Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: What do you guys do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
don9146
B.S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering with an emphasis in Industrial Engineering. Currently working as a tech support and supervisor (or is that stupervisor) for the Visteon Glass Plant in Nashville, TN in the Pressform windsheild department.
Neal
29 years in the telecommunications field. CICS,DB2,IMS,TCP/IP,MVS System support. I am working for IBM now doing CICS Sytems Support. Have some Unix and NT training. I am sending my son off to College this summer with a daughter 2 years behind so retirement is out of the question as is my 3.6 conversion. I love that this forum has such a diverse group of people.

Neal
jonwatts
I'm a metric cog in an imperial machine.
Carl
I'm a metric cog in an imperial machine.

That explains the missing teeth. w00t.gif
jonwatts
Good one Carl!
Bleyseng
What the hell do you do Jon?

Geoff
campbellcj
Hey Sang, that sounds like a "fun" job but is it -really- ???

I work and live, respectively, right around the corner from Activision and THQ. I know that it is damn hard to get jobs there due to the perceived fun-factor and have also heard that the pay is not fantastic for same reason.

Any insight would be appreciated as those two companies are resume targets if my current gig goes in the tank!
jonwatts
Oh Geoff, why did you have to go and open Pandora's Rant?

Similar to what Chris just said, I have one of those jobs that sounds cool but isn't all that. What it comes down to is I'm a software engineer. In my experience it doesn't matter what the end product is (Mars rover, game console, coffee maker), programming is a lot of boredom and frustration with brief spurts of gratification maybe 2 or 3 times a year. The only thing worse than having to use crappy software is having to write it so it fits into someone's abortion of an architecture. Compound this with the Dilbert management style of my present company and it really starts to wear on you after a while. Corporate culture doesn't fit with me too well anyway. I have issues with authority figures Yack.gif

Yeah I know, if it were supposed to be fun they wouldn't call it 'work'. My problem is I'm stupid enough to want to be happy. It will actually be good if I can squeak out a new career in the next 2-3 years since all the software jobs are going overseas anyway. Believe it. It may not go smoothly at first but management is getting qualified engineers for 1/10th your pay ($8k - $15k a year in India and China). They will keep at it until they make it work.

Ok, enough of whiny crybaby. I'm going to watch Letterman.
Gint
Dude, you're funny. You're also correct. What do you want to be when you grow up? I still haven't decided.
Bleyseng
Oh, ok...one of those jobs. I have a 914 friend who did what you do, made a ton of money and is now a part time actor, movie editor, volleyball player. You just need to get lucky and find the "right job at the right time". He is one happy dude now days, even has a girlfriend.

Geoff laugh.gif
davep
BSc in Physics many years back.
Short stints in various jobs including as a VW/Audi dealer service manager.
Recently, 15 years for a manufacturer of themoelectric coolers as Technical Manager.

Hobby business since 1988 selling 914 parts and service. Also do some electronic design, service, and manufacturing. Even get to travel (Switzerland!!!) for training on machines I get to service.

Dog breeder & bather. I get the jobs like restraining the bitch while our boy has his fun. Or whelping. But the little guys are a lot of fun; we have about 8 mini poodles.
Zaney
BS in Biology from good ol' WAZZU!

Then, Part-time musician/womanizer/bar-hopper/freeloader

Now, biggrin.gif All-American flag.gif German Kar driving Firefighter! happy11.gif

Life is too short to live in the slow lane! rocking nana.gif
Nate
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.