads left quite a bit to be desired apparantly....
davep
QUOTE(1973914 @ Apr 13 2004, 08:31 AM)
The roads left quite a bit to be desired apparantly....

I saw an 18 wheeler at the bottom of a pothole in Buffalo, NY not long ago.
nebreitling
no way -- looks cold.
Mark Henry
The worst roads I have seen in my life were in Detroit.
GaroldShaffer
agree.gif

That is one of the reasons when we go to Canada we go through Port Huron. Better roads and less traffic and about the same distance from our house.

- Garold
Not disparaging Canadian roads mind you... Have been north of the border many times and really love visiting there! Comment was based on the fact that he broke the front A arm on the car due to some of the road conditions!
vortrex
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 13 2004, 09:05 AM)

philly is much worse! I lived in detroit area for 25 years and philly amazes me daily.
Randal
Speedvision had great coverage of the last two years anyway. Wonder how you find old Speedvision re-runs?
I think this thing looks like tons of fun, the only problem is where to get the $$$, I just looked over the entrys from the last few years, no 914's...maybe we'd change that?
Mark Henry
I think one 914 did it... see this thread from about a year ago.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...ga+newfoundland

Hmmm...his link seems to be dead. Maybe he didn't.
Downunderman
A friend investigated doing it but the cost of shipping was bizarre - US$12,000 to ship 3 cars there and back. Plus entry fees air fares etc. A few people from down here have done it. Maybe next year, but in the meantime Targa Tas is 2 weeks away. On the boat out of Sydney harbour 1500 on the 23rd to Tassie.
mike_the_man
There was an article in Excellence a while back about the Targa Newfoundland. The author said that it was the best rally he had ever been in. It sounds like a tonne of fun to me, and I hope to give it a try in the next few years. If you can arrange the funding, I say go for it!
Downunderman
And they were in the touring section ie TSD, the competition division is where its at if anyone does it.
I was extremely impressed with the roll cage specification sections in the rules. An excellent blueprint for the dynamics of a cage and what is the ideal. Wish I had seen it before my cage went in (just as a reference - im pretty damn happy with it).
I think I'll try to contact some of the people who ran in the touring event over the last few years to get a feel for what it is really like, ie- road conditions, frequent problems..If I could find 25 people to donate 100.00 US...and then convince the wife... we'll see.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.