Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct Parts paint color and type
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
RFoulds
Does anyone have a source for the correct parts paint to use on fuel tank, steering rack access panel, etc.?

I have seen some cars with fuel tanks refinished in a gloss black, but it seems the corrrect finish is less shiny. Not quite a flat black though.

Is this "VW Black"? and where is a good place to purchase??

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Aug 17 2010, 12:04 PM) *

Does anyone have a source for the correct parts paint to use on fuel tank, steering rack access panel, etc.?

I have seen some cars with fuel tanks refinished in a gloss black, but it seems the corrrect finish is less shiny. Not quite a flat black though.

semi or satin black is the color NOT flat or gloss black. I would have the pieces powder painted because if not one drop of gasoline on a spray bombed tank and it is all over.
Tom_T
Randy - check out Pat Garvey's topic on his fuel tank resto thread from a few weeks back. IIRC it's in the Garage forum, but may be in O&H if not there.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Aug 17 2010, 01:04 PM) *

Depends on the year of your 914.

In all cases, the steering rack panel should be redone in satin black. I disagree with George's opinion on powder coating. It isn't a Factory finish (shame on you George), and is prone to chipping.

I would strip the plate to bare, reduce all rust (if any) corrosion with hard sanding, prime it with a good quality automotive primer (FLAPS) & spray it with the correct paint from WolfsbergWest. I say this because I've had huge success with their paint on my tank. Now, with that in mind, consult them for the proper color for your 914.

Remember, 914 gas tanks had several colors applied to them through the year. Most are simply satin black - but there are others & it depends on the year/position of the year as to what color your tank should be.

So long as it hasn't been redone, you should be able to clean & compound your tank to get a proper surface color.

Remember, these components were manufactured by VW. You won't find Porsche paint on them.
Pat
RFoulds
Thanks all. After comparing the tank to a few others, I believe my tank is Satin Black. Unfortunately, although the outside appears perfect, the inside is beyond salvage.

So many large chunks of rust, that it must be close to perforated in about 10 places. I will keep it to see if it can be re-lined in some way in the future, but for now, I got a decent replacement from Terry Burke in Riverside.

As for steering rack access panel, I stripped it and removed any signs of rust. (none, really) primed it and was ready to paint. But, I used a low grade primer and the surface is a lot less than smooth. Rather than sand it again, I am going to strip off the cheap primer and start over.

I am finding it a little tough here in CA, since so many of my regular suppliers won't ship anything here!

RFoulds
I just spoke with Jeremy at Goodspeed Motoring Products in Modesto. His experience with a vintage Volvo and a vintage VW leads him to recommend the Wurth White Alloy paint instead of Wurth Silver Alloy paint.

He thought the color better matched the period wheels, and had less mettalic flake.

Anyone have any experience with this paint??

IPB Image

Here is my Boxster wheel refinished in the Wurth SILVER. I do think it is a slightly darker, more modern look than the 914 steel wheel should have.

IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.