Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a trained eye...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
Hey fellas,
Car ('73 1.7L) likes to not idle too well and I've always thought it was partly due to a vacuum leak somewhere. I took the air cleaner out for the first time today to vacuum out leaves and cedar, and found a hose not connected to anything.

The hose not connected to anything is connected to the distributor on one end, and was laying underneath the air cleaner on the other.

I also noticed that the thing by the battery tray appears to be missing some connections on either side (decel valve maybe?)

Can you take a look at the attached pics and see if you spot anything not right with the connections? Where would that distributor hose connect to?

I also have an after-market air cleaner that is supposed to work for the 2.0L. I thought this was swappable with the 1.7L, but the 1.7 has 2 90degree bends in the plastic air cleaner, and the 2.0L one only has 1. You can see in the pic where the previous owner put some kind of glue or something on the intake and I thought maybe there's a leak there as well.

does anyone have a 1.7L intake plastic piece with no cracks?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
stateofidleness
*bump* can someone post a link to a 1.7L hose diagram maybe? I've seen em on here before but can't seem to locate it now...
76-914
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Aug 29 2010, 04:51 PM) *

*bump* can someone post a link to a 1.7L hose diagram maybe? I've seen em on here before but can't seem to locate it now...

I think that pic is at Pelican's site. I'll let the experts chime in on the distributor hose. I think they came with adv only, ret only, both or none. Mine has both but the the retard side is factory blocked.
stateofidleness
was just browsing the forum and found some old posts with the pelican pic, but it's for a '70. Mine is a '73 and appears to have parts/hoses that aren't in that diagram.

I'm failry confident it is the "Decel Valve" that is next to the battery and it has an outlet on it that looks like it should have a hose connected to it, but doesn't. I'm also trying to research this small ID hose that comes off the distributor and not connected on the other end.
stateofidleness
A quick vid with my phone: http://stateofidleness.com/uploads/105.3gp

I found a nipple on the Throttle body that looked identical to another nipple with a vacuum line going to the distributor. I found 2 identical vacuum lines coming off the distributor, but only one was connected at the throttle body, now both are.

is it safe to run the car without the air cleaner on (TB closed) I want to be able to fiddle with the hose ends to see if the "sucking sound" changes when idling.
biggy72
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

You may have to use a combination of a couple of hose diagrams to figure yours out.

Good luck on finding a good J pipe. I bought one from someone awhile back and i was told that it was not cracked, but there was still one in it. If you can find one in relatively good shape you can patch up the crack with shoe goo or something like that. I ended up finding a good one from someone that I bought their entire djet system off of. They removed it back in about 1980 and the system looks like it so the J pipe didn't get too beat up.
TheCabinetmaker
The hose on the diz goes to the throttle body. The valve with three outlets is indeed the decel valve. A hose goes on all three. The small one that is missing connects to a piggy back elbow connection close to the oil filler tower (I think). The hose in the next to last pics comes from the AAR and connects to the rubber boot in the pic before it.
underthetire
that one looks close, but I never saw any vac line going to the fuel pressure reg on a 73 1.7, and no EGR

That looks like a Ljet diagram.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.