Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cooling air control cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cambo
I noticed the cooling air control cable is detatched. Don't know how long it's been that way. How is this activated? Do I just reconect it?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Cambo @ Aug 29 2010, 06:47 PM) *

I noticed the cooling air control cable is detatched. Don't know how long it's been that way. How is this activated? Do I just reconect it?

The able that controls the flaps?
1) make sure your bellows is still in tact and working. Otherwise all you will do is roast your motor as the flaps will never open.

2) there should be a wire from the bellows that goes to a pully and up through a small hole in the tin. THis attaches to the control arm via a nut.

I am guessing you will find the bellows missing, and the wire was never hooked up with in the first place.

Zach
Cambo
How do you access the bellows? Great, this thing was probably never hooked up. I thought this thing was running hot. Temp gauge doesn't read hot but it's probably not working either...
pilothyer
QUOTE(Cambo @ Aug 29 2010, 07:51 PM) *

How do you access the bellows? Great, this thing was probably never hooked up. I thought this thing was running hot. Temp gauge doesn't read hot but it's probably not working either...

The bellows is attached to a bracket on the drivers side of the engine case above the air guide. The cable is just a cable with a ferrule that passes through a union nut which is screwed onto the bellows. it goes around a pulley and up to the flaps, the flaps default by a spring to the open (warmed up) condition when the cable is disconnected.........Here is a picture of the whole set up:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/p...arts/115-10.php
Cambo
Thanks, the wire is laying below the arm that opens the flaps. I can just reatatch it, but I'm wondering how to know if the whole system is working once it's reatatched.??
pilothyer
I might add that some say this system is not needed, but indeed it is and is vital to your engine's life. The system is designed to bring the engine temp up to operating temp faster and then direct cooling air to the oil cooler and the cylinders and heads as needed. The system defaults to the warmed up position only if the spring and linkage is properly assembled.
pilothyer
QUOTE(Cambo @ Aug 29 2010, 08:28 PM) *

Thanks, the wire is laying below the arm that opens the flaps. I can just reatatch it, but I'm wondering how to know if the whole system is working once it's reatatched.??

Before attaching the cable actuate the arm against the spring tension and listen for the flaps moving and hitting their stops....then look to see that the bellows are retracted to the short position (cold)..... While the engine is cold close the flaps against the spring tension and while holding it there atttach the cable keeping the cable on the tight side......make sure the cable stays put on the pulley (or roller) then run the car to warm it up and look to see that the bellows have expanded out to the long position, thereby allowing the flaps to open.
Cambo
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Aug 29 2010, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Cambo @ Aug 29 2010, 08:28 PM) *

Before attaching the cable actuate the arm against the spring tension and listen for the flaps moving and hitting their stops....then look to see that the bellows are retracted to the short position (cold)..... While the engine is cold close the flaps against the spring tension and while holding it there atttach the cable keeping the cable on the tight side......make sure the cable stays put on the pulley (or roller) then run the car to warm it up and look to see that the bellows have expanded out to the long position, thereby allowing the flaps to open.

That's what I needed to know. THANKS!!!!! smile.gif
VaccaRabite
If the engine is running warm, not having the bellows hooked up is NOT the cause of it.

UNLESS

Unless the flaps in the fan housing are also not hooked up.

If the bellows is not hooked up, the issue is that your engine will run too cool, not too hot.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.