Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it possible to install a Dist. 180 out?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rat
Did some top end work and reassembled the motor installed new SVDA dist on my 2056 with 40 dell and can't get her to start.Got spark and fuel but no start.Is it possible to install the dizzy wrong?I followed the instructions from the supplier and the Haynes book.
SirAndy
QUOTE(914rat @ Aug 19 2010, 08:07 PM) *
Is it possible to install the dizzy wrong?

Yes. Do a search here, this has happened to a few of us, me included ...

dry.gif Andy
Spoke
I had the same issue. Had to pop one of the valve covers off to determine TDC for at least one of the cylinders.

I pulled the dizzy drive gear out with a dowel rod and turned it until I got the correct alignment.
tornik550
QUOTE(914rat @ Aug 19 2010, 11:07 PM) *

Did some top end work and reassembled the motor installed new SVDA dist on my 2056 with 40 dell and can't get her to start.Got spark and fuel but no start.Is it possible to install the dizzy wrong?I followed the instructions from the supplier and the Haynes book.

There is a offset tooth that inserts into the distributor drive pinion. It is offset so that you cannot install the distributor 180 off. If you pulled out the drive pinion, you could easily re-install it wrong. If you took your distributor apart, you could have installed the toothed part at the bottom of the dizzy backwards (I did).

Make sure that the distributor is in tightly and that the tooth is inserted properly in the pinion. Grab the rotor and make sure that you cannot turn it. If you can then it is not in properly.

Disclaimer- I am defiantly not one of the forum experts.
SirAndy
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Aug 19 2010, 08:16 PM) *
It is offset so that you cannot install the distributor 180 off.

Not quite correct ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=24861

unsure.gif Andy
SirAndy
More reading material ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13804

That engine was a 'turn key' package with 0 miles i bought. We tried really hard to make it work. Weeks of work and countless additional parts went into this 'turn key' engine.

It ended up as a $4k paperweight. It was taken apart, some good parts were sold and the rest i kept as a reminder of just how bad things can get.

Live and learn ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
championgt1
Wow Andy. Just read that thread. Bummer!

Sorry for the hijack.
914rat
I never pulled out the drive gear and it ran before with the 009 and petronics.I pulled a valve cover to check TDC before I pulled the old dizzy.With the offset it seemes dang near impossible to put it in wrong but it sure don't start and the Idle jets are spraying/dripping gas.
Tom
Did you put on new cap and wires also. Are you sure you have them in the right places? I had a couple reversed and no start.
Tom
carr914
It's possible, URY installed a dizzy 180 out on his Raby, shot a flame across the room and almost burned my hair off.
ME733
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 20 2010, 01:10 AM) *

More reading material ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13804

That engine was a 'turn key' package with 0 miles i bought. We tried really hard to make it work. Weeks of work and countless additional parts went into this 'turn key' engine.

It ended up as a $4k paperweight. It was taken apart, some good parts were sold and the rest i kept as a reminder of just how bad things can get.

Live and learn ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy

Question for sir andy....when you disassembled the paperweight, did you find that the camshaft ....had been bolted to/ or installed incorrectly on the camgear.?...just curious............murray
SirAndy
QUOTE(ME733 @ Aug 20 2010, 06:45 PM) *
Question for sir andy....when you disassembled the paperweight, did you find that the camshaft ....had been bolted to/ or installed incorrectly on the camgear.?...just curious............murray

The camshaft gear was bolted on correctly but the lobes had excessive wear ...

The "expert engine builder" had used *used* lifters from at least two different sets!
headbang.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.