Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who owns the oldest 914 in the US?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixerdon

I suppose this could apply to a /4 OR /6.
We know about 914/6 #0011 & the /6 prototype. What about the /4's? This could be interesting.
Read here;

https://porsche.promo.eprize.com/60years/di...=classic_search

Don
scotty b
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif rolleyes.gif
Sleepin
My Dad owns /4 #1140....I am sure there are quite a few older than that though.
SirAndy
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 17 2010, 06:06 PM) *

agree.gif
JRust
I've got 1050 with a build date of 1/70 . It was a 4 but not anymore. V8 now drooley.gif
Ferg
Other than popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif #0111 IIRC was sold out of boulder a few years back. It was converted to a six and a nice car. Build date Sept 69 I think.
avidfanjpl
On the 73 2.0L model, which started shipping in August, 1972 to America.

I have #(47239) 1102 with a 9/72 black tag, with the engine number GA000336

I am dying to know how many are left from the first 500 2.0L's done in Model Year 1973 but built in mid 1972 for that MY.

I have only seen 1 picture in my life with the black original vinyl still on the front pillars. The pisser was that it was also Signal Orange 73 2.0L, but the pic is 38 years old or thereabouts. I think Tom T has it.

I have not checked with Steve Gaglione on his Beige 2 liter, but I know Tom T's 2.0L is REALLY close in age to mine, as both our cars were august/september builds. His body is older but my block is earlier. There are 335 GA motors ahead of mine, and that makes me wonder. Maybe 50 or 100 left working?

Thank you, Karmann for your inconsistency.

And I think it is good to know all 4 models earliest into USA that are still running.

It's not like there are a lot of 914's left running.

What is a reasonable estimate?

17,000 in US/Canada? Am I high? No, but ATL is HOT and MUGGY and I am not used to it!

Inquiring minds want to know!

It's one thing to ask for the earliest car into the US, but there are 4 distinct models, 5 if you count M471's, 6 if you count 914-6 GT, 7 if you count 916's, but we know who has one. 8 if you count 6's with sportmatics.

I would like to know the earliest 1.7 in 1970 and 1.8 in 73.

And maybe the last 914 into the US ever. Where did it go?

Something like Jeff Bowlsby has going for the LE's. I hope to see George's new Bumblebee tomorrow, along with everything else. I have a list of people that want to see pictures.

See my points on the lists being done?

Right between my ears.

John
IronHillRestorations
A friend of mine in MS had a 914 before the first of January 1970, and possibly may have been one of the first to have ummmm. . . . . intimate relations in a 914!
balljoint
I don't know but I will also be eating some popcorn while I watch this thread.

Oh, and I hope that whoever actually has the oldest 914 in North America is a member here and lists the VIN in our database...

smile.gif
Bleyseng
Heck, I want to know who has the last 914!
dflesburg
Look in the vin listing....

Great Pumpkin's car has a build date of 12/69 but there are older ones in there.

scotty b
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 17 2010, 05:46 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 17 2010, 06:06 PM) *

agree.gif

idea.gif I haven't seen him post in a good while, is he still a member, or did he get the boot when he started the stromberg.gif talking again ? confused24.gif
sixerdon
Read the first sentence.

"We are on the search for the oldest Porsche (914) vehicles sold in America!"

This could mean #0011 and the prototype are disqualified! They may be looking for a legit' US import of which the above are not. That could give the inside track to a four since it has been reported the fours were brought over before the sixes.
Don
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Aug 18 2010, 06:05 AM) *

Read the first sentence.

"We are on the search for the oldest Porsche (914) vehicles sold in America!"

This could mean #0011 and the prototype are disqualified! They may be looking for a legit' US import of which the above are not. That could give the inside track to a four since it has been reported the fours were brought over before the sixes.
Don

I agree probably disqualified. They want the oldest car delivered by a US dealer
realred914
I had an october 1969 build 914 came with USA federal sticker on door jam, but had no evap system installed ever. a factory mistake (inquired with factory and that is all they could comne up with, mistake! ) funny car it was.
RiqueMar
If I remember correctly, I believe my build date was Jan/Feb of 70'. Hmmmmm, now I'm curious, I'll check. idea.gif
burton73
I just looked at my maintenance book for #41 914-6 and the delivery date was 1-4-70. To National City CA. Dick Barbour/Porsche Audi

Bob B
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Aug 17 2010, 06:05 PM) *
Who owns the oldest 914

How about Norbert Schlüter who owns the original clay model that was designed by Heinrich Klie, the father of the 914 ...

IPB Image

biggrin.gif Andy

PS: More reading about the design process of the 914, the still existing clay model and Klie's own 914:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=51265

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=81380
realred914
I do know who owns the second oldest VW Bug in N. America as determined by VWOA back in the 60s. It is a 1946 Bug, pretty cool, rustis looking but way cool, many left over nazi era parts on that car. it was built from parts of left over kubel wagen stuff. lot different than the later "production" post war bugs.

so what do we get from porsche if we have the oldest 914, trade for a GT3 or something so thay can put it in their museum or run an ad with it????
bembry
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 27 2010, 10:56 AM) *

QUOTE(sixerdon @ Aug 17 2010, 06:05 PM) *
Who owns the oldest 914

How about Norbert Schlüter who owns the original clay model that was designed by Heinrich Klie, the father of the 914 ...

IPB Image

biggrin.gif Andy

PS: More reading about the design process of the 914, the still existing clay model and Klie's own 914:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=51265

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=81380

Whoa! Porsche even put rust on the clay prototype? (see hood) How fitting! laugh.gif
tracks914
Looks like the clay model had vents coming out the back bumper???
Project 6
Speed holes....
sixerdon
So the oldest 914 (dealer imported?) in the US has been selected by PCNA. It's a 1970 914/6 #0172 and located in Florida. I guess they didn't research our data base.
Someone should at least add it for the record. At least it's alive and looks good. Any one know the car/owner?

Look here;
https://porsche.promo.eprize.com/classic/di...ge?page=gallery

Don
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Nov 29 2010, 01:38 PM) *
It's a 1970 914/6 #0172 and located in Florida. I guess they didn't research our data base.
Someone should at least add it for the record.

Added ...
realred914
i had I believe it was an oct or nov 1969 build date 914-4, it was totaled some ten or so years ago. USA federal stickers, yet had absolutly no provisions for the charcoal canister system, hole tubes, no holes in the body, no nipple on the fan house, nothing! caused a issue at smog test time back then, i actually got a letter from Porsche that teh car was indeed shipped as a US spec car. and then told verbally it was probably a mix up in factory labling and destination!

serial number was not that low, about 1000 or so.
914itis
QUOTE(realred914 @ Nov 29 2010, 05:03 PM) *

i had I believe it was an oct or nov 1969 build date 914-4, it was totaled some ten or so years ago. USA federal stickers, yet had absolutly no provisions for the charcoal canister system, hole tubes, no holes in the body, no nipple on the fan house, nothing! caused a issue at smog test time back then, i actually got a letter from Porsche that teh car was indeed shipped as a US spec car. and then told verbally it was probably a mix up in factory labling and destination!

serial number was not that low, about 1000 or so.

Can someone tell me the details on my vin? 4702906971
type47
QUOTE(ppetion @ Nov 29 2010, 02:32 PM) *

Can someone tell me the details on my vin? 4702906971

1970 914-4 1.7L D-Jet 5-speed, one of more than 20 thousand built for MY 1970 ... if you want more than that, you need the COA.
gms
I own 470.29.00076, Ralph Meaney's 3rd GT then an IMSA racecar
Karmann Number is 38 1 95 07
9/15/1969
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Racer
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Nov 29 2010, 01:38 PM) *

So the oldest 914 (dealer imported?) in the US has been selected by PCNA. It's a 1970 914/6 #0172 and located in Florida. I guess they didn't research our data base.
Someone should at least add it for the record. At least it's alive and looks good. Any one know the car/owner?

Look here;
https://porsche.promo.eprize.com/classic/di...ge?page=gallery

Don

Sorry to wake an old thread. That car is my dad's. Bought it new back in 1970. Still loves it and drives it!
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Racer @ Aug 20 2013, 09:47 PM) *

Sorry to wake an old thread. That car is my dad's. Bought it new back in 1970. Still loves it and drives it!

That's cool! It said he's in Florida. Whereabouts - might be a cool road trip if he wouldn't mind another Floridian 'teener dropping by of course. beerchug.gif
djporsche
I just made a deal to buy number #790. Original color L041 Black. I'm pretty stoked.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 18 2010, 07:25 AM) *

Heck, I want to know who has the last 914!

George Hussey told me he has the very last /6. I think most know about the oldest /6 in California. So it's down to the /4s I guess. We know about the 1st /4, but not sure if it's in America. Don't remember.
SirAndy
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Apr 23 2015, 08:49 PM) *
We know about the 1st /4, but not sure if it's in America. Don't remember.

It's in a museum in Germany ...
shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.