Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 1.7 engine removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdArango
Hello everyone, im finally at the step to remove my engine. I emptied the as tank last night and now i can finally remove the engine. Does anyone have any ideas or videos that will help me remove the engine???

THANKS

ED
crest.gif
RonnieJ
QUOTE(EdArango @ Aug 19 2010, 01:55 PM) *

Hello everyone, im finally at the step to remove my engine. I emptied the as tank last night and now i can finally remove the engine. Does anyone have any ideas or videos that will help me remove the engine???

THANKS

ED
crest.gif

Here is the step by step on the Pelican Parts site. I used this for my first engine removal and it is a very accurate write up.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...engine_drop.htm
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Ed there is a procedure in the appendix of the "TECH TIPS 700" book.

QUOTE(EdArango @ Aug 19 2010, 10:55 AM) *

THANKS

ED
crest.gif

Cap'n Krusty
Uh, why did you drain the gas tank?

The Cap'n
EdArango
ok thank you guys. im going to follow the steps and try to drop tonight. i'll keep u guys posted on it!

THANKS

ED
crest.gif
TROJANMAN
I've removed a 2.0 engine a few times, but never a 1.7

good luck
EdArango
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 19 2010, 11:15 AM) *

The Cap'n

the reason why i drained the tank was because i followed the pelican parts tech articles way of removing a 914 engine and it said that it was better for the gas tank to be drained
EdArango
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Aug 19 2010, 11:17 AM) *

I've removed a 2.0 engine a few times, but never a 1.7

good luck

THANKS !

i really hope the engine will come out without any problems
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(EdArango @ Aug 19 2010, 01:24 PM) *

The Cap'n

the reason why i drained the tank was because i followed the pelican parts tech articles way of removing a 914 engine and it said that it was better for the gas tank to be drained

That might possibly be the stupidist thing I've ever heard. confused24.gif screwy.gif

Pelican makes it a whole lot harder than it has to be.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Aug 19 2010, 01:46 PM) *

QUOTE(EdArango @ Aug 19 2010, 01:24 PM) *

The Cap'n

That might possibly be the stupidist thing I've ever heard. confused24.gif screwy.gif

Pelican makes it a whole lot harder than it has to be.

Well, considering that most people have to drain gas in the tank at sometime during a restoration (or it will rot and gum up the fuel system) it is a pretty far from stupid suggestion. By draining the tank, you can burn the gas in your DD before it goes sour, and not have to worry about potential fires while you are working on your car.

I don't think that it is a bad thing to do.

Anyway. Once you get the shifter bar and CV's loose, the rest is pretty easy. If you use one of Chris Foley engine lifting plates, the whole process becomes MUCH easier! Remember, you do not need to remove the heat exchangers or muffler - only the flex hoses that connect it to the cabin heating system.

Zach
EdArango
Oh...and we plan on cleaning out the whole gas tank area as well. So removing the fuel makes the tank lighter to lift out.

ED

p.s. That was my 16 year old son that posted this thread.
raw1298
I dropped and installed my 1.7 by myself. Would have been easier with a little help. Don't forget the ground strap on the transaxle.
Pat Garvey
Look, this doesn't need to be major undertaking! I've removed mine 3 times, last time by myself - took 2 hours.

Beforehand, I built a carrier for the engine/tranny from some 1x2 frames, 3x4 plywood platform & el cheapo casters. Keep it - you'll want it again.

Folllowed the factory manual, lowered the m/t combo onto the carrier & it was out. I, personally, recommend removing the muffler & H/E's because it makes the progress easier and you should probably change all those seals anyway. Once out, I can roll it to wherever I want to inspect, spruce. Went inside it once, for nothing - all in spec (more seals!).

It's easy (well, it used to be before I became a fogey), but just have plenty of clearance & mark all disconnects.

Good time to replace everything rubber too.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.