Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump wiring upgrade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rat
Just did it last week and no fuel.I can hear the relay click but no fuel.Put 2 male spades on the wires coming from the facet fuel pump and plugged them into the factory plug.Ran a jumper from the relay box to ground.Seemed simple enough.What's up, any ideas.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
If you have a facet pump you must have carburetion. The fuel pump will not work with stock wiring unless you have the control unit hooked up.
You can jumper the main power relay position to the fuel pump relay position and have the facet run when you turn the key on though sans control unit

QUOTE(914rat @ Aug 30 2010, 02:32 PM) *

Just did it last week and no fuel.I can hear the relay click but no fuel.Put 2 male spades on the wires coming from the facet fuel pump and plugged them into the factory plug.Ran a jumper from the relay box to ground.Seemed simple enough.What's up, any ideas.

914rat
Sorry I didn't mention it's a carbbed motor.I had it running off the coil before.Tried the jumper and plugging the wires from the facet right into the plug that would normally plug into a factory FI pump.From the facet green to factory plug brown.Facet red to factory plug black.Didn't seem hard but it must be over my limit cause it sure don't work.Jumper from male pin in relay board as shown in classic thread to ground.I'll swap out the relay and check the fuse.I still have the wires to run it off the coil so it's easy to change back.
SLITS
Pull the cover off the fuel pump relay and solder a wire from the switched hot pole (30 I think) to output pole (86 or 86A?, don't remember). I would have to look at a wiring diagram.

Done it several times.
swl
Rons way works - 30 to 87.

In the standard d-jet the ECU controls when the fuel pump will run. It does it by switching the neg side of the fuel pump relay to ground (pin 86) If you hardwire that to ground (which it sounds like you did) the fuel pump should run any time the ignition is turned to ON or START - just like hooking it up to the coil.

So you could also do it by using the 4 pin plug that used to be used for the ECU and take Pin III to a ground point.

Seems to me that would be a nice clean installation for a carb fuel pump. Everything stock including fusing. But also the flakey relay (which Ron removes from the equation.)
SirAndy
QUOTE(swl @ Aug 31 2010, 03:10 PM) *

In the standard d-jet the ECU controls when the fuel pump will run. It does it by switching the neg side of the fuel pump relay to ground (pin 87) If you hardwire that to ground (which it sounds like you did) the fuel pump should run any time the ignition is turned to ON or START - just like hooking it up to the coil.

You could do this by using the 4 pin plug that used to be used for the ECU and take Pin III to a ground point.

Seems to me that would be a nice clean installation for a carb fuel pump. Everything stock including fusing.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=25954

If that does not work, get your multimeter and follow the current. I'd start by replacing the relay with a known to be good one, like a headlight relay. Make sure all fuses are OK, including the fuses on the relay board. Trace the current step by step until you get reliable 12V from the stock pump connector.

bye1.gif Andy
swl
Dhoh!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.