Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A First! Internet 914 Concours!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
This topic has been thrown around before. The responses were nil - to none.
Tod914 brought it up again today & I think it has merit.

The Worlds First I-Concours for 914's!

Could be fun, but we need rules (like pic size, quadrants, classes, etc). Like the idea, but want to hear from the masses.
Pat
orthobiz
Cool idea. I live a thousand miles from nowhere. A good way to get together and have fun.

Paul
Gustl
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Aug 18 2010, 02:33 AM) *

I live a thousand miles from nowhere.

so we might be neighbours ...? idea.gif

lol-2.gif av-943.gif

beerchug.gif

John
Save the time and just declare SMG914 the winner.
tod914
Make Steve one of the Judges smile.gif
Pat Garvey
I'm not hearing what I want to here! So, I'll repeat (and this will be the last attempt) - how can we pull this off?

What pics do we require?

How can we be assured that these pics aren't "shopped"?

Who should judge? What are their credentials?

Shoule we mandate the size of submitted pics?

How many pics, and from what angle should we require?

Does Scotty still puke when he chews tobacco?
P
914four
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 18 2010, 07:51 PM) *

I'm not hearing what I want to here! So, I'll repeat (and this will be the last attempt) - how can we pull this off?

Pat,

The concept of the internet 914 Concourse is interesting but the alteration (touch-up) of photographs might still present a problem. It seems like someone with after market parts might be able to "touch up" the photos to make them appear to be original.

Can internet Concourse really work?

Kelvin
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(PH1 @ Aug 18 2010, 09:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 18 2010, 07:51 PM) *

Pat,

The concept of the internet 914 Concourse is interesting but the alteration (touch-up) of photographs might still present a problem. It seems like someone with after market parts might be able to "touch up" the photos to make them appear to be original.

Can internet Concourse really work?

Kelvin

Good question Kelvin!
Have my doubts, because there is always Photo Shop, et all.
If I could get past that, as well as other problems, I'd be all for it.
Pat
orthobiz
Who would bother to fotoshop a bloody website concours? Surely bad things would happen to such a person long before they fry in hell.

Medium size pictures like on flick'r
Maybe establish a 914 group on flick'r

As for angles, one of us could have a picture of us taking a picture. Pair the two photos and it should give a good idea for standardization.

You're sounding a wee bit impatient, Pat. I'm gonna go clean my car.

Paul
PanelBilly
No entry fee, no prize money. I agree why would someone cheat and who cares if they do?

Work through the cars in sections and let's us all vote like a pole.

I'd also like a class for unfinished cars as that will allow many more of our members to join in (like me)
tod914
Pat, suggestion, break it down in 2 classes to start. Preservation/original & Restored/modified. That should get a bunch of interest like Billy mentioned. Use a modified pca score sheet & post it, so the people entering know how their cars will be evaluated. Then maybe have a reference car, don't matter whos or what condition.. with detailed shots of all the areas to be shown by each member. Think this pca chapter they judge trunks, engine bay, wheel wells, interior and exterior. You could even go as far as to having a friend come by and pre-judge the car and submit a score sheet. Lots of the hidden areas will be difficult to see dirt/grime etc in photos. I don't think ethics need to be questioned for something that is going to be just for fun. In all the years on here, I can count on one hand, people I wouldn't trust. And, concours thingy like this wouldn't have any relevance. Lots of guys like yourself, Dave Cheek, Don, George, Paul, Tom B, whom done enough events to come up with a good plan to make it enjoyable. smile.gif
watsonrx13
Pat sounds like a great idea. aktion035.gif

-- Rob
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Aug 20 2010, 04:01 PM) *

Pat, suggestion, break it down in 2 classes to start. Preservation/original & Restored/modified. That should get a bunch of interest like Billy mentioned. Use a modified pca score sheet & post it, so the people entering know how their cars will be evaluated. Then maybe have a reference car, don't matter whos or what condition.. with detailed shots of all the areas to be shown by each member. Think this pca chapter they judge trunks, engine bay, wheel wells, interior and exterior. You could even go as far as to having a friend come by and pre-judge the car and submit a score sheet. Lots of the hidden areas will be difficult to see dirt/grime etc in photos. I don't think ethics need to be questioned for something that is going to be just for fun. In all the years on here, I can count on one hand, people I wouldn't trust. And, concours thingy like this wouldn't have any relevance. Lots of guys like yourself, Dave Cheek, Don, George, Paul, Tom B, whom done enough events to come up with a good plan to make it enjoyable. smile.gif

Tod,
I would say to you...."run with it". It's your baby.

I was the Chairman for the '93 Parade Concours. Burned me out! Try a year of prep & finding a venue, then renting carpet, then begging for judges, then finding prep space ........etc. Little sleep & lots of responsibility. Turned out well but burned me out.

So, I'm all for this e-concours, so long as you do it.

I'm here to moderate. Your game & good luck. Go for it!
Pat
tod914
Cool deal Pat. Lets see what all of us can come up with and put it together, without making it too complicated. Could be fun. Any suggestions from anyone greatly appreciated. I have a concours event on the 11th of Sept. I'll also run it by the local PCA judges then, for some scoring input and ideas. Pat would you want a new forum here to do this and keep it on the site? Or, would you and Andy prefer we go with a Flick'r account like Paul suggested? Hopefull some of you guys with Judging experience would like to help out as well. Thanks, Tod
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Aug 24 2010, 09:20 AM) *

Cool deal Pat. Lets see what all of us can come up with and put it together, without making it too complicated. Could be fun. Any suggestions from anyone greatly appreciated. I have a concours event on the 11th of Sept. I'll also run it by the local PCA judges then, for some scoring input and ideas. Pat would you want a new forum here to do this and keep it on the site? Or, would you and Andy prefer we go with a Flick'r account like Paul suggested? Hopefull some of you guys with Judging experience would like to help out as well. Thanks, Tod

Tod,
Why don't we keep it private. I can set up a subforum for this purpose.
Let's keep it in the family.

BTW, happy to help with judging - have a little experience there. LMK
tod914
Stay tuned folks, we're diligently working on it. We'll keep you all posted. Should be about a month before the rough guidelines are set up. Looking at setting up a people's choice catagory for all entrants, a preservation group, and a modified/restored group. Will likely need several judges, so if you have any restoration/judging experience, please let us know. Will also post this in the main forum once everything is set up. Thanks.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Aug 28 2010, 12:17 PM) *

Stay tuned folks, we're diligently working on it. We'll keep you all posted. Should be about a month before the rough guidelines are set up. Looking at setting up a people's choice catagory for all entrants, a preservation group, and a modified/restored group. Will likely need several judges, so if you have any restoration/judging experience, please let us know. Will also post this in the main forum once everything is set up. Thanks.

Tod,

We did it! Got a subforum created for the event. I didn't have the power, but McMark came through - we HAVE a subforum.

Now look guys, this subforum is (and I PROMISED it would be) an event forum. Please din't make an ass of me.

Tod914, you are in charge of this subforum, be it official or unofficial. Please keep it on task. I actually begged for it, and promised that we would keep it on topic. All discussions concerning concours prep should be made in the regular )&C forum. The subforum MUST be used for competition only. Those are the rules. If I (or McMark) find topics straying, we WILL either delete or move them.

Don't mean to sound nasty, but I begged & pleaded for days for this subforum & promised it would be kept clean to it's purpose. All of you - please don't make an ass of me.

It's your show Tod. Be happy to be a judge.
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Aug 18 2010, 11:38 AM) *

Make Steve one of the Judges smile.gif

Tod,
You are now the I-Chairman. I had to jump through hoops to get a subforum created for this purpose. Please keep it on-topic. I WILL remove posts that aren't on-topic (my butt's on the line)

It's your show & I'll be happy to be a judge.
Pat
tod914
Thanks Pat, much appreciated.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Aug 29 2010, 06:49 AM) *

Thanks Pat, much appreciated.

Go for it Tod - it's your show! Happy to help, if I can.
Let's make this low key and fun.

Let's make it an annual event.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.