Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: What do you guys do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Brett W
Like the title says. What kind of education and careers or jobs do you guys have.
TimT
Looking for a career path?
BIGKAT_83
Do consulting work with paper mills. In fact I was a Engineer at a Paper Mill about 35 miles west of Huntsville, AL for 10 years.

Bob
Bleyseng
Education? Went to school and then more school.
Career-run a construction company, my own. Trying to put a web site together for it.

Geoff
Joe Bob
Environmental/Haz Mat Investigator, County of SB....State Licensed Investigator, DAD, Dog Walker and pooper scooperer.....
mikester
Network Security Administrator - Los Angeles Unified School District.

Yippeeity dooo daa.

boldblue.gif
eresener
Retired Video Producer...now an independent software training partner for Ulead.com

Ed
sawzall-smiley.gif
carreraguy
Retired USN, commercial property owner/manager w/MBA.
Caveman
I work for VISA. Funny thing is, I'm the one paying them.

Revenue Officer for the Internal Revenue Service. I go knocking on April 16th! happy11.gif

Oh, and use to work at NASA in Mountain View, CA. MCSE, CCNA. Have my CPA now.
skline
Computer network support engineer. I set up local and wide area networks and do support for about 20 clients in Southern California. Its a job.
Education? MCSE/CCNA/CCDA and a few others.
tracks914
College, former mechanic, millright then and now mech/electrical mtce supervisor. Jack of all, master of none! calvin.gif
SpecialK
Fighter Aircraft Surgeon.....okay, assembler/mechanic/composite repair/inspector/ general shit disturber :finger2: /beer drinker beer.gif and rumor starter.....basically

Graduated with a degree in CAD, and hope to find a job here so I can use it...

Dr. Kevin Jung m.d.........20/20 wink.gif
GaroldShaffer
Field Engineering Mgr for Motorola. Whenever you see a cellular tower for Verizon, Sprint, ALLTEL, Nextel, and few other smaller networks there is a good chance myself or one of my guys has been there and worked on the equipment.

I have Associates in Electronic Engineering from ITT tech Ft Wyane (class of 85) been working in cellular ever since barf.gif I need 8 1/2 more years then I can retire with full pention and start a new career doing something I really like to do. What I'm not sure but it won't have anything to do with a communications company!

- Garold
Demick
Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering.

Now I design computers and networking equipment.

Demick
seanery
I edit video and do graphic design.
watsonrx13
Two 2-year degrees, AA pre-engineer, AS computer science.

Currently a technical manager for an international insurance company.

Previous experience was Oracle contract programmer, bartender, limo driver, long shoreman, draftsman, surveyor, cameraman, technical illustrator, used car salesman, steamship agent.
TGM
Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering
Director of Engineering at automotive components company
Going for MBA this fall
dgw
QUOTE(Caveman @ Apr 14 2004, 05:37 PM)
I work for VISA.  Funny thing is, I'm the one paying them.

I work for Visa too, but they are paying me.

I'm a nerd, for 28 years now.

mueba.gif
SirAndy
computer geek. run my own company. actually, i'm co-owner of 3 technology related companies.

still not making any money, but hey, what else is new ...

i wish i could just leave it all behind and go and start a race/restoration shop with brad!
driving.gif Andy
914rick
Own a cigar shop. It doesn't get any better. aktion035.gif
Rick
jarbuthnot
Retired from a CRS (Computer Reservation System), was a Senior Project Manager.

Education: kicked out of high school, dropped out of college. mueba.gif
Qarl
Gigalo
TheCabinetmaker
School of hard knocks. USAF, A&P/A&E license. Master cabinetmaker. Published songwriter. All around asshole. 914 preservationist.
Hawk
Shepherd. Currently out of work. laugh.gif
Bleyseng
Looks like Qarl has the best job!

Sean puts his skills to good work by drawing smilies pissing in the snow.

Andy wants to go to work with Brad doing race/restaurants? whats that? Hot dogs served really fast?

Geoff laugh.gif clap56.gif
TimT
I was shown the door in high school as well...

Other than those testosterone filled years Ive done OK

BS in Engineering (Civil)

Certified with:

AWS (American Welding Society)
Nace (National Institute of Corrosion Engineers) of special mention to 914 owners laugh.gif
ACI ( American Concrete Institute)

I will add this tidbit..If I have kids and one of them expresses a desire to become an engineer Id try to persuade them not too....
william harris
Well, let's see. BA with a major in philosophy (1974) and Juris Doctor in 1977. I run my own law firm and spend as much time as possible having fun with my family (five kids) and restore unappreciated sports cars as a full-time hobby. clap56.gif
ppickerell
I dropped out of HS and ran away to cali and got a job making the springs that pop out of the turkey when it's done. 30 yrs later I own and operate the coolest CNC machining company in the SF bay area specializing in minimally invasive surgical devices. Jake's Dad will for sure have something we made used in the surgeries he is undergoing. I get to play with Lasers!
www.peridotcorp.com
klink
Hi everyone. I have been following you guys for about a year and thought it was time to join in. I have learned alot from you all and I just wanted to say thanks for all of the advice and ideas that has helped us with our project. Occupation???....Troubleman for So. Cal. Edison. I'd be that guy up on the pole or down in the vault trying to keep everybody's lights on.
mightyohm
BS/MS in Electrical Engineering. Circuit designer for a wireless/RF company. And I am only half the nerd I used to be...
Steve
I have a two year ASEET degree from tv channel 40, Heald College School of Technology graduate of class 1986.
I have been a LAN and WAN field engineer since then.
The last 5 years I have been working for Alcatel as a Presales VOIP engineer.
I design VOIP systems for private businesses and mainly School districts.
Our largest install so far is Clark County School District in Vegas.
310 schools, 45,000 users all networked with centralized voice mail, PRI's, etc..
The cost savings by dumping there centrix lines payed for the whole thing.

This was unpayed advertisement announcement.

I am also on salary and have no life except for a couple of hours on the weekend to work on my 914.
I wonder if Cisco is hiring....

Steve
Howard
Semi Retired insurance broker. Work 3 days per week, 14 handicap car nut looking for next way to make a million$.
Rusty
Klink! Your first post! Welcome!! clap56.gif

//break//

What do I do for a living? I kill people.

And the answer to your next question is... yes.

Lots of electrical / technology folks here. Not that I'm surprised, but... just never really considered our vocational demographics before.

-Rusty smoke.gif
PatW
I get to play with Industrial Ceramics. When I am not doing that I have to inspect the work. If not that, I get to razz our suppliers. If not that, I cow-tow to our customers. If not that, I get to play with the Mills and Lathes in the shop. Soon I'll get some time with the CNC equipment.

Pat
Mueller
edumacation=Airframe & Powerplant lic.

main job=Mechanical Designer/Drafter
side job=stuff for your cars to make 'em better/faster MDB2.gif
East coaster
2nd level hardware/software engineering lead for the FAA's En Route air traffic system. We handle most commercial traffic, so if you've flown anywhere you used my system! Schooling?...........High School and 17 years with IBM, then FAA for 7 years.

I'd rather be tinkering in my garage though!!
Howard
Rusty, as a former cannon cocker, let me thank you for being there so I don't have to. Remeber the 'join the army, go to exotic lands, meet interesting people and kill them?' God bless you and your crew.

Did you get the T-Sirts I sent?
415PB
I am a Deputy Sheriff assigned to the contract city of Palm Desert, Ca. Ride a BWM motorcycle full-time. Aside from helping people, riding is the best part of the job. I was a cop overseas on the island of Guam for 8 years before moving here. If any of you folks ever drive through the Palm Springs area, contact me beerchug.gif Oh, and thank you Rusty for defending the freedom my family and I have today.

http://palmdesertpolice.org/trafficdivision.html
Joe Bob
Rod...I'll be down Friday night.....
415PB
Mike call me when you get in...
Rusty
Howard and Rod... thank you for the kind words.

Howard, no. I didn't receive any t-shirts. If you don't mind, would you PM me the package info, and I can check with my mail clerk.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(415PB @ Apr 14 2004, 07:06 PM)
Mike call me when you get in...

Want me to bring the motor???? laugh.gif
415PB
Maria said finger.gif laugh.gif
andys
Product Eng'g Manager (mech. Engr.) for a medical device research foundation (neurological stimulation stimulation devices). Patrick Pickerell, we should talk! Also co-own a dental products manufacturing business. Always wanted to be in a car related business, but it never happened.

Andy
Curvie Roadlover
I'm the guy that edits in all the "bleeps" for MTV's "The Osbournes"
red914
high school history teacher currently working with special needs students at a small private special education institute. most of my career has been working at military boarding schools.

Rusty: thanks, and take care of the Marines out there with you.
dakotaewing
Former life : Photographer for 20 years - starting at the Dallas Morning News photo dept when I was 16. Went to Brooks in Santa Barbra and was done when I was 20 -
Saw a lot of Asia shooting hotels... or I should say I saw a lot of hotel rooms in Asia!
Left the biz 2.5 years ago... I was tired of being away from my wife and kids for 6 weeks at a time -
Now, I 'm a Mortgage Banker...
I specialize in FHA Staged Funded Manufactured Housing Loans
boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
Trekkor
Licenced Cal. tile contractor.

K.Trekkor Wills Tile

Tiling the Napa Valley. mueba.gif
J P Stein
Autocrosser
boxstr
Graduate Magna Cum Laude ITT Tech, Camp Counselor
CCLINDOH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.